It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious radio waves emitted from nearby galaxy

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
May sound stupid, coz i'am not good with sol stuff...

If we admit this is an object that emitted a radio wave that took 12 million years to get here, this object travels at the same speed as the radio wave, the wave that we have received a year ago was 12 million years old that could mean the object has already been and gone, as we see and hear things that are 12 millon years old. ? and if it was traveling at 4x sol that means is was 48 million light years away

[edit on 16-4-2010 by WeSbO]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by LifeInDeath

Is your friend familiar with QUANTUM TELEPORTATION?

Quantum Teleportation as Propulsion

I also recently learned that the JPL received communications from the Mars Rover (Spirit) using QT... which was accidentally discovered during an investigation by someone who had originally been looking for the source of another problem with the rover's usual communication of data.

[edit on 16/4/2010 by Hedera Helix]

Mod Note: Excessive Quoting – Please Review This Link

[edit on Fri Apr 16 2010 by Jbird]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hedera Helix
Is your friend familiar with QUANTUM TELEPORTATION?

I honestly have no idea, however I will say that the one or two times we discussed quantum physics, he evinced a fair deal of skepticism about much of it. He's much more comfortable with science that can be observed and measured. To him, much of quantum physics, string theory, M theory, etc., seems to be so out there over the edge of what we currently know and so many of these theories (or parts of them) seem to get revised or thrown out every few years that he doesn't entirely trust them. I don't think he'd say there's no value in the process, because eventually it will (hopefully) get to some verifiable truths, but for him, his own work, he likes to stick with things that he can see, measure and verify.

The last thing he showed me that he was working on was something to do with using galaxies that are gravitationally microlensing quasars as a way to determine the composition of said quasars.

I also recently learned that the JPL received communications from the Mars Rover (Spirit) using QT... which was accidentally discovered during an investigation by someone who had originally been looking for the source of another problem with the rover's usual communication of data.

I"ve read the astroengineer blog, pretty interesting stuff. Guy's a great writer and her certainly made it sound at least more plausible than probably most any other conspiracy related stuff I've read.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
hmm..it could be a warning signal..telling us something else is on its way
www.youtube.com...

skip to 00:18:40 - 00:20:40

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
You know what's missing?

The signal itself for people to hear. I want to hear it, how about anyone else?

YUP SHOW ME THE SOUND?

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Although i have no personal experience dealing with astrophysics, this seems to cry out intelligent life, due to the fact that the radio waves are remaining consistent. But then again, what do i know...

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
love threds like this The Universe is amazing i believe its older than you think.....

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Hedera Helix

I know which thread you are talking about. Did the poster ever get to the end of the story??

Please edit your quotes or use the handy REPLY TO: option.

[edit on Mon Apr 19 2010 by Jbird]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
This is pretty exciting.

Too bad Carl Sagan isn't around to witness this, he'd love it.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Will love to see where this one goes!

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
so If an object breaks the sound barrier, there is a loud explosion at that exact moment, what happens when the light barrier is broken? Since it's never happened that we know of, it's all just a guess, but it might be a real bright flash of light like what was seen at the beginning of this event. So in theory, it could be another civilization experimenting with their new technology. Just a thought.

Nice thought, always wondered what would happen when breaking the light barrier.
I think it may be like this; when we break the sound barrier, there is no noise as the craft passes because the craft is traveling faster than the sound it makes, so when something breaks the light barrier, I bet it just seems to go out, and the light follows behind the craft or object and the object we are seeing is actually say 3 to 4 times further ahead of where it appears depending on how far it has traveled.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I'm curious about something, see if my feeble little brain can grasp this.

How can something be observed traveling faster than light? Would the light it produces actually travel faster than itself? The light created and reflected couldn't possibly travel faster than light I wouldn't think, so the object we would see would only appear to be traveling light speed? How would they determine how many times faster than light something is traveling if all we know is light speed? Maybe the light speeds up as well? I just don't see how we could observe such a thing. But then again I know nothing, have no expertise in anything science. Just like to think big.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkmustache
How can something be observed traveling faster than light? Would the light it produces actually travel faster than itself?

