It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrat Wins Florida Special House Election

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Democrat Deutch Wins Florida Special House Election

“We’ve heard for months that tonight … is a referendum on health care, it’s a referendum on the (Obama) administration, it’s a referendum on what direction this country is going,” Deutch told supporters, according to the Associated Press. “Let me tell you something, what we learned today is that in Broward County and Palm Beach County, Florida, the Democratic Party is alive and well.”

blogs.wsj.com...

If this race is any indication of things to come, the rumors of the demise of Democratic dominance in the upcoming election are greatly overstated.

The demographic constituency of these counties are HIGHLY affluent so you might think they'd lean right. (also 40% senior citizens.) I see this as a the shape of things to come. So where are all the disgruntled masses upset about Health Care Reform. No referendum, just more saber rattling.

I am pleased of this recent development in my home state.

Have at it.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Exactly as I thought, Democrats will not take that bad of a beating. But what makes this election more important is the demographics of the area its mostly suburban middle class and white, not exactly the democratic stronghold. But the dems won so lets go november!

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I see you forgot to add some key information from the article to try to spin it to look like the Dem's are in good health and aren't hurting in the polls those being:

The Republican candidate, businessman Ed Lynch, tried to make the election a referendum on the Democrats’ health-care overhaul, but the district’s strong Democratic tilt meant the race was never really competitive.

And for the real kicker at the end of the article:

Deutch, a state senator, defeated Lynch handily, 62%-35%, in a district that elected President Barack Obama with 66% of the vote in 2008.

So this really doesn't say anything other than a Democrat got elected in a district that is heavily Democrat.

Nice try at trying to spread the propaganda.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Light of Night

I posted Headline, story excerpt and link.

REGARDLESS despite prior voting history a Democrat won. Case in point, look at the recent election of Scott Brown PRIOR to HCR vote. He was elected in a previously left-leaning district. Many thought that would be beginning of a sea change. WRONG

You'd think with all the Republican chest pounding hyperbole about post healthcare mandate, a Dem wouldn't have a chance. This story and outcome is relevant despite your displeasure.

Nice try yourself.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

No they have compared it to the Republican Revolution in 1994, I don't think anybody has said that not a single democrat will get elected, because that isn't the case what is being speculated is that the Dem's are going to take extremely heavy losses come November. I'm sure a few will get reelected and possibly even elected for the first time, just like this election in Florida. There are some districts that will vote Democrat no matter what happens. All national polls point to the Dems taking heavy losses though(edit to add this word).

Also I believe the Brown election in Mass. was as much a referendum on single party rule(More like one head of the two headed snake, IMO) as well as Health Care. My case and point is that there will always be a certain percentage of people that will toe the party line no matter what happens.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by Light of Night]

top topics

join