It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Alien Believers...How do you deal?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

For Alien Believers...How do you deal?

Honestly, I'm at a point in my life where I believe so strongly in aliens and UFOs that I literally want to smack people who say it's "impossible." My best friend spent half an hour explaining to me how dumb it is that I would believe such a thing.

Excellent! That's called discussion! You should equally be able to spend an hour explaining to him or her why you believe. For example....

1) The sheer statistics (Drake Equation, for example) suggest there are other intelligent civilizations out ther.

2) Numerous photos, videos, eyewitnesses (including pilots, military personnel, even ex-presidents and heads of state), attest to us being visited by craft from elsewhere.

3) Numerous government projects to investigate the phenomenon.

4) With water likely to be on the moon and on Mars, the possibility of life being out there is a lot higher than we ever guessed.

etc., etc.

I want to know how you guys deal with people who call you crazy or just won't "get" what you're trying to say?

1) Realize they are entitled to their opinion, and you must respect that right, and agree to disagree.

2) If they'll let you, state your case, cite your evidence. If they won't, well, that is their choice to make.

3) Realize who you can, and who you cannot, have this discussion with...(i.e. your boss (unless he is of a similar mind, or a real pal) is probably not the best choice...)

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoomsdayRex

Originally posted by Acidtastic
...I'm pretty sure that the OP wasn't really saying that he's going to start slapping people he dissagrees with...

I agree. I don't really think s/he is going to hit someone; I take it in the literal sense to poke a little fun at the OP, no maliciousness intended.

But in all seriousness, my advice still stands as is. That particular turn of phrase still denotes an incredible frustration and perhaps over-reaction to contrary opinions.

And to echo the sentiments of another member, are you sure you are listening to what others have to say, Lauren? They may be saying the idea of ET visitation is crazy but are the necessarily saying you are crazy?

Lol. No I certainly wouldn't be slapping people just because I don't agree with them.

No, I definitely wouldn't say I overreact to contrary opinions. Honestly, I love to discuss these things, but the particular person in mind while writing this does truly call me crazy. What's worse is he constantly asks me about my theories and makes me eternally sorry that I ever gave him a reply.

But it's truly not about being angry when people don't agree with me. I have a grandmother who is Jehovah's Witness, and her opinions couldn't be any more different than mine. Yet we laugh and discuss things despite it.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ashanu90
"I'll tell you one thing about the universe, though. The universe is a pretty big place. It's bigger than anything anyone has ever dreamed of before. So if it's just us... seems like an awful waste of space. Right?"

Terrible logic, though. It's like saying that if you have one fish in a fish tank, if you keep increasing the size of the fish tank at some point there will be another fish in it. I guess it just magically appears.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
1) The sheer statistics (Drake Equation, for example) suggest there are other intelligent civilizations out there.

Or none, if any of the many Drake Equation variables equals zero.

2) Numerous photos, videos, eyewitnesses (including pilots, military personnel, even ex-presidents and heads of state), attest to us being visited by craft from elsewhere.

But NONE of them prove some very important specific things. Namely, what, where, and who. And without those, you ain't got aliens.

3) Numerous government projects to investigate the phenomenon.

And those studies have all come back inconclusive as far as we know. If you want to hypothesize about secret stuff, fine. All you need to do is come up with good, specific evidence for it.

4) With water likely to be on the moon and on Mars, the possibility of life being out there is a lot higher than we ever guessed.

If water is the key ingredient to the creation of life, maybe. But since we don't have a single clue as to how life formed in the first place, even on Earth, at this point, it's all conjecture.

Again, I'll say that the question of aliens can't be answered with calculations of probabilities or circumstantial evidence. It's a yes or no question. There's no such thing as aliens having a 38% existence. They either do or don't.

And at this point, as far as we know, there's no such thing as aliens. And that's the way it's going to stay, logically, until we discover them. Because logically, we can't prove they don't exist, because it's impossible to prove a negative. Only positive proof will do.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by Blue Shift]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by LaurenVirgo

I would ask if they want to read a few intelligent books about the subject and get them a few Major Donald E Keyhoe books. The man was not one to mince words, and he has the actual records that back up what he is saying. Major Kevin Randle is another researcher who has a few very good books out there, and he is another one to not believe every case. The ones he thinks has the best evidence, he shows the evidence for them.

There are many excellent unexplained cases that support the Extraterrestrial Hypothesis. Thousands of them have physical evidence of an actual unknown craft landing.

Also, try not to use the word believer to describe yourself. That denotes faith and near religious connotations that the debunkers love to use against us. I am one who thinks the ETH is a very worthwhile theory to study. Like evolution, it has much evidence but no real smoking gun. We are all looking for that one piece of evidence that will prove we have been visited.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

I never said these things PROVE aliens exist. I said to use it in SUPPORT of the belief in the possibility.

