It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1.8 Billion Year Old Nuclear Reactor In African Republic Of Gabon

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by daggyz

you forgot to mention the snake jiggling hebrewloid speaking inca monkeys who watch us watch TV

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Time to invade Gabon before they have WMD's. he he he

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by minute2midnight
reply to post by THEsmokefrog

You didn't know nuclear reactions could occur naturally? Really? You do realize the Sun is a giant fusion reactor right?

i know you weren't replying to me but since were both being smartasses, i'll just go ahead and yeah, i do realize the distinction between a star, and a planet. to think that could happen even by accident never once crossed my mind until i opened this thread.

and it truly blows my mind. even in the bizarro event that it is manmade, both possibilites are supremely fascinating and i'm just awed by the ...awesomeness of this world, this universe, this reality that we get to experience every day. who would ever need to fall into the fantasy pages of a fiction novel with all of this wonder around us...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by THEsmokefrog
reply to post by Now_Then

well dude, frankly i never knew a nuclear reactor could be produced naturally either, and thats my suprise! hehe, it just doesnt seem so plausable as to be explained as such a natural phenomena when until now i didnt even realise it was possible so who knows.
Im looking further into the subject as we speak so will post whatever extra i can find here

So you're just assuming it probably isn't natural since you didn't know about it previously? Or are you a nuclear physicist? We discover new things about nature on a daily basis, my friend. This is a great topic, and I'm looking forward to seeing what people with more experience on this subject have to say. However, I have no reason to believe it isn't natural without more evidence pointing toward that conclusion. Either way, thanks OP.

Cheers,
Strype

edit: Fixed quote

[edit on 15-4-2010 by Strype]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by shagreen heart

i know you weren't replying to me but since were both being smartasses, i'll just go ahead and yeah, i do realize the distinction between a star, and a planet. to think that could happen even by accident never once crossed my mind until i opened this thread.

and it truly blows my mind. even in the bizarro event that it is manmade, both possibilites are supremely fascinating and i'm just awed by the ...awesomeness of this world, this universe, this reality that we get to experience every day. who would ever need to fall into the fantasy pages of a fiction novel with all of this wonder around us...

I'm with you. Those who don't believe that "GOD" designed and controls the wonders (and horrors) we witness each day think they were created "randomly".

But even those who believe in "GOD" as the creator when it come to finding some rare elements in "Gabon" (sounds like what goes on at ATS) think it had to happen naturally.

These type of "reactor created" element appear in Crop Circles -- which are acts of "GOD" (or UFO/ET/Alien if you prefer).

[edit on 15-4-2010 by etcorngods]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
yup this coincides with reports i have read about places in india and sri lanka where it would seem to be zones of irradiation like where a nuclear bomb would have gone off.

this also fits into the vedic stories of an ancient war between the 2 countries.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

Where do Vedic texts describe a war between Indian microbes and Gabonese microbes that took place 1,799,800,000 years before the first modern humans appeared on the planet?

This is so long ago that Pangea hadn't even formed. In fact, Rodinia hadn't even formed!

It was 1,600,000,000 years before the first dinosaurs even appeared.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

Reasonable indeed. Why then does the Wiki article require the presence of water for the reaction to occur?

The natural nuclear reactor formed when a uranium-rich mineral deposit became inundated with groundwater that acted as a neutron moderator, and a nuclear chain reaction took place. The heat generated from the nuclear fission caused the groundwater to boil away, which slowed or stopped the reaction. After cooling of the mineral deposit, short-lived fission product poisons decayed, the water returned and the reaction started again. These fission reactions were sustained for hundreds of thousands of years, until a chain reaction could no longer be supported.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Simply backtracking half-lives of common fissionable radioactive materials over such a vast period of time should reveal that it's not terribly remarkable for a concentration of such material to occur approaching critical mass. Not concentrated enough to explode but more of a prolonged 'fizzle' type nuclear reaction leaving the fission by-products we can now observe and wonder about.

