It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lt. Col. Terry Lakin to be court-martialed for refusing order to deploy to Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I know some members have been following this story, I did a quick search but couldn't locate a thread on this,so I am posting for awareness.

If this is a dupe please provide a link so I can close this one .

www.nydailynews.com

An Army doc who refuses to go to Afghanistan until President Obama produces a birth certificate will face court-martial.

Lt. Col. Terry Lakin, a decorated military man who has become a part of the fringe "birther" movement - which believes President Obama was not born in the United States - could face a dishonorable discharge for failing to obey orders, MSNBC reported on Tuesday.

The 18-year veteran came out in support of the largely discredited conspiracy theorists at the end of March, proclaiming he would "disobey" his "illegal" orders to deploy.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I gotta wonder why this guy is willing to put everything on the line like this. Better yet, what is in his back pocket. This should get interesting.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Unfortunately, I think we are seeing a combination of events. Soldiers not wanting to be redeployed yet again, and kids finally waking up to what joining the military really means.

If I'm not mistaken, another soldier did the same thing 6 - 8 months or ago I think. It was all very quickly thrown under the rug, I believe the guy was discharged, and that was the end of it. I don't remember the specifics....

This may or may not be about Obama's birth place and more about the terrible reality of war itself.

Edit to add:
This is what I was referring to:

Stefan Frederick Cook: Soldier Won't Deploy Over Obama Birth Certificate
07-14-09

UPDATE: The Army has revoked the deployment orders for a soldier who said he shouldn't have to go to Afghanistan because (he believes) Barack Obama was never eligible to be president.

Because he's a reserve soldier who volunteered for an active duty tour he can "ask for a revocation of orders up until the day he is scheduled to report for active duty," a public affairs officer explained. Cook volunteered for the tour in May of this year. It is not clear why he did so, considering his current objections.

Link: www.huffingtonpost.com...

[edit on 14-4-2010 by lpowell0627]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
I gotta wonder why this guy is willing to put everything on the line like this. Better yet, what is in his back pocket. This should get interesting.

Don't hold your breath jibeho, nothing will come of it. There's nothing to show. Obama is hawaii born, no matter how much you hate him that isn't going to change.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by damwel

Don't hold your breath jibeho, nothing will come of it. There's nothing to show. Obama is hawaii born, no matter how much you hate him that isn't going to change.

I'm not a birther and I don't doubt his birth on US soil. I do question who is father is. Michelle Obama has been quoted in a highly public round table at the University of Missouri that Obama's mother was "very young and very single" when she gave birth to Barry. Not exactly what I would call a Freudian slip.

As for the LTC... Why throw away a career over a BC controversy? Either he knows something pertaining to a BC (unlikely), he simply does not care any more, or he knows of something a little more dire that is lying on the horizon for our nation.

Obama is not worth going to jail over.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by jibeho]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
His defense would have to include some discovery and subpoena powers that may require the govt. to produce the "Certified copy of the Birth certificate", not the "certificate of live birth" thats been produced. I too want to see the "Certified copy of the B.C." proving residency.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by The Undertaker]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Thanks for posting the follow up to this story.

Many of us were certain that this case would end in court-martial. The original thread about his announcement is here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Thanks BH.

As others have mentioned it seems like a strange topic to walk the plank on considering the Officers career, maybe they are trying to use the courts martial avenue to try and get the docs to prove this one way or another.

While I don't believe the details of the procedure are for public dissemination, it would be obvious by the results as to which side has proven their case on this issue.

Anyone more familiar with this procedure?

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
As I said in the other thread, all the court-martial has to prove is that Lakin disobeyed the law. They don't have to allay his suspicions by proving that Obama was born in the US and therefore is legally the president. I'm no lawyer, have never taken one law class and I know that. If Lakin is trying to do this to pull out Obama's documents, he's going to be highly disappointed.

The analogy I used in the other thread is... If a man kills his wife because he believes she's cheating, they don't have to prove to him that she wasn't cheating. He still disobeyed the law.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Gotcha, so that makes Lakin's stand on this even more peculiar.

ed:sp

[edit on 4/14/2010 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I was thinking that if he takes this the full route, he might actually get a sworn affidavit from a Hawaiian state official stating that Obama is a natural born citizen, but that's as far as it's going to go and this guy is getting a dishonorable discharge for his "stand".

Thank goodness. Once we have people questioning the orders of their superiors based on someone's delusional belief that Obama is not the President, it'll open the floodgates for people to start disobeying orders based on those criteria.