We send people to the electric chair with far less "PROOF" than we have for aliens.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
tell'em to look at the last 100 years and see all the things we never thought were possible and just because you cant see something doesnt mean it isnt there...microbiology for example, here is something that makes up us and we didnt even know it existed! if they cant reason just wait for the day to see their jaws drop and yours...i have a feeling its coming soon and on that day people will be able to see the veil that has been over their eyes for thousands of years.
another thing you can show your friend is the problems with both creationism and darwinism.
in creationism it says we are just created the way we are and there was no evolution involved.
darwinism says evolution explains the history of human race and other species but studies has shown there was an event that profoundly changed our genetic makeup you might know this as the missing link...
i think they go hand and hand personally, and defeats the soul purpose of why were really here but you cant dismiss the missing link.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

terrible logic, given the right amount of time i bet you'll find some other type of species in the tank!

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
What you should do is approach the problem from the angle of mathematical possibility, and for that read Carl Sagans "The Variety of Scientific Experience" wherein he talks about the probability of intelligent life on other worlds.

Now, even if you have seen an alien in person you have no way to prove it, so cut people some slack. Its hard to believe in what we can't see, so that's why I encourage you to attack them with logic, otherwise you will sound crazy to most people and while I do believe in aliens, I also understand and don't blame them.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   

SnF OP for asking a good question which I cannot wait to read other like minded people their thoughts on this question!

My answer is simple. I hand my friends who are locally and in my home country I post DVD's with Steven Greers Disclosure project and 4 hours of witness statements.

The Disclosure Project Website

The Disclosure Project Full Video

The Disclosure Project Witness Statement 1 of many

I hope this helps you to pass on the word.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I never said these things PROVE aliens exist. I said to use it in SUPPORT of the belief in the possibility.

We send people to the electric chair with far less "PROOF" than we have for aliens.

Yes, but that's a false analogy. We know dead bodies exist. We can often figure out if somebody was murdered. We know sometimes people kill other people, and why they do it. And if we can put together a plausible scenario as to who killed who else where, when, and why, we can be pretty sure of ourselves in executing somebody.

And even then, we could still be wrong. So, knowing that, you can figure out how confident you should be in your belief of aliens when you can't even come up with nearly that level of supportive evidence.

Answer: Not very.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by BroketheWall
terrible logic, given the right amount of time i bet you'll find some other type of species in the tank!

Really? And where will they come from?

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Hi OP and all,

There's no dealing with this stuff, perhaps thanking god their here? I believe humanics nuclear intentions are their top priority. Not saving us, saving this ball toward future in-habitation.

Gazrok !!, great to see you once again Sir.

Decoy

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

in the form on micro organisms or fun gui...

www.newscientist.com...
enjoy!

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
If a discusion doesn't work and your friends keeps telling you it's a stupid idea. Tell him to stop and just agree to disagree.

Like girlz or boyz or highlights and extensions or beerand football. No more aliens.

If you are more about passion... Well... just slap him in the face.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
And while the forum is called Aliens and UFO's. I think we should separate the two, im a firm believer in ufo's...when i say ufo's i mean seemingly intelligently controlled objects that surpass any known flight characteristics we deem possible...speed,acceleration,maneuverability etc. I have seen more than enough evidence to convince me of that, yet i do not believe aliens are visiting us...there is no evidence of that imo. So until such evidence shows itself i will believe they are terrestrial in nature and not extra-terrestrial.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Basically I just smile at their state mandated belief system they live by, while at the same time accepting that seeing is believing and as they have not seen anything or examined the massive amount of evidence out there for ufos in our sky they are in no position to understand.

Before my initial sighting I couldn't have given a hoot about ufos to be honest. I was just sort of the same, never gave it a seconds thought, always steered clear of all the space programs and sci fi stuff, it was way out and weird. I really admire people who believe without having had an encounter themselves, so those that don't believe then I definitely understand their position too, even if they are blind to the truth.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Well, I just shake my head a little, and walk away, remembering the words of Paul Simon in the song "The Boxer." "A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest." I have a neighbor woman who believes in everything I say about ETs, NWO, and all that conspiracy stuff, but her hubby, son, and son's wife are what I call "box thinkers," in that they do not believe in anything they cannot immediately see, touch, and hear. So, the woman and I sit and talk, and even though the others are in the room, we just ignore them. This same woman also tells me that we were in the Civil War together, in a past life. I happen to agree with her on that.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Personally I just don't think or atleast try not to because if I do then my love for aliens and the unknown gets me in trouble...

Aliens seem to not be for this point in time because we can't even get stuff settled on everyday problems of life.

Besides I hear that people who like aliens alot get blasted with electricity and alien waves taht cause a person to enter some 1 way Universal thought stream, this was something I heard and prolly has no merit.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
We also have to look at the ego's role in this whole thing. Why is it so important for us to have people agree with us or believe us?

It truly doesn't matter what others think, does it?

One persons truth is not anothers. Even though we are all on the path to the same source, we have many avenues to get there.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join