It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ATTACKS: Bomb In Russian Market Kills 9

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:43 AM
link   
A bomb made from about 2 lbs. of plastic explosives was detonated in a crowded Russian market today. The powerful explosion ripped through metal kiosks and market stalls killing 9, and wounding 37 others. Officials are still unsure if this is a case of terrorism or a business dispute. The explosion took place in Samara, 500 miles southeast of Moscow

BBC - 'Bomb' blast rocks Russia market
At least eight people have died in a blast in a Russian market, in what officials believe was a deliberate attack.
The explosion in the central city of Samara was initially blamed on an accident with gas canisters. But prosecutors later said plastic explosive was used, although it was not clear whether a terror attack or a business dispute was suspected.

Nearly 40 people were injured in the blast in the crowded Kirov market at noon (0700GMT). Television pictures showed scenes of devastation, with bodies lying among wrecked market stalls.

The city is 800km (500 miles) south-east of Moscow.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Police had previously thought that the explosion was from gas canisters. These canisters are widely used in the Russian markets, and it is not uncommon for one of them to catch fire or explode. This blast however was far more powerful, and prosecutors have started an investigation as to who planted the explosives.

Additional Sources:
Associated Press - Bomb Kills Eight in Central Russia Market

[Edited on 4-6-2004 by dbates]

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
What you want to bet it's Chechen rebels.
Reuters has the death toll at 9.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
A business dispute?!? 2lbs. of plastic explosives used to solve a business dispute? Seems a bit extreme to me.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher
What you want to bet it's Chechen rebels.
Reuters has the death toll at 9.

These numbers do change as the situation is updated. Thanks! I'll update the story with the new count.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by chaosrain
A business dispute?!? 2lbs. of plastic explosives used to solve a business dispute? Seems a bit extreme to me.

Well if that business dispute involved the Red Mafia 2lbs. of PE is not extreme for them. They are perhaps the most powerful organized Crime syndicate on the planet now. And any type of Russain military weapon is not out of there reach and I mean any. Perhaps they were not paying thier protection money.

top topics

join