It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. willing to consider weaker Iran sanctions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   

U.S. willing to consider weaker Iran sanctions

www.latimes.com

The Obama administration signaled Wednesday that the United States would accept weakened United Nations sanctions against Iran as a way to quickly assemble a broad international coalition against Tehran's nuclear program.

Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates said adoption of a new sanctions resolution by the U.N. Security Council is more vital than the actual measures taken.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-4-2010 by JanusFIN]

[edit on 14-4-2010 by JanusFIN]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Washinton Summit ends up with nothing, like also I saw it will happen. It just leave a very bad taste because obvious lies what White House officials told from Chinas and SCOs stand in issue.

China is not willing to loose its oil, and Russia will keep their nuclear cooperation with Iran. Interesting partner for Iran is Turkey, witch officially announced that they wont back sanctions - Israeli driven Middle East policies.

Just before the Summit we heard news from new air defences coming to use of Iran, and also Russian military gave official "unacceptable" stance towards any attacks.

USA has no other choice than pull out at this moment. Now its world to see, what is the answer from Israel - will they live with this, or will they start run fast escalation of violence in ME?

www.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
interesting OP...looks like Gates says what he means...the EU will end up taking action. That would be my prediction. And, we'll be happy to join in.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
everything is set, all the leaders talked, now they all know where each of them stand. everyone will just go back to their country and prepare for battle. the war has been set for the summer of 2010.

this is a noble war that will end in disaster...

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
this is just dangerous

I distinctly remember
Sec of Def Colin Powell sitting
at that table in the UN plastering
all those lies about Iraq

and here we go again !!!!

as Dubya said

A coalition of the willing

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
They might as well let Iran have nukes, who cares, if they launch one in an offensive move there would be more nukes coming down on that country before theirs even detonated.

Oh well, America looses on foreign policy again. Joy...

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
The US knows China was never going to agree to tough sanctions and that Israel wouldn't be pacified. This is now about trying to look like the diplomatic effort was made by the US - "hey, we tried - not our fault Israel attacked and we got dragged into a war.....we got a resolution passed and everything!"

Israel strikes Iran

The US condemns Israel, tries to get the UN to stop the madness (looking like the good guy again)

Iran hits the US fleet or forces in Iraq (poor US!)

The US joins the attack in self-defense ("we didn't ask for this - we tried to stop it!")

One big mess - and the brainless masses will buy it all, of course.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Curio

Israel simply cannot attack Iran itself without resorting to nukes, everyone brings up syria or Iraq in regards to Israel...im sorry but Israel will not be allowed to waltz in, strike nuclear facilities and waltz back out again practically unchallenged. Neither does bringing up the Iran/Iraq war bring any credence to the theory that Israel has nothing to fear. Any attack against nuclear facilities in Iran will result in a full scale war backed fully by the Iranian people. It will be a blood bath and without American support or the use of nuclear weapons Israel has a very high chance of becoming a smoldering pile of debris. As for China, i agree with you if we look at the surface, but we don't know what sort of backdoor dealings are going on. If America and Israel could convince China that a war against Iran would be quick and a new government implemented just after that, along with a nice big share of the resource pie of course...China would be very tempted. Of course no one could make such a claim with a straight face, so China would most definitely be against any actions taken towards Iran.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Meanwhile, business as usual in Iran.

They laugh at sanctions, and sign multi billion dollar deals with the Russians for weapons and defense systems.

Further isolating Iran with international sanctions is only going to strengthen their resolve.

The international community should seek to apply the same international pressure on Israel over their nuclear weapons and programs.

It is the only chance they have to have a nuclear free Middle East.

You can't keep pushing this as a one sided issue.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
Israel simply cannot attack Iran itself without resorting to nukes, everyone brings up syria or Iraq in regards to Israel...im sorry but Israel will not be allowed to waltz in, strike nuclear facilities and waltz back out again practically unchallenged.
[edit on 14-4-2010 by Solomons]

Of course. That's why the US will be dragged into it. Israel will just start the ball rolling. Once Iran sinks a US ship you better believe the US Airforce and Navy will flatten the place without the need for nukes.

Israel will not let Iran get much further with its nuclear work: Fact. Israel cannot defeat Iran without nukes: Fact. I think we can see where this is going.

