It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mummy of a 'tiny, wide-eyed woman' discovered in Egyptian oasis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Egyptian archaeologists discovered an intricately carved plaster sarcophagus portraying a tiny, wide-eyed woman dressed in a tunic in a newly uncovered complex of tombs at a remote desert oasis.
It is the first Roman-style mummy found in Bahariya Oasis some 186 miles southwest of Cairo, said archaeologist Mahmoud Afifi, who led the dig.
The find was part of a cemetery dating back to the Greco-Roman period containing 14 tombs.
'It is a unique find,' he said, confirming that initial examinations indicate a mummy is inside the coffin.

Link

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/47b783a38333.jpg[/atsimg]

Nice find ! I am interested to see just what they find / who they find , once they open the casing .

[edit on 14-4-2010 by Max_TO]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I'm sorry that thing looks like it's holding a Hobbit.

All joking aside.

S & F

Great find. I hope they'll be able to recover DNA and possibly find their current living relatives.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

S&F Keep an eye on this for me.
But the funny thing is it don't look Egyptian in style.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by GunzCoty

You are correct it's a Roman-style mummy .

The archaeologists also found a gold relief showing the four sons of the Egyptian god Horus, other plaster masks of women's faces, several glass and clay utensils and some metal coins. They are currently trying to date the coins . The provided link has some more pictures of the various items found in and near this grave .

As for it looking like a Hobbit I would have to agree

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Nice find.
Thanks for posting.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
This thread discusses the same finding. Maybe a merge of the two threads is necessary here?

top topics

join