It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

parents are being overprotective mentally challenged individuals yet again

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ashanu90

i can agree with that. the day i am banned from blowing people up in Call of Duty is the day that i snap.

it is my walter mitty complex.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

well i must say thats quite a different viewpoint however if you shelter your kids from this sort of thing for most of their life when they come to the real world they just might breakdown and you dont want that on your heart either do you? some parents choose not to shelter their children like in your scenario and good parenting is a mix of open mindedness and a little bit of sheltering, have any of these children gone nuts? i dont think so but i dont know i wasnt there. however your daughter is fine just fine nowadays isnt she? the damage has been done but was the damage that awful at least the gir;s didnt get on the internet and go on documenting reality. mistakes happen that was a mistake as for the sleepover movie deal, you cannot condemn the rest of us and take away our violent movies because you fear for your sheltered children's fragile minds.

the damage has been done but shes stronger now isnt she?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Normally I don't agree with any for of content banning. I think it's stupid and frankly any parent that can't control what their kids do to an extent are bad parents. Don't make excuses, don't blame other peoples parents or kids or some company, it is your fault; accept your responsibility or give up your kids as you're likely to do more damage.

But in the case of Twilight, I completely support any form of destroying this form of crap. It's beyond a trash novel. It's just straight up bad. It's poorly written and may very well have been taken right off some fan fiction website. It makes kids think this is what a good book is, when it reality it isn't worth the paper it's printed on and the cover it's bound to.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpectreDC
Normally I don't agree with any for of content banning. I think it's stupid and frankly any parent that can't control what their kids do to an extent are bad parents. Don't make excuses, don't blame other peoples parents or kids or some company, it is your fault; accept your responsibility or give up your kids as you're likely to do more damage.

But in the case of Twilight, I completely support any form of destroying this form of crap. It's beyond a trash novel. It's just straight up bad. It's poorly written and may very well have been taken right off some fan fiction website. It makes kids think this is what a good book is, when it reality it isn't worth the paper it's printed on and the cover it's bound to.

great post agreed
there should be a law where parents who aer to lazy to tell there kids no will have them taken away

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ashanu90
great post agreed
there should be a law where parents who aer to lazy to tell there kids no will have them taken away

In the United States, people still have the right to be stupid. We can't take their kids away for stupidity. If we could, my nephews would have ended up as wards of the state.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

great post agreed

In the United States, people still have the right to be stupid. We can't take their kids away for stupidity. If we could, my nephews would have ended up as wards of the state.

well i guess the next generation is doomed, and people think kesha and twilight are bad? whats next? a new emo glam metal hybridization? ugh!!!1 i like emo music and i like glam rock but together that is one ugly babay

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

I share more or less the sentiments of most of the posters so far..in that, i don't agree with banning pretty much anything.

If something is crap, people probably won't buy or rent it, so it'll invariably go away on it's own, together with whoever created it.

I am a parent, and i constantly make concious decisions regarding what is appropriate for my kids, and what isn't, and choose their media accordingly.

As has been said, if a parent doesn't feel something is appropriate for their kids, don't let them have it...simple.

I recognise there are things in this world that i wouldn't allow my kids to view or read, if they were twice their age, while other parents may feel the material is appropriate and allow them access..different strokes for different folks.

All banning anything does, is add mystique and intrigue, and cause more people to want access or usage out of curiosity.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

thank you great post

you sound like an excellent and understanding parent

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
It is not the job of parents to ban things. It is their job to regulate what THEIR kids watch and see and read etc.

That being said, how anyone can let their kids follow a story that ultimately takes the stance that a young girl should be willing to die to have her man's baby.

But I do agree that banning any art, in any form, is evil.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

great post agreed

well i guess the next generation is doomed, and people think kesha and twilight are bad? whats next? a new emo glam metal hybridization? ugh!!!1 i like emo music and i like glam rock but together that is one ugly babay

To be honest, i don't care about what the next pop culture meme is. Kesha sucks, for sure. Lady Gaga? Not so much. She is wierd, but there is talent lurking in there.