The US has most certainly made assurances to the Chinese already. Whether the Chinese will be pacified is another matter.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Well gee, ain't that something, instead of actually punishing the Iranians for trying to develop nuclear weapons all we are going to do is give them a tap on the wrist and shake our finger at them, saying no, no, no. I guess it is all talk in DC and no muscle behind the talk. Also guess that the country can no longer walk the walk, but rather just give lip service. Any credibility that we have as far as trying to make the world a safer place just walked out the front door. The damage can be repaired, just that it is going to require negotiations and diplomacy and working on one problem at a time. It also means that the country needs to go back to the concept of MAD, but expand it stating, any country that uses such in agression will be nuked till it glows at night, we did it once and we will do it again.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
More news connected to this..

20:55 Lieberman: These are the final days for effective Iran sanctions (Israel Radio)

Israeli Official: West Has 4-8 Weeks Left for Iran Diplomacy

That was 5 weeks ago...

Also, on April 19 it's Israel independence anniversary and the satanic day of blood sacrifice...

Also Iran saying they will enter the nuclear club within a month... And Russia just announced they will finish the iranian nuclear plant in August...

Something will go down real soon... I'm pretty sure. Minimum...sanctions, medium, full conventional war, maximum, Israel nuking it's neighbours.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

You know what?

You're right. I couldn't of typed it out any better. People are still wondering about missile shields? Well if they are not going to remove the threat then they need a valid defensive system I can't wait for President Kowtow to bow out of those deals simply becuase Russia and or China poopoo the idea.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
The historical precedent is clear - we will not act with sufficient force until we have weaited too long to prevent an attack upon us. We will sit around and wait until a huge problem occurs.

Unlike Iraq in 1981, Israel is too far away, with too many advanced U.S. and coalition weapons systems between them and their potential target. However, with all of the cooperative research Israel and the U.S. military forces have peformed, the air defense systems of Israel are completely capable of defeating a small volley of nuclear-tipped missiles. Once such an attack would occur, the Iranians would clearly invite a retaliatory strike of massive proportions from the U.S., since we could not allow an Israeli counter-attack to disrupt our entire Middle Eastern policy program.

This said, the only possible means of attack would be for Iran to create the nuclear weapons, then allow "terrorists" to carry out the attack.

As for any nuclear exchanges, my money still rests on India and Pakistan as the most likely source of the first use of nuclear strikes and counter-strikes.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Truth1000

Nah, see that's where I call BS. Iran has spent a lot of money time and stress dealing with the US/ West and Israel. They wouldn't just hand their extremely valuable tiny small possession over to a Jihadists. They'll secretly build a bomb and a delivery system good enough to reach Israel. Then Brag about it. I mean think about the Iranian leaders EGO. Come on. they know that if a REAL bomb goes off in the west Iran is a glass parking lot. Even President Kowtow wouldn't have any other choice.

For their legions of potential Jihadists.
I'm thinking Dirty bombs. They have that potential now.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Or they could build a doomsday machine!

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
In today's day and age, with all that's going on, all it would take to set thing's in motion would be a few determined hacker's convincing somebody that somebody else had done something.... In this crazy world, information, albiet erroneous information even, is the new bomb, no other weapon seem's to compare, for if armed with the wrong information Nation could easily rise against Nation....

We have seen this before....

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

Of COURSE the current U.S. administration is willing to consider weaker sanctions. They have no teeth; that dog don't hunt no' more. It's too LATE.

I'm sure I could whip up a dandy sports analogy, but what's the point?

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Never forget that the Iranian mindset is not based on the "cause and effect" basis that we in the West tend to promote. The differences in our mindsets can be demonstrated in that Saddam actually fought a second war against us after we had demonstrated such superior military planning and technology in the first Gulf War. Nearly any Western leader would have found a reason to back down, in order to preserve his administration from an attack by a force like the U.S. military. Only in understanding this mindset allows you to comprehend their differences in their basic mental apporach to such a problem.

Put NOTHING beyond the logic of the Iranian leaders.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I'm kinda holding my breath here for a variety of reasons...

First, though some will say Obama's bark is worse than his santion-imposing bite, I think he's trying to walk a very thin line - repair the reputational damage that his predecessor inflicted on us through unilateral action while at the same time bolstering support for international sanctions against what many consider to be a rogue state trying to arm itself with nuclear weapons. Whether they are or aren't, I think he's trying to please too many people. I just hope at the end of the day he realizes that he runs the risk of making our government come off like a toothless tiger.... which leads me to the most concerning issue...

If sanctions aren't passed, if they're rendered impotent because of the U.N.'s long history of trying to placate even the most ridiculous demands of hard line states that have economic ties to these people, Israel's going to be painted into a corner... and no offense, but whether you like them or not, an Israel that feels abandoned is a dangerous Israel - they might indeed feel as though massive, overwhelming unilateral action is their best course. That above all scares the living bejesus out of me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join