That's a good question...one that no one has been able to answer. So I think the answer really is - no on knows for sure.

As an object approaches the speed of light, time slows down within the local frame- presumably enough to prevent light emitted from exceeding the speed of light. However, once the object actually exceeds the speed of light, who knows. Time should only change relative to the frame of reference for the object, not the observers. So they may travel light years in seconds within their frame of reference, but back on earth, years have passed.

I'd imagine that if your watching an object approach the speed of light it would appear to get smaller and then grow larger as it exceeds the speed of light. The light would originate from its location, regardless of how fast it were moving. Time slows only for those moving with the object. It would only have 1 location to us outside at any moment in time, even if that location exceeded the distance traveled by light relative to the location it was last observed at. The closer you are to it, the more it might appear to be a streak.

But again- no one really knows...

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Does anyone know if SETI is studying it? I can't seem to find anything to that fact.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by WickedStar

Don't see how that would really help. British radio astronomers are more than capable of sutying this themselves.
Britain might not be have very good optical observatories because of the sucky weather but our Radio telescopes aren't half bad.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by milkmustache
I'm curious about something, see if my feeble little brain can grasp this.

How can something be observed traveling faster than light? Would the light it produces actually travel faster than itself? The light created and reflected couldn't possibly travel faster than light I wouldn't think, so the object we would see would only appear to be traveling light speed? How would they determine how many times faster than light something is traveling if all we know is light speed? Maybe the light speeds up as well? I just don't see how we could observe such a thing. But then again I know nothing, have no expertise in anything science. Just like to think big.

It was an observation of distance traveled verses distance from us. Think of a triangle, us being at point A; anomaly starts and point B and then is observed traveling to point C. Points B to C = Time and Points A to (B | C) = Distance... it is trigonometry.

For those that didn't read the entire thread I posted this earlier. I realize this is just my perspective but as someone that deals with electronics everyday I have a feel for the limitations of technology.

Originally posted by Cassey222
I think one thing people miss about the idea of objects going faster than the speed of light is our own technological limitations. We use a system of measuring science to prove it's validity. However we fail to realize the tools we use are themselves limited to light speed. So no device we have could ever measure anything faster than light speed since the electrons zipping around inside of those devices cannot exceed the speed of light... thusly even if you point a gadget at something going faster than the speed of light the device will return a negative result. The way the astronomers were able to conclude this beam was traveling faster than the speed of light was through observation; a measurement certainly, but it was an observation of distance verses starting location and ending location, everything in the middle is unseen(the act of it moving 4x the speed of light). To be quiet honest it very well could be a radio transmission but unless we can 'see' it at 4x the speed of light we will never be able to slow it down and interpret it. If we want to ever get past the "Eintsonian" laws of physics we need to throw them out and begin thinking outside of our limited POV.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Being able to plot movement means that it isn't on a head on course with Earth, correct? Unless it is in orbit around something else, which seems to be the pattern.

Could the light barrier also be a time/dimension thing? I have heard that outside of 3D, time does not exist.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
What I want to know is are there any signals analysis experts on this? I mean it's one thing to study this as an "Object" emitting strange radio signals, and another thing completely to think of it as a transmission.

Are any of them trying to decode this?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by win 52
Being able to plot movement means that it isn't on a head on course with Earth, correct? Unless it is in orbit around something else, which seems to be the pattern.

Could the light barrier also be a time/dimension thing? I have heard that outside of 3D, time does not exist.

As per your first question; it is moving laterally as stated in the 5th paragraph of the following link.

Warp Speed

As for your question on outside the 3rd dimension I really like how Mr Sagan explains it.

It is interesting to conceptualize the radio images we have as another dimension. I can see one scenario like the piecing together of MRI images. Whatever the radio wave is I think it will take some very creative minds to even form a hypothesis, let alone test the theory.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Hmm, if it is 12 Million miles away, and traveling 4 times the speed of light, wouldn't it actually now be 48 million miles from where we are now seeing it?

If it was coming in our direction, it would be here an long gone before we saw it, unless it dropped below the speed of light. It all gets a bit confusing to think about.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join