It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Wants To Know What 21st Century Technological Challenges You'd Like Tackled First

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Obama Wants To Know What 21st Century Technological Challenges You'd Like Tackled First

www.popsci.com

This year, the White House is asking you to send more than just your taxes to the government on April 15th. They also want you to send your ideas on which grand, unsolved scientific challenge of the 21st century you think the US should tackle first. They're thinking big here. Landing-on-Mars, cure-for-HIV, cold-fusion big. And Uncle Sam wants you to help them direct the research.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.whitehouse.gov
www.whitehouse.gov

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
The White House wants to hear from you

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I don't want to delve into the conspiracy aspect of it, this is important and urgent, let's get very serious about it.

I look at the grand challenges and I have to say it's pretty ambitious, the detail is in the second additional link.

For submitting ideas the detail is in the first additional link.

For example, you can send your idea via twitter by replying to @whitehouse and including the #whgc hashtag (a tip: check out other ideas with this search).

You can also email your ideas to challenge@ostp.gov.

Check related thread if you want additional info and facebook link.

The deadline is tomorrow! Get crackin'.

www.popsci.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Well I think it might be time to send men to mars.

Obama should just fund NASA again.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Mankind could all do a reverse and use mind control to make the masses of all the world ignore greed.

I think electronic mind control could do this, if the corporations wanted it.

I think getting rid of greed is the no1 priority this century, and with the mind control techs that are here, man has a chance to make humans lose that desire.

I think one day mankind will just be one gender, but i think it may take a few centuries for that.

Its all an evolution.

[edit on 4/14/2010 by andy1033]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
election machines taht dont allow politicians to cheat when voting time comes around

how about a money machine at the FED, newly installed, that knows the difference between bull and reality, and when bailout for the bankers time comes again, behind our backs no less, the machine will unpurposly 'stimulate' each and every american citizen instead

wishful dreaming, but hey if its idea that are allowed to go, why not!

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Preventing computers from sending jobs overseas

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
We need to look at the ideas and issues not the men and this is a good one and I like it alot. We get so lost in the right vs left crap that some good ideas get bad feedback for no reason.

Whoever thought this one up

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Here's an original one to tackle:

FIX THE DAMN ECONOMY AND CREATE JOBS LIKE YOU SAID YOU WOULD!

At least that one is timeless. Without those, everything else is moot. Once that has been tackled and our economy restored at least to moderately sustainable levels how about tackling the following:

1. Creating organizations or groups that create an image of "cool" for learning science and taking jobs in the fields of science; emphasizing the rewards of scientific and mathematical achievement and making it "uncool" for social classes among the youth to exist that would label those interested in science as social outcasts or the 'unwanted'

2. More grants and loans for achievements in sciences and math related industries and scholarships; right now we have enough kids who want to grow up to be rock stars and the next "American Idol". And that's not going to do squat for our economy or how much we research

3. Instead of cutting NASA programs, redirect funds into them and create new programs that directly involve high school and junior high kids into NASA programs to get them a jump start on interests in space exploration. Space is the next frontier - if we could get our heads out of the political butthole that we're stuck in now

4. Properly fund and reward teachers and social workers! How's that for a start!? The work they do is a million times more important than a sports celebrity and yet they make a fraction of the amount and go through hell doing it. Where's the logic???

I'll come up with more soon...

[edit on 14-4-2010 by sos37]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
here is a good one Mr. "President"...

JOBS!!!!

what an a-hole you are!!!!!

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Personally, I want the flying car I should have had ten years ago.
Realistically, I want the energy crisis ended. I want to be able to have free endless energy, and the how is for the scientists to figure out.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I want stem cell research and the results from it to actually be implemented in day to day medical practice instead of a news story here and there. Guy walks in to doctors, finds out he has heart disease..doctors take stem cells, grow a new heart for him or repair old one. Easy

[edit on 14-4-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Put all of Hawaii's Office of Vital Statistics records online.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I feel like this is a major distraction to the american public. something more urgent must be going down in the world. perhaps internal terrorist.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Mass-produced true anti-gravity technology.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
This is a simple question and deserves a simple answer.

There are two technologies that, with implementation, create vast amounts of jobs, massive endless expansion of economic bubbles, and would reinvent how the world interacts and does business

the first is of course power...free and clean power...if Solar is the way to go, then undertake a massive effort to solar power America...set panels on every rooftop, on every sidewalk, along the highways, etc...spend a trillion bucks to make us a energy free country

Second
Virtual reality (Caprica style)...a fully immersive virtual reality experience online that allows for new forms of entertainment, business, schooling, etc..the technology is currently crawling at the expense of small business...imagine what a few hundred billion in development would accomplish in short time.

So, thats it...open up a new dimension (VR), and get our energy needs completely met while we stop being slaves to the death oil economy.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Extreme corruption spread throughout our entire federal government, mega-corporations like military contractors and media, and banks.

The mess created by these things being totally screwed up is the single biggest hindrance on all of our technological advances, with the lone exception of military technology to spend more money killing people better (which isn't shared with the public most of the time anyway).

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
Put all of Hawaii's Office of Vital Statistics records online.

lol

I think even obama would laugh at that, if he ever gets to read such a thread as this.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by joey_hv
here is a good one Mr. "President"...

JOBS!!!!

what an a-hole you are!!!!!

Making new discoveries can make the possibility of new jobs.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
ok, followed the links within links and sent the mail to the whitehouse.

Expect a energy free America and fully functional VR network by years end...whoot.

-holds breath-

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Invention and discovery often can't be forced. If it was as easy as throwing money at a problem and solving it China would not be buying US debt with their spare cash. Ok maybe the moon landing could be done since the tech is already there but something like the cure for AIDS or cold-fusion is not so easy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join