It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I call this planet Urantia - and not Earth.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I came across this book called The Urantia Book last year. And it's a pretty cool book, massive really, its pretty holistic in its approach. I don't see it as a gospel, I'm not sure as to the validity of its origins, but I am sure that it contains wisdom on a wide range of topics. But it doesn't give a reason as to why they call this planet Urantia - and not Earth.

Let us begin by examining the dictionary definition of Earth

earth:–noun

1. the planet third in order from the sun, having an equatorial diameter of 7926 mi. (12,755 km) and a polar diameter of 7900 mi. (12,714 km), a mean distance from the sun of 92.9 million mi. (149.6 million km), and a period of revolution of 365.26 days, and having one satellite.
  2. this planet as the habitation of humans
  3. the surface of this planet
  4. the solid matter of this planet; dry land; ground.
  5. soil and dirt, as distinguished from rock and sand; the softer part of the land.
  6. Chemistry . any of several metallic oxides that are difficult to reduce, as alumina, zirconia, and yttria. Compare alkaline earth, rare earth.
  7. Also called earth color. Fine Arts . any of various pigments consisting chiefly of iron oxides and tending toward brown in hue.
  8. Archaic . a land or country.

At what point does it mention this planet being different from the other planets in our solar system, other than it has a habitation of humans.

Gaia:-noun
"Earth as a goddess," from Gk. Gaia, personification of gaia "earth," a collateral form of ge (Dorian ga ) "earth," of unknown origin. The Roman equivalent goddess of the earth was Tellus (see tellurian), sometimes used in Eng. poetically or rhetorically for "Earth personified" or "the Earth as a planet."

That's not perfect either.

Earth is a Life-Carrying Sphere - A Life-Sphere. Not something we simply walk on. It's an organism onto itself. So its a Life-Sphere - its not THE Life-Sphere, so it needs its own name. Urantia is an established alternative.

Thus why I call this planet Urantia.

Its trivial, and its not - subliminal content and double-speak in our language is part of our programming, language itself is part of our programming. So I think we should be clear about the contextual-content of certain names and definitions.

*shrugs*

Discussion or debate?

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I bought this book a few years ago, and it is a massive read but very interesting. I admit I have to finish it all as I have a tendency to read a while then have to contemplate what I have just read. It strains my brain! LOL I will do some refresher reading and post again later. Thanks for reminding me that I owned this book!

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I too bought that book a year or so ago , huge book !

One can also find that book in an audio book form by simply doing a google search .

The audio version is a much easier way to get into the book as a posed to try reading it from start to finish .

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Funny you should say that, I have owned the Urantia book for years and pick it up every now and then, don't know if I will ever finish it, hopefully one day.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
interesting, i never heard of Urantia

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Urantia? makes me think of a cross between urine and a tarantula.

Terra is a perfectly fine name, and I'm sure a lot of others could be fashioned.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I've heard the name "Terra". According to some of the aliens races that visit us on a regular basis, we are known as "Terrans"...

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Hmm ... how about we keep that in reserve, and rename it After the parasites at the top are removed!

Earth is not a sphere actually, but an "oblate spheroid", flattened at the poles if I recall my geography lessons :p

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Terra is still just another way of saying ground.

Terra-Cotta
Terra-Australis
Terra-Firma

Terra is latin for earth - earth as in ground.

So I choose not to use it to describe our planet.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I too have never heard of the book, but my interest is peaked now, and I must read it. As one who sees Terra as a living being which creates life in abundance, it is very easy to assign a Feminine name and personality, for She is our Mother, She provides for us everything we need and have. Look around you, from what did all that come from friend? some out there deity didn't cause it, or direct it, it came from Her abundant womb.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldier
Terra is still just another way of saying ground.

Terra-Cotta
Terra-Australis
Terra-Firma

Terra is latin for earth - earth as in ground.

So I choose not to use it to describe our planet.

Correct. I'm from Aruba and my native language of Papiamento uses the word "terra" to describe ground or this planet.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
It is a very interesting book.
I never bought it, but I did download it a couple years back. lol
I also havent gotten through the whole thing,
but every once in awhile i do think of picking it back up. lol

Maybe ill take a stab at that audiobook version,
I just cant sit for long enough at the PC with a PDF. lol

Cool thread,

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
S&F!
Very interesting , thank you very much for the info I'm going to have to go and check out this book for sure.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
have been reading it since ~1992
still not sure what to make of it.
nothing in it can actually be verified
and it does not contradict the bible, as far as I have seen so far

and it has no known verifiable history

dr

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

I have never read the book you mentioned, but I will look for it now. I have always, since early childhood, thought of the planet as "Mother." She gives me everything, food and clothing, materials to build anything at all, water to drink, seasons to plant, everything! That is why I tend to get angry when I hear someone thanking "Jesus" for their meal, or whatever. "Jesus" didn't give them anything, their Great Mother did. Where is Her thanks?

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I was handed a copy of "The Urantia Book". It was an old copy and it was a big book, this one had a publishing date in the early 1950's. There was no Author listed at all.

The part I found most interesting was the Story of Adam and Eve. I also found the "colors" of people very intriguing; personally I would love to be a descendant of the Green People.

Here is an excellent page on the "Time-line" of Urantia and those corresponding events. Amazing really!
Urantia Book-Timeline

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

I have been a reader of the urantia book for many years. My understanding of the name urantia is that it is just that, a name. The beings that adminster the universe give names to planets, solar systems, etc...just like we give names to streets, towns and states. It is said in the book that they also have numbers that are used, but they are big numbers and for us it is easier to use the name.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
is The Urantia Book any good because i might get it

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by paranormal123

Yes, I think it is good. You can check it out online before buying it. www.uranita.org...

top topics

join