It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll Finds Tea Party Backers Wealthier and More Educated

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Like you, I would be interested in a viable third or more choices of party. The Democrats are looking too much like the Republicans for my liking.

I, too, have noticed the signs and slogans at these rallies and they're nothing I can identify with. It's possible, as some have pointed out, that the press may seek out and deliberately emphasize the crazier aspects of these gatherings, but I also worry that they might not. What you see may in fact be what you get.

I would be more than willing to talk to any Tea Party people in my area, though because of my association with the local Democrats they may be hesitant to approach me. I would hear them out, although I am skeptical.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
reply to post by sos37

Is that right? Then why did they choose Sarah Palin as their spokesmodel. You know, fancy pageant walking half-term Governorness. Time to reload? But not retreat, just "advance in another direction" as she so eloquently opined when she bailed on her constituents.

Poll: Tea Party Supporters View Palin, Beck and Bush Favorably

[edit on 15-4-2010 by kinda kurious]

Answer this simple question: Who is "they"? When you say "they" chose Sarah Palin as a spokesmodel, who are you referring to?

The Team Party Movement doesn't have a leader, or a headquarters. There's no official logo. There's no one organization representing it, so I'd be interested to know who you think "they" are.

The TPM is just what it says - it's a MOVEMENT - an ideological movement BY THE PEOPLE toward a common goal.

So when you say THEY chose Sarah Palin as their spokesmodel, you're completely wrong. What you should be saying is "a group in [insert City, State here] that calls themselves 'Tea partiers' or 'TPMers' or whatever chose Sarah Palin to be their spokesmodel". That group chose Sarah, but it's definately not reflective of the will of all of those who sympathize with the TPM, as is that ridiculous poll you just posted.

Maybe this will help: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37

reply to post by sos37

Is that right? Then why did they choose Sarah Palin as their spokesmodel. You know, fancy pageant walking half-term Governorness. Time to reload? But not retreat, just "advance in another direction" as she so eloquently opined when she bailed on her constituents.

Answer this simple question: Who is "they"? When you say "they" chose Sarah Palin as a spokesmodel, who are you referring to?

The Team Party Movement doesn't have a leader, or a headquarters. There's no official logo. There's no one organization representing it, so I'd be interested to know who you think "they" are.

This is who "they" are .....
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 15-4-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Found this YouTube video posted in another thread.

It evidently is NOT a satire by former "Saturday Night Live" comedienne Victoria Jackson. She has apparently converted to a born-again Christian conservative.

The song makes me laugh. I think I will play it for my "commie" friends. It's a hoot.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

reply to post by sos37

This is who "they" are .....
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 15-4-2010 by whaaa]

No, sir. That's YOUR opinion. And again, that video in no way represents the true spirit of the TPM.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
This really adds a side that I had not seen before of the Tea Party. I mean I thought most of these people were like near to being dirt poor and therefore resorting towards a new political movement as such was neccesary, but if they're making quite a good living and are wealthy, it kind of defeats the whole purpose for me.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
This is interesting. I watched about 5 mins of larry king live last night, and their was a woman, trying to defend these tea baggers, mainly, the reps of the media were to black people basically trying to notate that the tea party people consist of mainly angry white men, and were using tact in their vocabulary, to simply make it sound like the tea party is racist, and should be disliked. Thats when I turned it off.

My opinion on this. Primative thinking, and simplistic, instinctive idea's. Liberals fear movement,
I think it is good to excercise your right to assemble.

I think most of these people in the tea party are people WHO PAY taxes, and are a lil fed up with the entitlement programs, and are voicing their opinion on it with assembly's. Of those who are dependant on entitlement programs dislike these type of people. Angry white men.

Sheesh, what a mess.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by Bicent76]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
These threads crack me up!! In this one Republicans are wealthier and more educated than the general public. Then in other threads Liberals have a higher IQ or the poor uneducated over-religious southerners make up the bulk of the Republicans. Which is it? Just keep changing the demographics to suit whatever is being posted, amiright?

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

its a mess..

Thats why I think its just best to stay outta politics..

This crap is getting outta hand.

Not to mention Sarah Palin, is the tea party's hero.

