It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Odd freezing in Lipton Green Tea with Citrus.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I would like to start this out by saying I drink mainly water or tea with maybe a soda drink every now and then. And I usually drink them either room temperature or warm or hot, as I do am an avid hater of just about anything cold.

Well, the other day I after coming home from a particularly long walk in the sun, I decided to stick a few bottles of lipton green tea with citrus in the freezer to get them cold faster. Now keep in mind that I rarely do this. I waited for about 30 to 45 minutes, because I just wanted them cold, not slushy or frozen.

I checked and there was no ice in them, so I took one out and put the others in the fridge. So, as I opened the bottle, imagine my surprise when after the air hit the tea, it started from the top to form very cloud looking slush. And from there the entire tea became a slush in about a minute in a half while I was holding it in my hand.

I then checked the other bottles to see if they did it too. They did. This really made me intrigued and a little worried about what they were maybe putting in my favorite drinks, so I tried this with other drinks as well. None of the others did this. I even recreated it to show to some of my friends, they were equally freaked out.

So can anyone tell me if they have ever seen this, and if so what would cause it, or if it is just a natural thing for green tea to do.

Just in case you want to try this yourself, the size of bottle for the green tea I used is 500 ml.

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I've seen that happen with apple juice, although much faster than a minute and a half. Happened in perhaps 5 seconds. In all I'd say I've seen it happen about half a dozen times with various beverages.

link   
um you got into the wrong thread. this thread is about introductions

link   
Hi Vindaru,

What a coincidence, I'm drinking some green tea right now.

I've actually experienced this before but I think in my case it was with bottled water. I had came to the conclusion that the bottle was partially frozen but just looked like it wasn't. When opened the ice became more visible, or less translucent. Perhaps there's another explanation out there.

Incog

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
when a liquid is under pressure..It's freezing point will be changed. That liquid may be well under the freezing point, but stay liquid..until you let the pressure out and bring the pressure to atmospheric level.

It happens all the time with beer.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Hi, I've had that happen to me. It's kind of neat, unless like in my case, the beverage of choice was beer. Try drinking a beer after that happens. not so easy.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by wrathchild

Thank you for the info. That is bit relieving. So I don't have to worry too much about it.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
no problem...

being a drunkard and a well educated plumber made me an expert.

look up "latent heat of solidification"

[edit on 14-4-2010 by wrathchild]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
here is a example of how drinks under pressure will react if there cold enough.

I've notice when i open the Lipton green tea is makes a sssssssssssssssissss noise, so its safe to say its under some pressure.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Source

One cup of green tea contains 200 milligrams of catechins, which equals 8 apples

Maybe this is why it happens?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   
i have had this happened just tried and its becuase the freezing point of the liquid under pressure changes and it happens with many diffrent beverages it is safe to drink the tea and it is good for so keep on keepin on

new topics

top topics

join