It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious radio waves emitted from nearby galaxy

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

What I have said is scientific fact not something I just made up. Go look it up yourself. Ill even give you the link. Im sorry you cant wrap your head around the concept that nothing can travel faster than light. Except space itself but thats a different concept.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.astr.ua.edu...
www.stsci.edu...

[edit on 24-4-2010 by dcb942]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Also there is a reason we can break the sound barrier and not the light barrier. Think about it. It would be impossible to break the sound barrier with sound itself. So we broke it with matter which is essentially energy. How are we supposed to break the light barrier with the very thing that light is made out of? Im not saying its impossible, it just cant be done with normal matter and through the natural laws of physics. So what do we do? Change the laws of physics of course.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
That's where I'm coming from. The law's of physics are based on our CURRENT understanding of everything we have discovered and researched. However without knowing what exotic mater and energies exist that we have no current understanding of we can't state that as scientific fact, only a theory based on our current limited knowledge of the universe.

But anyway, this is kind of a chicken/egg god/atheist argument... so I'll shut up

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
wasn't einstein's theory(and most of physics today, I think) partially based on James clerk maxwell's work? and the model used(heavily gutted by his assistant, heaviside) incomplete? with clerk's original model(the original unified theory) faster than light was shown to be possible. going off "dark mission" for that..

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
basing relative theories upon the speed of light as origin makes no sense.

its like saying light is time, which it is not.

if something is faster than light then that in itself proves this, it would make the origin what is newly discovered nothing more than newly measured speed, measured speed of discovered things is only measured speed, not a bar that time is based on .

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Interesting that this thread has turned a relatively interesting observation, into what can only be described as a debate between the strictest and most anal of the "what we know is fact not theory" brigade, and the most deeply entrenched members of the "humans are stupid, Im ashamed to be one" set.
You would have thought that with all the intelligent folks who clearly populate this, and other such threads, that something more could be achieved than a long drawn out argument between two factions, as psychologicaly mobile as your average boulder.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
New infomaition of the object seen in galaxy M82:

Interview with radio astronomer who discovered the mystery signal

Prof. Muxlow has noticed an occasional faint radio wave appear and disappear in M82's central region between his radio wave samplings every six months to a year.

So it's not the only odd thing in M82. Sounds hopefull that we might get to see another object like this.

We are scratching our heads over this. It’s not a faint supernova remnant. It’s not the active galactic nucleus of M82 or background quasar. It’s obviously not a foreground object either because there is not much between us in the Milky Way and M82. This area has been searched very carefully in other wave bands and nothing else has been seen. So, it’s most likely some form of accretion disc system, some form of micro-quasar, but most certainly of a type we haven’t seen an example of before. So, this is probably some form of stellar or intermediate mass black hole system with a mass of tens of solar masses around which an accretion disc is formed. And we have not seen one of these in detail in the Milky Way before. This is a chance to study something new that does not conform to any of our conventional objects that we have seen before. So, that’s exciting!

Sounds like it's a totally new type of object. I don't think any intermediate mass black hole have been observed before.

And we now have another recent observation made, including this area of this (unique) object. The indication from some of the monitoring observations that have taken place already, this object is already resolved by some observations across the world showing that it’s of a size indicating very rapid expansion – perhaps approaching 100,000 kilometers/second (223,693,629 mph), which is very fast – faster than a supernova. So, this is looking like a jet. But with these observations we have taken, we should be able to investigate this object at around a million are second resolution. So, we will be working for some months to come, but within two or three months, we hope we will have this image and be able to see what this object looks like to see if it is really a jet from some form of accretion disc system spinning around some sort of intermediate-mass black hole, which is what we guess.”

We'll get more infomation soon it seems. The main problem with the accretion disk theory is that the signal has been pretty constant for about a year and brighter than a usual micro-quasar. One would think that if it was brighter it would use up the 'fuel' much quicker.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
You know what's missing?

The signal itself for people to hear. I want to hear it, how about anyone else?

I'd love to hear it personally

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by 711Savior

Originally posted by wylekat
You know what's missing?

The signal itself for people to hear. I want to hear it, how about anyone else?

I'd love to hear it personally

Signal? From what I've heard the most remarkable aspect of it is that it is very constant and unchanging, at least compared to supernovae. It started suddendly and reached it's peak almost imediatly, and has maintained this for almost a year.

It's possible that a more detailed look could reveal some kind of encoded pattern. But consider this: it is powerfull enough to be seen clearly from another galaxy and comes close to supernovae in terms of raw energy. If there is a message from inteligent beings it is surely "look what we can do. Don't mess with us."

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Is there any more news on this?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Yes, does anyone know anything newer than this? This is the first time I have seen this thread, and now I'm dying for an update!! I'm gonna go search and see what's new, but one of you smarties could be merciful and give us your spin on anything new!!

