It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GPS Tracking for students who miss too much school

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
A program has been in Dallas, TX since 2005 that helps keep track of kids who miss too much school. Now more students in other parts of Texas as well as Kentucky and Philadelphia are enrolled in the program too.

abcnews.go.com...

The article says that the device is not an ankle bracelet, as that would make the students feel like criminals. Instead, they carry the device around.

You might think the students would be complaining over invasion of privacy or other reasons, but they're not. Why? The alternative for them would have been juvenile detention. The ACLU has responded to the concern for privacy anyway.

Of course these things start out innocently enough, but what happens if a crime is committed by one of these kids? Could a court use "evidence of the child's location" in a court case?

They also say that 80 percent of the program is counseling, and not tracking. I highly doubt that, though, because I'm sure they would have tried counseling (talking) before they followed through with a method that was only 20% more effective (and I'm sure not cheap) with the use of these devices.

I won't object to it, but like some others have already said in comments, it could be a small stepping stone toward more invasive programs.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I'm sorry but this is WRONG. The state has no respect AT ALL for a parents rights anymore. Is this the way it is now? My child isn't even legally mine?

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
This is absurd, what ever happened to parenting?

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Albert Einstine never attended school and look how far it got him? He created the A-bomb that we now use to create global peace. Hmmm perhaps children belong in school learning absolutely nothing making it so no more a-bombs are ever made lol

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
And this is happening in the land of free??!

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by againstNWO_acts
Albert Einstine never attended school and look how far it got him? He created the A-bomb that we now use to create global peace. Hmmm perhaps children belong in school learning absolutely nothing making it so no more a-bombs are ever made lol

Wrong, and wrong. Albert Einstein most certainly attended, and finished both secondary school and university. As for the atom bomb, his equations allowed for the creation of it, but he had absolutely no hand in the actual creation.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Here is the problem as I see it. Most families to get ahead, the parents have to work, and expect the child to go to school or drop the child there. Then the child either skips class or chooses not to go to school. The parents are called, they have a discussion, and nothing gets resolved. Parents not allowed to be parents, because if they try to discipline their children, then they have to deal with the department of social Services and have to go to court. So their are 2 solutions: 1) If you do not want to put your child on the GPS system, give the parents greater freedom, including the ability to spank and discipline their child as they see fit, and keep DSS out of the loop. Not every case of a child who is spanked or punished is child abuse. But at the same time, parents need to realise that they have to cut out things from computers, to cell phones, and techinal stuff. That way the learn that there are consequences for bad behaviors.
Or 2) If not, then yes children need to learn that if they do not go to school then I agree, treat them like a criminal, embarass them, with the understanding that they break the law, and going to school is the law, then they will be treated like a law breaker.
In either case, we can not continue to coddle and spoil the children, or we will end up with a bigger problem.

new topics

top topics

join