It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mental Disorder?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I have received much good insight into the realm of psychology in this thread. I am very appreciative of the level of involvement in these matters. I would ask those involved in the discussion of mental disorders and their treatments and subsequent side-effects to please avoid any further discussion here.

Also to clear up some misunderstandings: I am not currently being treated for Dysthymia. I am not on medication, nor am I attending therapy. I have never received medication, because my health insurance that used to pay for my therapy sessions years ago was terminated. I never did pursue treatment after that. So, no, I am not on medication. My "condition" has been untreated for many years.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Sounds like exposure to heavy metals. Do you eat a lot of seafood ?

You may want to find a decent alternative practitioner, and ask them to perform a "challenge chelation test" for heavy metals.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by zzombie
Sounds like exposure to heavy metals. Do you eat a lot of seafood ?

You may want to find a decent alternative practitioner, and ask them to perform a "challenge chelation test" for heavy metals.

My favorite music is "Heavy Metal". Does that count?

Just kidding

No I don't eat a lot of seafood. I don't eat any as a matter of fact. I live in Texas. I enjoy Mexican food and Mama's good ole Southern cookin' from Mississippi.

I highly doubt I have exposure to "heavy metals" as you call it. I have come to the conclusion that it's harmless.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
i dunno. when i read it, first impulse is to suggest something has caused your thought processes to disassociate from one another, particularly in the area of analytical thinking. your ego self or whatever it's called (id?), is functioning in something like a third person view, watching the conversation, which means there's like 3 of you at the moment. and they all three need to be melded back into 1.

it reminds me somewhat of a theory i've been developing regarding savants. in some savants, trauma or genetic abnormailty, has caused their brains to develop into specialized areas of expertise. all their waking moments go into that area, almost exclusively, and they become almost like walking akashic libraries in that particular skill (see the rainman

the theory i've been working on is, that they've somehow accessed the "junk dna" portion of their brains (which is in the greatest abundance), in an attempt to bypass the messed up parts of what would normally consist of a brain usage in a "typical" human brain. and in so doing, they've begun using the long strands of memory storage in their junk dna, which may itself be a huge memory storage system that records the events of our lives, from every thought, to every heartbeat, to every action. this would explain how rainman could do what he does, or how this savant:

www.youtube.com...

can remember every song he's ever heard and translate them into even more amazing combinations.

or this fellow who sees numbers as landscapes

as if he's able to see these things holographically, which points to the idea that your DNA is a holographic device, repeated throughout your body.

hopefully this doesn't seem to far off your topic.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I once worked with a guy that would talk and argue with himself in two different voices it was creepy...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
i dunno. when i read it, first impulse is to suggest something has caused your thought processes to disassociate from one another, particularly in the area of analytical thinking. your ego self or whatever it's called (id?), is functioning in something like a third person view, watching the conversation, which means there's like 3 of you at the moment. and they all three need to be melded back into 1.

it reminds me somewhat of a theory i've been developing regarding savants. in some savants, trauma or genetic abnormailty, has caused their brains to develop into specialized areas of expertise. all their waking moments go into that area, almost exclusively, and they become almost like walking akashic libraries in that particular skill (see the rainman

the theory i've been working on is, that they've somehow accessed the "junk dna" portion of their brains (which is in the greatest abundance), in an attempt to bypass the messed up parts of what would normally consist of a brain usage in a "typical" human brain. and in so doing, they've begun using the long strands of memory storage in their junk dna, which may itself be a huge memory storage system that records the events of our lives, from every thought, to every heartbeat, to every action. this would explain how rainman could do what he does, or how this savant:

www.youtube.com...

can remember every song he's ever heard and translate them into even more amazing combinations.

or this fellow who sees numbers as landscapes

as if he's able to see these things holographically, which points to the idea that your DNA is a holographic device, repeated throughout your body.

hopefully this doesn't seem to far off your topic.

Don't think I'm a savant. I function somewhat normally in social situations (because I know how). Besides, I think savants are born the way they are. Sometimes I envy them. Other times, not so much.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I just discovered something profound. Something I have always doubted my entire life. I have finally accepted the truth of who I am. What I am. After many years of denying myself what I suspected, it is finally revealed to me through discussions here, and also U2U's. I must say, I am relieved. To think I was slowly progressing towards insanity... That was a frightening thought. I do not say this lightly. The truth is: I am a multipotential polymathic genius.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by OrphenFire
reply to post by network dude

I do not know what is going to be said. For instance:

Person 1: "What are you thinking about?"
Person 2: "Same thing as you, we are the same."
Person 1: "We are not the same. I am completely different from you."
Person 2: "Then why are we a part of the same mind?"
Person 1: "I don't know, but we seem to be seperate."

Everything that "I" say is spontaneous. Not rehearsed, not thought about beforehand. It's a real conversation. The reason I said it was like reciting lines in a play is because it flows so well like a conversation between two different people.