In National politics, this is the best the tea party could come up with. Wealthier and more educated..

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Koolcdj69
This really adds a side that I had not seen before of the Tea Party. I mean I thought most of these people were like near to being dirt poor and therefore resorting towards a new political movement as such was neccesary, but if they're making quite a good living and are wealthy, it kind of defeats the whole purpose for me.

If that's what you believe then you don't understand the middle class. The TPM is comprised of many, from lower-middle class to upper-middle class people. The theme is they're tired of working hard and having the government come in and taking more and more of their hard earned money away from them, especially to redistribute to the lower class. Many people have more money and resources because they work very hard for it, extra hard. Why should someone who doesn't care about elevating themselves from the lower class benefit from the hard work of someone else who is ambitious and responsible?

If this were a country where opportunities were limited it would be one thing. But this is America. Opportunities abound. You are only limited by your own ambition. If you don't care about being rich or poor, then you will be poor or moderately-middle class.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Koolcdj69

If that's what you believe then you don't understand the middle class. The TPM is comprised of many, from lower-middle class to upper-middle class people. The theme is they're tired of working hard and having the government come in and taking more and more of their hard earned money away from them, especially to redistribute to the lower class. Many people have more money and resources because they work very hard for it, extra hard. Why should someone who doesn't care about elevating themselves from the lower class benefit from the hard work of someone else who is ambitious and responsible?

If this were a country where opportunities were limited it would be one thing. But this is America. Opportunities abound. You are only limited by your own ambition. If you don't care about being rich or poor, then you will be poor or moderately-middle class.

Where were these people when the Govt. started taking their tax dollars when dumbass wars were being started during the Bush administration?
Or giving tax dollars to already profitable oil companies in the form of subsidies?

Social programs pale in comparison to the cost of war.

costofwar.com...

If you can't see the hypocrisy here, you have let....

Your ideology get in the way of your common sense!

[edit on 16-4-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

You can argue in semantics if you'd like but the FACTS remain.

It remains unclear whether the Tea Party movement has a leader - or if it wants one, according to a new CBS News/ New York Times poll. But when asked specifically about a few notable figures, Tea Partiers named Fox News personality Glenn Beck and former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as favorites

Source

Loosely aligned or not, they rally behind the likes of Palin and Beck
since their short-sighted views mirror their own. Odd that now you are claiming they are not organized to suit your defense. As if the TPM is just a nomadic bunch of concert goers.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

reply to post by sos37

You can argue in semantics if you'd like but the FACTS remain.

It remains unclear whether the Tea Party movement has a leader - or if it wants one, according to a new CBS News/ New York Times poll. But when asked specifically about a few notable figures, Tea Partiers named Fox News personality Glenn Beck and former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as favorites

Source

Loosely aligned or not, they rally behind the likes of Palin and Beck
since their short-sighted views mirror their own. Odd that now you are claiming they are not organized to suit your defense. As if the TPM is just a nomadic bunch of concert goers.

It's not semantics at all. You are making a statement saying THEY rally behind the likes of Palin and Beck without defining who THEY is. Do you mean people who sympathize with the TPM? People behind the TPM?

And you cite a news cite that I would left leaning as much as you would call Fox News right-leaning as your source.

Show me where a VALID SOURCE where the majority of the people who sympathize with and are behind the TPM follow Palin and Beck. Show me.

You can't because one doesn't exist. To say that all TPM sympathizers and backers follow Beck and Palin is just as STUPID and IGNORANT a statement as saying "Since John Edwards and Elliott Spitzer were adulterers, all Democrats are adulterers". You know what? I might even be ablke to find a CBS poll where they polled Democrats to ask if they've ever had an extra-marital relationship and show you that the majority of those polled said yes. And the results would be JUST AS MEANINGLESS as the poll you keep citing.

Give it up. You're the one grasping at straws on this one.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   

The TPM is comprised of many, from lower-middle class to upper-middle class people. The theme is they're tired of working hard and having the government come in and taking more and more of their hard earned money away from them, especially to redistribute to the lower class.