But none of it matters. The idiots that you share a classroom with today will mature and possibly develop into decent human beings. You cannot spend your time lamenting what is going to happen when those shiftless teenagers take over. That is going to drive you mad, and will only mimic the feelings of every other human to have ever lived.

Its always those damned kids needing to get off the grass.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Hell yeah. What ever happened to disciplining your children with a hit across the head?

There's nothing! All parents do today is complain about the multimedia that surrounds their kids. The same multimedia that these lazy parents use to babysit their kids.

Lazy Generation X-ers.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I don't think you are a sucky parent, some kids are able to handle things more than others, my parents knew what was appropriate for me and what wasn't and held back what was until I was ready, and since rarely was anything off limits to me ( within reason ) I knew it was serious if they said no to something. If parents took a bit more of a proactive stance, there would be less of this problem. I understand the world is a crazy fast paced place, and that there is little time in the day for this, but it doesn't require hours to find out what your kids are doing and be involved, although I think you need to start being involved at a younger age vs trying to get involved with a teenager as you may encounter teen angst syndrome

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by BoSock

LOL My father was also one of my kenjutsu teachers, so if I pissed him off, I knew I was going to get an extra special lesson later on that day in the form of a bokken across the head.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Its always those damned kids needing to get off the grass.

lol my friend used to say that all the time, but yeah i understand where your coming from, i guess that its the same reason many other adults lost their minds lol

you seem like a sensible openminded and over all pleasant person
congrats heres a dancing bannana

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
another thing before twilight was the subject of controversy it was harry potter because harry potter taught children to "question authority", so if your a parent and you dont want your kieds to question authority then your a loyalist cur
our country was founded on questioning authority
go back to england you lobster backs!

but really thats not right to keep your kids from questioning authority, and to force them to believe what you believ which is a form of child abuse,

before harry potter it was southpark because of all the cussing, but southpark isnt all about cussing its all about pointing out flaws in society if you ask me, dont you want your children to separate the propoganda bull# from the truth?

before southpark i dont know what was contoversial, because i was probably to young to remember, but it was probably something stupid

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Before or just around that time there was also Pokemon. My dad had a fit over them because some guy told him that they were used to convert children to Satansim. Once I showed them to him and he saw what they were, he laughed it off and went on about his day.

The point is, there is always going to be something that someone, somewhere is going to find offensive or what have you, or they are just too bored and so they will have to launch an initiative to have it banned. Some people just need something to fill in their day, and so these things happen, but like Freud said " sometimes a cigar...is just a cigar"

Itachi-

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itachimaru

Before or just around that time there was also Pokemon. My dad had a fit over them because some guy told him that they were used to convert children to Satansim. Once I showed them to him and he saw what they were, he laughed it off and went on about his day.

The point is, there is always going to be something that someone, somewhere is going to find offensive or what have you, or they are just too bored and so they will have to launch an initiative to have it banned. Some people just need something to fill in their day, and so these things happen, but like Freud said " sometimes a cigar...is just a cigar"

Itachi-

someone said pokemon converts children to satanism?????? lol on the epic scale

i used to watch pokemon and you would have to be on crack to actually believe that it converts people to satanism if you actually watched it, if anything pokemon teaches children to do the right thing.

also you have a good point about how bored people get

satanic pokemon lol!!!!!!
whats next? bakugon turns children into nazis? lol!
or better yet naruto will convert small children into communists!lol

i havent watched any of these shows for a long long time(except for bakugon i saw like five minutes and was like screw this!) but im pretty sure these shows dont suggest anything to children that they shouldnt(except maybe some mild sexual content, like in the first season of naruto)[edit on 20-4-2010 by ashanu90]

[edit on 20-4-2010 by ashanu90]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join