It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Finds Mysterious Fluid-Secreting Skull; Local News Anchor Baffled

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Man Finds Mysterious Fluid-Secreting Skull; Local News Anchor Baffled

io9.com

Years ago, Tony Richardson found a strange skull on the sea floor. After 15 years of silence (and keeping the skull in his garage), he's demanding answers. Luckily, reporter Bill Green's on the case! Can you help solve the mystery?
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I found this intriguing story while browsing the web. Heres the story in a nutshell: A man finds a skull while fishing 15 years ago. He noted that the skull releases some sort of secretion that does not attract flies or other insects/animals.

Jus looking at the skull, I have a feeling that it is a fossil of some long extinct sea creature. But, what could account for the secretions? Surely after 15 years in a garage it would be dry of the ocean water? Does anyone know if any other creature's skull secretes anything?

Also, no matter how sincere they appear to be at solving this mystery, I'm afraid that if anyone does solve it and sends the information in as they instruct, then they will simply take the credit. But, thats just my normal paranoid self.

Here is the video from the article:link.brightcove.com...
io9.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-4-2010 by fleetlord]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Yeah man, that's a pretty funky looking skull. Almost looks like a beak on the front, maybe a type of sea turtle or something. Or a dragon, of course

Wonder why it's secreeting liquid, maybe it's got some kind of parasite living inside it.

who knows, not me that's for sure.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Very interesting story! Can't wait to see what it may turn out to be. The secretion of liquid is strange after 15 years.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
That's a pretty wicked lookin' skull! This story intrigues me. I wonder how often it secretes fluid, or did it just happen once.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
If it keeps secreting liquid whenever he takes the fossil out of the Garage then its nothing more than moisture.
The changes in temperature variation from a cool/dark Garage to the warmer outdoors would have this effect on anything.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Very cool looking skull!

But there's really nothing mysterious about the fluid it secretes. I'd wager it's some sort of oil. As a floor sander, I work with oil based stains, and I see that all the time. One particular color called "Provincial" by Minwax is notorious for "bleeding up". The stuff constantly leaks out of the wood grain, even after resanding a 20 year old floor.

I doubt the guy cleans that skull religiously, so it would be hard to judge exactly how much stuff it's secreting. But like with floors, no matter how many times you wipe it clean, it can still bleed oil.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by The Cusp

Ah, but the video shows the reporter and the man in his garage. He brings the skull and removes it from a heavy-plastic looking bag. Now, this could just be me imagining, but I think the man keeps the skull in that bag when not showing it off. Can these stains bleed through a plastic bag?
(Bag is visible in the video at 0:15 and up)

[edit on 14-4-2010 by fleetlord]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by fleetlord

It's doubtful it would bleed through the plastic, but I'm not really sure what you're referring to. Sure the bag looked dirty, but he does seem to keep in in his garage. Plus that oil would be all over his hands after handling the skull, which could then transfer onto the outside of the bag when he puts it away.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Need better pictures.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Seems strange, but then it should be a quick fix to determine if this is a mystery or not.

Wonder why he has not taken it to the museum or university labs, for analysis?

One would think that would be an obvious move, should there be a true interest in finding out what is happening - presuming he doesn't already know...

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by The Cusp

What I meant was that the heavy plastic bag that the skull might be stored in would stop any oils or stains from "bleeding up" into the skull. And if this is the case, and no oil is entering from the outside, then the secretions must come from the skull itself. Also, re-reading my last post I see how it was could be misinterpreted.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I used to be a commercial fishing captain in Alaska. We'd catch wolf eels sometimes. One of them i caught was really cool and i wanted to have it stuffed and mounted. I called the taxidermist and he told me that alot of the eels can't really be mounted cause they will secrete oils for years.
I asked him if it would even secrete after he stuffed it and cured it and he said it would.

That skull is prolly from a type of oily eel.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

The man mentions bringing the skull to a local museum for tests, but nothing ever came of them.
I might be skipping a word or two, but: (the skull's finder/owner speaking)
"I did take it down, here, to the museum, here in Augusta, and, uh, they tried to analyze it and see what it was. And they couldn't. So they sent me to Waterville, to the scientists there."
(In the video at 0:39 to 0:52)
It changes topic after that, so we don't know what the "scientists there" found out about the skull.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by fleetlord

Thank you - I wasn't able to watch the video, at the moment - so I was only going from the article.

Wish there was more information about the second analysis...

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Are we certain of the authenticity of this? I only ask because as soon as the picture popped up I got serious de ja vue. I cannot for the life of me think why, but I'm sure it was something similar - and even the name seems familiar; though that's likely my imagination.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
My guess is that it is a partially decayed turtle skull.

academic.emporia.edu...

www.savalli.us...

[edit on 4/14/2010 by Sparky63]

[edit on 4/14/2010 by Sparky63]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
www.marinebiodiversity.ca...

I would say a shark skull that someone removed the jaws from. The jaws on a shark sit below the skull and are seperate so that they can project outward when biteing.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by JBA2848]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Heres a picture a sharks head that shows how the mouth or jaws are seperate from the skull.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Items that have been in water for prolonged periods often honeycomb the material being submerged. Bone or marrow on a skull that has been submerged for a period of time creates a different type of bone or skull material that appears honeycombed from all the water exposure.
Once such a submerged item is brought back to the surface, quite often it will seep because what is happening is that the skull and its bone composition has been honeycombed and when dried out it will seep from time to time from a process of water vapor condensation.

The seeping is actually a condensation processes that takes place in the bone marrow of the skull material. As such, it takes the air and by a process of humidity it collects the moisture it creates and can be seen to discharge a wet substance from time to time as a result of the condensation buildup that has no place to go when created and because it is contained by the skull material, it will seep out over time as a normal function of having somewhere to go when the condensation gets to be sufficient enough to be seen.

While I wish I had the exact scientific terms for what I am describing, but the porous skull material helps to create the moisture and it also keeps it from evaporating. This is why it will appear to seep from time to time when sufficient condensation exists to actually see it seep out. It is a natural occurring process that can and most likely continue to seep a moisture for as long as you own it. It is not a miracle or a religious sign from above to have a seeping skull that originally came from the ocean floor.

Thanks for the posting.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join