It doesn't look to me like the government is taking "more and more" of our hard earned money. This year 47% of households paid no income tax at all (not counting their deductions for Social Security and Medicare, which, like the rest of the country, the TPM seems not to object to.) There have been some tax increases on the upper, upper strata of the wealthy, but even these taxes are nowhere near as high as they were under Reagan, that hero of the "lower taxes" faction.

Rachel Maddow Show

Hatch celebrates Tax Day
By The Rachel Maddow Show - Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:50 PM EDT
Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT) tweets our attention to his remarks at the Americans for Tax Reform rally today. Where Hatch said:

"Allowing the American people to keep more of their hard earned money doesn't just make economic sense but is also a question of basic liberty. Basic liberty that our nation was built upon."

We're thinking Hatch ought to be very happy with the Obama administration, seeing as how 47 percent of U.S. households won't have to pay anything in 2009. (OTOH, there's 2010, when that overly simplified picture starts getting a lot more complicated.)

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

BTW: In my state there have been no increases in the amount of funds available for food stamps, housing assistance, Medicaid, etc., not even a cost of living increase this year.

If my tax money is going more and more to the poor (which I wouldn't mind at all) I see no evidence of it.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by Sestias]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Where were these people when the Govt. started taking their tax dollars when dumbass wars were being started during the Bush administration?
Or giving tax dollars to already profitable oil companies in the form of subsidies?

[edit on 16-4-2010 by whaaa]

They were exactly where everyone else was in the aftermath of 9/11. They were pissed and they were ready for a fight, as was the entire nation. You don't remember the number of American flags flying door to door in late 2001 and 2002? I do.

What we were all going on then was that someone had struck a mighty blow to the U.S. on our soil and caused a huge number of casualties with out own planes.

I know very well that the war in Iraq was predicated over finding and eliminating WMDs, but the fact remains that Americans were pissed and demanded retaliation for the attacks. I'm not sure back then that we had any idea we would be STILL be in Iraq and then Afghanistan in 2010.

I'm not arguing the cost of war. It's expensive, both in cost of lives and resources. Most of the time it's a waste unless we're defending ourselves from someone. A lot of TPM sympathizers want the troops home. We want the spending on the wars to stop and we want true economic healing to begin.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
What's interesting is that they left out the fact that the same poll found 30% of people identifying themselves as tea party members also believe Obama wasn't born in America.

Highly educated huh? LOL.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Show me where a VALID SOURCE where the majority of the people who sympathize with and are behind the TPM follow Palin and Beck. Show me.

Okee Dokee:

Tea Party Express: You’re invited to Join Sarah Palin

Source: CONSERVATIVE AMERICAN NEWS

To imply that the TPM doesn't back Sarah Palin is like saying Colonel Sanders doesn't kill chickens.

They go hand in hand, like Beavis and.........

[edit on 16-4-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   

The Tea Party Express IS the GOP. Of course they love Palin, Beck and Bush.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I am surprised to see that they are more educated, though... That's a puzzler.

[edit on 4/16/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias

It doesn't look to me like the government is taking "more and more" of our hard earned money. This year 47% of households paid no income tax at all (not counting their deductions for Social Security and Medicare, which, like the rest of the country, the TPM seems not to object to.) There have been some tax increases on the upper, upper strata of the wealthy, but even these taxes are nowhere near as high as they were under Reagan, that hero of the "lower taxes" faction.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by Sestias]

I question the 47% number, as that seems AWFULLY high. 47% of Americans households paid no federal income tax?

Let's assume that number is true. Don't you think the unusually, steady, high unemployment rate has SOMETHING to do with that?

Take a look at Table B:"Table B. States with statistically significant unemployment rate changes from March 2009 to March 2010, seasonally adjusted"

www.bls.gov...

There are 31 states in the table all showing significant unemployment increases from March 2009 to March 2010. The only state on the list showing an unemployment decrease was Minnesota at -.7%

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

I am surprised to see that they are more educated, though... That's a puzzler.

[edit on 4/16/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

Lol, that's not a puzzler at all........anybody responding to the survey can respond anyway they want to. They could tell them they have an 8th grade education and make 15k a year, or have a PhD and make 300k a year. Pretty simple, actually.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join