Conversations divulge into various discussions of things that I enjoy talking or thinking about. This leads to various self-discoveries of who I am, as well as new theories for anything from ponderings of the soul, our origins, whatever. Like I said, they are very invigorating conversations. I never learn anything exclusive that I didn't know before.

I have experienced the same thing. I have schizophrenia. It is degenerative so you may not see the signs of this right away. It comes and goes with degres and stages. Yes, seek mental health professionals, let them try abilify or geocodone or risperodone or whatever they use for you to inhibit the seratonin production which is likely to be building up in your system. You can live with it, just remember always it is not real amn do not engage it.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhyberDragon

Originally posted by OrphenFire
reply to post by network dude

I do not know what is going to be said. For instance:

Person 1: "What are you thinking about?"
Person 2: "Same thing as you, we are the same."
Person 1: "We are not the same. I am completely different from you."
Person 2: "Then why are we a part of the same mind?"
Person 1: "I don't know, but we seem to be seperate."

Everything that "I" say is spontaneous. Not rehearsed, not thought about beforehand. It's a real conversation. The reason I said it was like reciting lines in a play is because it flows so well like a conversation between two different people.

Conversations divulge into various discussions of things that I enjoy talking or thinking about. This leads to various self-discoveries of who I am, as well as new theories for anything from ponderings of the soul, our origins, whatever. Like I said, they are very invigorating conversations. I never learn anything exclusive that I didn't know before.

I have experienced the same thing. I have schizophrenia. It is degenerative so you may not see the signs of this right away. It comes and goes with degres and stages. Yes, seek mental health professionals, let them try abilify or geocodone or risperodone or whatever they use for you to inhibit the seratonin production which is likely to be building up in your system. You can live with it, just remember always it is not real amn do not engage it.

I appreciate your concern and input, but I prefer to stay away from medication. Read my previous post. Also, I am still going to attend a couple of therapy sessions, but only for the sake of getting some things off my chest that have been building up. Thanks anyway, though.

P.S. If I end up having schizophrenia, I owe you a drink.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Lol. Well, good luck with it all.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphenFire

Many mind-sense data has spiritual explanations.

For instance there are spirits and astral entities that would be willing to engage in conversations with those interested.
There are a variety of such entities,
benevolent and dedicated ones are often called "spirit guides",
though there is a wide range of possible spirits, maybe even star being,
some other names include "demon", "god", "angel".

So when "god told" it's typically a mind-sensed entity.

Sometimes it is even a former self reflection,
like from a past-life or potential future-life,
since we're all in the internal present.

Something to note is it would be beneficial to be creative and productive.
At least write out your discussions, maybe draw as well,
perhaps act upon your gained knowledge to improve life,
perhaps by creating a product or offering a service.

[edit on 21-4-2010 by lowki]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
People do this internally all the time. you are just doing vocally what many people do in their minds when contemplating deep topics that they are uncertain. they propose ideas to themselves and then argue why that has merit or not.
Why you have an urge to do this externally rather than internally could be something very simple. I certainly don't think it makes you crazy or mentally unstable.

debating things with yourself is quite normal. most people do it without even being aware of the fact that the have just had an internal argument.

Unless there are other circumstances you have mentioned I would not be too concerned.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
My 2c

The mind is a powerful thing. Don't let people or psychiatrists tell you you're sick or "going" to have symptoms they can sometimes make a "mental illness" worse. I've experienced this myself. For example: You're having symptoms of depression, schizophrenia or some other illness so you go to the psychiatrist, then he starts explaining how you're going to feel or how you're going to get worse, and he starts telling you more about symptoms, and prescribes meds. Hearing stuff like this from people can actually manifest more symptoms and make things worse than it is or worse than it was going to be.

This is just an observation of mine, I've seen my share. Its simple really, like a placebo effect. Anti psychotics may help some people in a chemical lobotomy sort of way or you might get lucky and find one that sorta works but imho medicine has not advanced enough to truly cure people of there ills. A lot of psych pills haven't changed much since the old days. There are too many different brain types for such a small selection of meds. You may not be in the early stages of anything. You probably just have a couple of quirks, maybe gifted

A good therapist or family support (love and care) probably would help more people than meds imho.

Hatter

[edit on 21-4-2010 by TheMadHatter]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

2. Seek out religious advice, and talk to a trusted counsellor, if you really feel it may be something else. He should be wise enough to give you better insights to the spiritual realm, that many other humans whom are caught up in the pursuit of wealth to give a second thought.

The occultic and black magic, and the power of God. It's workings in our lives from a Christian perspective; a very enlightening topic about a side we can never really measure. Emmanuel Swedenborg was also a very spiritual man, there was an eye-opening read in his Heaven and Hell we all could learn from.

video.google.com...#

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join