It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Finds Mysterious Fluid-Secreting Skull; Local News Anchor Baffled

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sparky63
My guess is that it is a partially decayed turtle skull.

academic.emporia.edu...

www.savalli.us...

[edit on 4/14/2010 by Sparky63]

[edit on 4/14/2010 by Sparky63]

My thought too....until I saw your photos. Now I'm CERTAIN that's what it is.....thanks for finding those!

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Between MaxBlack and Sparky63 the evidence points to a honeycombed turtle skull. The first and last links Sparky gave bear a strong resemblance to the mystery skull. I am uneducated in bone composition, or any kind of skull anatomy, but Max provides a convincing arguement.

The last link Sparky posted is, I feel, the closest match of all of them. However, that is a picture of a Toxochelys, which wikipedia tells me went extinct after living in the Cretaceous period. Heres the kicker: the fossils of Toxochelys are found primarily in Kansas, and this skull was found off the coast of Maine. I don't think a very old fossil would wind up on the surface after all this time.

Also try to note it's size. There can't be that many turtles with skulls that big in the world. Lets review the points. If it is a turtle skull, it must be a sea-going turtle, of substantial size, and must have a habitat that includes Maine's waters. Simple matters of elimination remain.

A part of me says that the museum people who examined this skull would have had the same ideas, but it didn't work out for them. If I only had their findings...

Edit: Surely turtle skulls have been collected from the Ocean floor before. Was this honeycombing/secretion phenomenon ever recorded before by bone collectors, or marine researchers who have brought turtle skulls up from the seafloor? It must have, or else this case is somehow unique...

[edit on 14-4-2010 by fleetlord]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I still don't see it as a sea turtle.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by JBA2848]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
It actually looks like a sea turtle skull with the lower jaw missing.
Don't t know why it would be oozing oil after all these years though.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
The turtle skulls look similar..but look at the top of the skull on the video..it has a prominent spike on the top..

My first thought was a dragon..im not kidding..rofl..it really looks like one...sighs..though dragons are mythical beings..but hey..crazier things have happened

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Is there so little scientific interest in this that the owner has to turn to a TV action reporter?

How about taking the thing to a university?

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Pretty sure it's some kind of shark snout.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Something about the structure of the video screamed "fiction" to me. Not Hoax; fiction. Some kind of ARG or something. But I'm probably wrong.

The turtle skull looks about right, sadly for both the Mystery- and Fiction-loving sides of me.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by MaxBlack

The seeping is actually a condensation processes that takes place in the bone marrow of the skull material

This sounds plausible to me. I remember I used to have a big piece of rock salt a friend had brought up from a salt mine, sitting out in the open on a shelf. The salt attracted moisture out of the air somehow and sometimes felt "wet" and even melted away slowly.

This skull, having been in salt water for so long may be doing the same thing; especially since its in a plastic bag and can't breath/ evaporate.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yummy Freelunch
My first thought was a dragon..im not kidding..rofl..it really looks like one...sighs..though dragons are mythical beings..but hey..crazier things have happened

That reminds me of when I saw a fake documentary on dragons a few years ago. It was done brilliantly, just like a proper documentary, and laid out the evidence so well....I thought it was real
In my defence, I didn't see it from the start! lol. I rang my dad to tell him they'd discovered a dragon skeleton
Somewhat embarassing, I must say.

Also, wayno, rock salt does absorb water from the air; but as you say, it dissolves, so after 15 years I'd imagine it would be gone by now. Rock salt also ionizes the air when it's warm

[edit on 15-4-2010 by ShadowArcher]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join