It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apollo astronauts decry Obama space plans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Apollo astronauts decry Obama space plans

www.cnn.com

The Obama administration's vision for the future of manned space flight "will bump the United states to second or even third-rate" status as a space faring nation the commanders of three U.S. moon missions warned Wednesday.

The letter was signed by the first and last man to walk on the moon -- Neil Armstrong from Apollo 11 and Eugene Cernan from Apollo 17 -- and James Lovell who commanded the heroic Apollo 13 flight.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Even the first and last guys on the moon think Obama is screwing things up.

The Obama administration has decided to get rid of manned space flights, which IMO is a very bad decision. American astronauts now have to hitch a ride with the Russians just to get to the ISS.

We're now going to fall behind in the modern space race and it's looking unlikely that we'll be the first to put a man on Mars.

www.cnn.com

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

It is truly a sad day when WARS are more importany than DISCOVERY. Im heartbroken that Obama has basicaly raped the space program. I wish people would get their heads out of their backsides, but it dosent look like its going to be happening anytime soon. Its ok though, we can all watch Dancing with the Stars or American Idol and DEVOLVE together. Isnt it great.

P.s. For the record i cant stand either of these shows. As a metter of fact just this morning i got upset because the news on the freaking radio finds it necessary to let me know who got "eleminated" last night. Who gives a rats ass?

MessOnTheFED!

[edit on 14-4-2010 by MessOnTheFED!]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
not that i don't agree with you - cutting back funding on the space program is bogus and should not happen...i realy do feel this way

but ... what can he do?

I'd love to see cuts in programs like Welfare and such, but i guess i'll have to live in the real world on this one...welfare cuts aren't gonna happen.

However, that being said....my question still remains

what alternative does he have?

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

Try to stop people from raping the system so we might actually have a little funding for the space program? Perhaps we should start there.

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I read about this today,too,and while I'm not a big fan of all the money spent on who-knows-what,it just goes to prove here goes another part of America's greatness that Obama wants to "tranform".

From
www.politico.com...

"Although some of these proposals have merit, the accompanying decision to cancel the Constellation program, its Ares 1 and Ares V rockets, and the Orion spacecraft, is devastating.

"America’s only path to low Earth orbit and the International Space Station will now be subject to an agreement with Russia to purchase space on their Soyuz (at a price of over 50 million dollars per seat with significant increases expected in the near future) until we have the capacity to provide transportation for ourselves..."

So now it is "subject to an agreement with Russia"?

[edit on 14-4-2010 by On the Edge]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

people are freaking about about how we are basically in a depression...and even the right has been said to be against his program, which limits spending rather exponentially on a program that isn't completely necessary when it comes to the economy or welfare of the human populous.

that said, i do want tax increases toward nasa, what 5 cents more would do for them.

the rights attacking of obama over nasa is hypocrisy. they are paid by the people; albeit its very cheap for the people, but its apart of taxes. asking for this is the same as asking for taxes, while being adamant that no taxes should exist practically.

without nasa we wouldn't have advancements, we wouldn't have much that we have today if it wasn't for nasa. what we have tomorrow is also apart of them, and without great advances in tech by them, we will be left stagnant.

all i can say is...tax increases! and mars and moon missions are detrimental to the advancements of civilization.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

It sure is a good thing we got rid of the anti science president.

Ummm...wait...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Maybe its something else though!!

Maybe he has seen all the cool gear at area 51 and realises you dont need them expensive booster rokets when you got antigravity craft and are already mining the Moon and Mars

Not that I believe but this is ATS

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

Did you actually read the article? They're increasing overall funding but shifting funding away from manned flights.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by tektek2012
the rights attacking of obama over nasa is hypocrisy. they are paid by the people; albeit its very cheap for the people, but its apart of taxes. asking for this is the same as asking for taxes, while being adamant that no taxes should exist practically.

It's not hypocrisy to argue that the taxes we already pay should be reassigned. Nobody is saying we should pay more taxes, rather, the amount of taxes we already pay should be better spent.

Given the choice between having 1500 nukes or manned spacecraft, I vote for the latter. Putting the United States in a position to have to ask Russia for permission to jump on board with them certainly isn't creating a US that is a leader in space and exploration.

Here's what Obama had to say in 2008:

Saturday, August 16, 2008
"When I was growing up, NASA united Americans to a common purpose and inspired the world with accomplishments we are still proud of. Today, NASA is an organization that impacts many facets of American life. I believe NASA needs an inspirational vision for the 21st Century. My vision will build on the great goals set forth in recent years, to maintain a robust program of human space exploration and ensure the fulfillment of NASA's mission. Together, we can ensure that NASA again reflects all that is best about our country and continue our nation's preeminence in space."

-- Barack Obama
Source: www.spaceref.com...

Emphasis and underlining added by me.

Can we file this one under "Promise Broken"?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred
reply to post by Snarf

Did you actually read the article? They're increasing overall funding but shifting funding away from manned flights.

Manned flights = space exploration. Not that sending satellites and probes aren't all well and good, but how are we going to establish a base on the moon to start mining Helium-3 without manned flights?

This is a step in the wrong direction.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred

Even the first and last guys on the moon think Obama is screwing things up.

The Obama administration has decided to get rid of manned space flights, which IMO is a very bad decision. American astronauts now have to hitch a ride with the Russians just to get to the ISS.

We're now going to fall behind in the modern space race and it's looking unlikely that we'll be the first to put a man on Mars.

www.cnn.com

Yes but the banksters in wall street are happy. You realize manned flight was just a money pit. We should be terraforming the moon right now but alas...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Yeah. Probes and satellites just aren't the same.

top topics

join