It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nearly 800,000 U.S. TV households cut the cord

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Nearly 800,000 U.S. TV households cut the cord

Nearly 800,000 households in the U.S. have "cut the cord," dumping their
cable, satellite, or telco TV providers (such as AT&T U-verse or Verizon FiOS)
and turning instead to Web-based videos (like Hulu), downloadable shows
(iTunes), by-mail subscription services (Netflix), or even good ol' over-the-air
antennas for their favorite shows, according to the report

Seems to be a mass migration away from MSM TV
could people be waking up ????
or is it just economics????

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Our household doesn't use MSM TV. Why spend money for cable or satelite when you can watch it online for free? Choose your own programming and watch it on your own time. People should be outside exercising and living life instead of being hooked to a box like life support.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Seems to be a mass migration away from MSM TV

MSM channels are available on Internet TV as well.

800,000 is still a tiny amount. I doubt the rest will follow and dump cable entirely until Internet bandwidth and so the quality of Internet video improves to at least a DVD or higher standard.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I think its a economical thing...I personally have cable only for a select few channels...if those channels were streamed over the net, I would have no need for cable service. I think in the next 10 years, cable/satellite packages will fail completely, and people will just stream channels

The channels better wise up quickly...charge a buck or two per year for a stream... The net will eventually consume all information based functions in society, from radio, to television, to news..etc

About time.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by john124

800,000 is still a tiny amount. I doubt the rest will follow and dump cable entirely until Internet bandwidth and so the quality of Internet video improves to at least a DVD or higher standard.

Which is being implemented at least across the US...super broadband speeds can download a DVD in a few minutes..and it will only get faster from there...

Good times we are living in.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

They'll start charging money eventually once more people go online to watch TV programs. I don't think it would be any different from normal television. I think it's just economics.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by Striker122]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I just cut the cord, too.

After the initial withdrawals, I feel liberated and so free of the conditioning, brainwashing and just plain crap!

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by john124

800k households is roughly the same as 64 Million Dollars a month.. 768 million a year.

Not to mention with less viewers.. advertising prices will have to drop. Companies loose money at both ends.

I tossed cable out the window several months ago, we got it on a whim.. we went 4 years without, thought we'd spoil ourselves. I hated it. I hate TV in general.. but it was just flipping through channels with nothing good on at all. Dropped it and saved $120 a month (got rid of their crappy internet to)

We have Netflix. I get the best shows and all their seasons for instant streaming. I also get Starz included with Netflix. So any movie or show of Starz, I can stream (or have it delivered in Blueray) .. which is great, because my new fav show is Spartacus
$15 a month.. compared to $120. (Granted.. I did get a new internet provider at $20 a month.. still hell of a lot cheaper)

Screw the big cable companies and their outrageous prices.. I hope to see them all go belly up.. TV should be free, companies wanting to advertise should be the ones paying.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Oh if there were other opportunities for the rural folks.
My little town has no cable provider, no landline broadband, and just recently, a wifi hotspot for our 4-square-block city center. It's satellite or Cell phone for any broadband data or entertainment is available due to the proximity of a major metroplex.

gj

top topics

join