Interesting but not sensational IMHO

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

actually nobody knows when the actual date the events in the Ramayana supposedly took place. most indian scholars can only guess as to its date. some say thousands of years ago some say millions.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Natural Uranium is about 99% Uranium 238, and 1% Uranium-235. Uranium-238 is not fissile and it cannot sustain a nuclear reaction. Uranium-235, however is only likely to be split by a slow neutron, as compared to a fast neutron. To slow a neutron down, a moderator, like water is required. Hot water does not moderate as well as cold water, and steam practically does not moderate at all, so when the water turns to steam, there is no water, or the water gets too hot, the reaction slows down. It does NOT have to be pure water for the moderation effects to occur; the reasons for using pure water in modern reactors were laid out in my previous post in this thread.

[edit on 15/4/2010 by C0bzz]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

I don't know about the ancient Indian texts, but how about the Necronomicon?

The Old Ones and Cthulhu fought for the planet close to then. Oh and the Shoggoth revolt against the Old Ones is somewhere around then too.

Bloop!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by THEsmokefrog

can you produce any evidence that it is artificial ?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

and what happened at 3 mile island , selafeild and chernobyl ? water does not moderate the reactor - it cools it

graphite cores and boron control rods are the moderators

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

That may be the nicest thing I've been called all year.

There's a theory about the Earth's core being a natural fission reactor (georeactor) which serves as the energy source for the geomagnetic field.

I remember reading a fictional account of it way longer ago than I'd care to admit.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by C0bzz

and what happened at 3 mile island , selafeild and chernobyl ? water does not moderate the reactor - it cools it

LOL.

Explain to me how a PWR or a BWR works then, neither of which contain carbon. Also why would the control rods contain a neutron moderator? You might also want to explain why they have a negative temperature coefficient. While you're at it you better tell that to PWR operators around the world whom inject Boric acid into the primary loop to act as a neutron poison.

In response:

1. Decay heat
2. Wigner energy.
3. Another property of water is that it absorbs neutrons. When the water flashed to steam, the neutrons being moderated by graphite were uninhibited leading to explosion.

I'll tell you now, you're not going to win debating this with me.

[edit on 15/4/2010 by C0bzz]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd
reply to post by Essan

actually nobody knows when the actual date the events in the Ramayana supposedly took place. most indian scholars can only guess as to its date. some say thousands of years ago some say millions.

But does anyone else think it took place hundreds of millions of years before the first basic life crawled out of the sea onto the land?

And how do you think the events were remember? A amoeba passes down the line until one day a worm turns it and after millions more years a little whelk who eventually tells the story 100 million years later to a fish and so on ..... ?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
reply to post by Essan

I don't know about the ancient Indian texts, but how about the Necronomicon?

The Old Ones and Cthulhu fought for the planet close to then. Oh and the Shoggoth revolt against the Old Ones is somewhere around then too.

Bloop!

I'm thinking some time travel loop here. The Bloop is, as we know, Cthulhu rising ..... in order to prevent the end of the world, we travel back in time to destroy him (it?) with a massive nuclear explosion - of which the Gabon 'reactor' is the remnant. Which then means the plan didn't work because the Bloop is still out there .......

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by minute2midnight

TRUE that! touché on that one, but how many suns are on earth? hehe, the point i was trying to make is that regardless of wether it was indeed the first ever found or not, the age etc makes any theory on its beginnings just that, a theory. i accept that there may be several good reasons for the naturally occuring theory but until concrete proof surfaces for either side of the argument no1 can be any more right than anyone else, i thought this was a conspiracy site so lets think outside the box. im trying to dig up some solid info on the subject (thanks for the wiki link moderator!).
But as was said by about half the folks commenting, the antediluvian civilisation theory has been around a long time and there are many artifacts out there that shouldnt exist according to conventional science, do we see re-writes of the history books every single time something groundbreaking emerges, i think not.
will keep looking
peace

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Canis Lupus

His name is Max Igan.

thecrowhouse.com...

You can download his book for free in pdf, it's about 270 pages and he's put a great amount of work into it, really good read

He has a lof of other interesting links and videos there too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join