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Okay, seems they still aren't sure what they are looking at: an update here

www.dailygalaxy.com...

Anybody got any ideas?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
isint there some software that people can install on their pc that will help nasa analyse things for them and send it back o them.. um saeity or something like that.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Elvis7

I think its a screen saver you can download from SETI. When you leave your computer dormant it kicks in and starts downloading and analysing the radio waves. I tried it a few years back but it seemed to mess with my computer
. It could all be different now though

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I thought this was proven to be a hoax? Or was that some other claim of "radio waves"...

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
& how far away is this galaxy? That would determine how much I care.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MasonicFantom
& how far away is this galaxy? That would determine how much I care.

Someone posted 13million light years away...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
notice how the article mentions the object is moving four times the speed of light and that it could be a black hole,since singularities are so small they suffer very little space time resistance thus can travel at great speeds.

this is a black hole for only black holes can travel at four times the speed of light.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysterE

Yet it does seem to be moving – and fast: its apparent sideways velocity is four times the speed of light

Though to be honest this sort of thing to me screams of intelligence. It would be certainly a good way to send a large wave hello we are here signal, since it does not conform to how normal radio signals perform from known sources.

Star and Flag.

Peace Out,

Korg.

I'm not very familiar with the location of M83 in regards to other galaxies near the Milky Way, I believe it to be in the Hydra Centaurus Supercluster, but it could very well be in the Hydra Cluster or the Centaurus Supercluster... We're dead smack in the middle of all 3 so I'm not to certain which one to go with. (I feel like I'm on a game show) But regardless, all three galaxies / clusters with their nearest reach, are all well over 10 million light years away from Earth.

What would be the purpose to send out a radio signal saying "hello, we're here"? If it was indeed Intelligent life that sent out the constant raido signal, the event happened millions of years ago, Surely they would be long past dead by now maybe even extinct. Obviously theres no harm in trying, apart from attracting attention to our location, possibly even un-wanted attention from a outside source that just happens to pick up our signal. I'm a little skeptical sending out blind radio signals that can pin point our location in the galaxy, just on the fact our evolution process has struggled to get past killing ourselves

I know people are curious and intrigued to come in contact with Alein species, but I think we're going about it all wrong, we might be better off not knowing in certain cases then opening up a can of worms we cant cover back up. If there was a friendly Alein species out there that was capable of making contact with us, you would think they would of intervened already in our progression, instead of letting our species destroy one of; the very few planets that can harbor life.

Aleins probably visit us and see us driving around in Hummers and tears trickle down their face, we're still a very primitive species to what exists out there. Our technologies in the past 50 years has been impressive, but our train of thought and our abilities to explore the universe are still very minimal. We're still burning holes in our o-zone layer, the only thing keeping us alive from the harshness of the universe, and if racism still exists on our planet today, what makes people think species-ism doesn't exist in the universe?

Just some food for thought.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
M82 may be evolving into a spiral galaxy, as it was stated several massive black holes seem to be converging closer to its central super massive black hole, which in spiral galaxies create the spin and flattening apparent in galaxies like our Milky Way. M82 is much more massive than our own galaxy and near its central is churning out Population I stars 10 times faster than observed in other galaxies. M82 is referred to as a Starburst galaxy, thought to have been an Irregular Galaxy but in 2005 it was discovered that at least two spiral arms are forming, starting a couple of hundred million years ago.

Just my theory but observing M82 is like looking back in time to the formation of early galaxies, large hydrogen clouds in M82 and its near side on angle makes it hard to see individual stars. The gas clouds in galaxies are much larger than the stars. When the clouds hit each other, they compress and collapse to form a lot of stars in a short time. Galaxies undergoing such a burst of star formation are called starburst galaxies and they can be the among the most luminous of galaxies.

The formation of galaxies is one major field of current research in astronomy. Astronomers are close to solving the engineering problem of computer hardware speeds and simulation techniques so that they can focus on the physical principles of galaxy formation. One major roadblock in their progress is the lack of understanding of the role that dark matter plays in the formation and interaction of galaxies.

The recent discovery of "dark energy" is another major unknown in galaxy evolution models though its effects may be more important to the future of the universe than to origin and early history of the galaxies in which gravity and gas dynamics played the significant role.

There will be many new fundamental discoveries made in the coming years. Theories and models will be created from the past observations and the fundamental physical laws and principles. Predictions will be made and then tested against new observations. Nature will veto our ideas or say that we are on the right track. Theories will be dropped, modified, or broadened. Having to reject a favorite theory can be frustrating but the excitement of meeting the challenge of the mystery and occasionally making a breakthrough in our understanding motivates astronomers and other scientists to keep exploring.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join