"Private! Clean that latrine!"

"Sir, I respectfully decline on the account that the orders from the chain of command come from an illegitimate President..."

I hope he gets a DD and some time in Leavenworth. They need to penalize these whackos for jeopardizing the chain of command.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
As I said in the other thread, all the court-martial has to prove is that Lakin disobeyed the law. They don't have to allay his suspicions by proving that Obama was born in the US and therefore is legally the president. I'm no lawyer, have never taken one law class and I know that. If Lakin is trying to do this to pull out Obama's documents, he's going to be highly disappointed.

The analogy I used in the other thread is... If a man kills his wife because he believes she's cheating, they don't have to prove to him that she wasn't cheating. He still disobeyed the law.

Defense might go that route though. Especially if they've got anyone like Orly Taitz on the job. I can just see it now...

Lakin: "I can refuse to deploy, that might get Obama to show his documents..."

Lawyer: "That's crazy enough that it just might work!"

Judge: "That's crazy enough that you get a trip to Leavenworth and lose your pension!"

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Gotcha, so that makes Lakin's stand on this even more peculiar.

I know. I don't get it. Unless he, like some others, thinks that by bringing this to the forefront yet again, there will be someone out there who will be able to do something more to force Obama's long form BC to appear.

Or it's possible (like grahag suggests) he thought the simple case of having it go to trial would bring out the documents to prove him wrong. He just might not be very savvy, legally. His lawyer should have told him that he had no chance whatsoever, in that case, though. But a lawyer who would take this case is questionable. Yes, Orly, indeed!

Then there's the possibility that he REALLY believes that a usurper is in the White House and his conscience won't allow him to obey the order. If that's the case, he needs to be... evaluated, IMO.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   

not according to the government of Kenya.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by lilwolf

not according to the government of Kenya.

I think you mean to say that a member of the Kenyan government. I don't believe there has been an official statement made by the Kenyan government.

It's like if some mayor in a California suburb said that Dmitry Medvedev was a son of Sacramento, that it automatically makes it a statement from the US Government that makes him a US Citizen.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
Unfortunately, I think we are seeing a combination of events. Soldiers not wanting to be redeployed yet again, and kids finally waking up to what joining the military really means.

If I'm not mistaken, another soldier did the same thing 6 - 8 months or ago I think. It was all very quickly thrown under the rug, I believe the guy was discharged, and that was the end of it. I don't remember the specifics....

This may or may not be about Obama's birth place and more about the terrible reality of war itself.

Edit to add:
This is what I was referring to:

Stefan Frederick Cook: Soldier Won't Deploy Over Obama Birth Certificate
07-14-09

UPDATE: The Army has revoked the deployment orders for a soldier who said he shouldn't have to go to Afghanistan because (he believes) Barack Obama was never eligible to be president.

Because he's a reserve soldier who volunteered for an active duty tour he can "ask for a revocation of orders up until the day he is scheduled to report for active duty," a public affairs officer explained. Cook volunteered for the tour in May of this year. It is not clear why he did so, considering his current objections.

Link: www.huffingtonpost.com...

[edit on 14-4-2010 by lpowell0627]

Major Cook was interesting, volunteers for Afghanistan, then files a lawsuit. It was basically political theater for Orly Taitz, his lawyer.

The just canceled his orders since he was volunteering anyway. I don't believe he was discharged. Didn't hear anything about that. But he very well could've been.

As for LtCol Lakin, kick him out. He'll probably open his own medical practice and hit the Birther lecture circuit.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by bg_socalif
As for LtCol Lakin, kick him out. He'll probably open his own medical practice and hit the Birther lecture circuit.

He's either crazy, or has an underlying motive.

He's an officer so he will be "dismissed". The Lt Col has 17-18 years in, so he's very close to retiring and he'll lose all that pension. I'd guess for an MD Lt Col, the retirement would be at least $40-50 thousand annually for the rest of his life + other benefits. Although that might be chicken feed in some medical profession specialties. For example if he's an anesthesiologist, he has time to earn a few million in private practice before retiring. He must know he can't win. I think he might be running for political office.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Maybe the guy fancy's himself as another Billy Mitchell the only problem being that at least Mitchell was partially right when he tried to make a martyr of himself . All Lakin has done is join up with a bunch of right wing racists and or crackpots that will be some legacy if you can even call it that .

Cheers xpert11

top topics

join