It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious radio waves emitted from nearby galaxy

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by sos37

here is a brief more detail
Cherenkov Radiation
en.wikipedia.org...

is this somehow what is going on in M82
Askaryan effect
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
S&F

Thank you for this ...I hope the post will not die and we will eventually find out what it is ..

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I feel gratified to have a response for your idea.

PHFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
below is a quote from the same article that you may have overlooked.

The stuff in these jets is moving towards us at a slight angle and travelling at a fair fraction of the speed of light, and the effects of relativity produce a kind of optical illusion that makes the motion appear superluminal.

In other words it appears 4x the speed of light but it only appears that way.
Well as the article states anyways. I'm not trying to debunk anything just reading the article.

Here's the original article:

www.newscientist.com...

(added EX tags)

[edit on Thu Apr 15 2010 by Jbird]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I read somewhere that super massive black-holes emit radio waves. Maybe they are just picking up the signals from a black-hole that switched on.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Huntor

Look up time dilation.

If anything the object would be very young.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by RadarMan

But they also emit X-rays and they havent detected those.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

You really think life on this planet is all that "Intelligent"? Pretty ignorant life from my perspective. How intelligent is it to slaughter your own species or any other species for that matter? How intelligent is it that the top 1% of the population hoards most of the resourses of this planet? Why does the majority of the planet live in abject poverty, living hand to mouth. Is that what "intelligent" beings do to their own species? Oh well just thinking out loud! Free will, spritual developement and all that. I guess it's everyones choice right now. Hopefully soon they'll be more enlightened choices.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
People been saying its an old message from 3/12 million years ago, but i want to ask if this could be a good possibility that the signal travelled from earth and came in view of the technology what picked it up. So it might not be old.

EDIT: I might be wrong but what am thinking is that signal/light wouldn't have needed to travel back to us because its already came from earth i also say this because it might not be in M82 just in front of it. Curious if this could be a possibility.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by jonnyc55]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by jonnyc55
People been saying its an old message from 3/12 million years ago, but i want to ask if this could be a good possibility that the signal travelled from earth and came in view of the technology what picked it up. So it might not be old.

Which signal could we have sent and that is on the assumption we could send a message that far (manmade) can we?
Maybe it's one of our captured flying saucers sending a message back

Although it's kind of odd as the scientist's were watching that galaxy for surrounding super nova. A very coincidental find???

As i said earlier look at time dilation ( physics ) If the said object was travelling at that velocity it's relative time would be very slow. If that doesnt make sense look here:

en.wikipedia.org...

So the object if either very very young but perceived by us it's very old.

or going a theory i had on time dilation:

A possibility is it may actually by reversing in time. You need to understand time dilation to understand what i'm talking about.

To put it in a nutshell, the faster you go the slower time goes for you. Light could almost be considered an ageless particle ( photon ) so time has basically stopped for it, so to exceed light speed may actually begin to reverse time.

The reverse time part is something i have been thinking of but not well received by anyone that studies physics. However normal time dilation is tried and proven

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by bushidomason
Well all galaxies when we look at them have a red shift which means they are moving away from us, and actually every Galaxy is moving away from everyone due tot he big bang. Also the farther it moves away the faster it goes and therefore it could possibly and theoretically move faster than the speed of light. I was curious about this and remember hearing about when taking my astronomy and astrophysics class a long time ago. here is an article which talks about such. Galaxies traveling faster than the speed of light? It is interesting to think about.

Got to argue your point. All galaxies aren't moving away from us, the Andromeda Galaxy is actually approaching us and expected to collide in 4.5 billion years.

Is that a signal coming from that newly discovered microquasar in that galaxy?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
The universe is expanding faster than light.

consider this if you observed the Milky way from a distant place it would appear to be travelling faster than light. So we are moving FTL from the perspective of a distant observer
kinda cool.

Universal expansion only shows up on scales larger than the local group of galaxies. On smaller scales than that, gravity is locally sufficient to counteract expansion.

''There are two forces working here, gravity, and lambda, the force of expansion. Gravity depends on distance and matter density. When the universe was smaller, the density of matter was higher, and so gravity was larger than lambda, and so the expansion slowed. But as the universe kept exanding at a slower rate, it reached a point where the density of matter dropped to where lambda became greater than gravity, and the expansion began to speed up''

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007

Hehe that was a great idea.

Thanks for answering my question, i respect you for replying and now i need to understand time dilation to grasp better of what your saying.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007

Hehe that was a great idea.

Thanks for answering my question, i respect you for replying and now i need to understand time dilation to grasp better of what your saying.

The wiki page is pretty in depth but the basic way to understand it is this.

The higher your speed or velocity in relation to lightspeed the slower your time goes.

Have you ever heard the example about twins, one stays on Earth and the other travels at light speed or FTL to a nearby galaxy or star.

Now for the traveller say 1 month has passed but for the twin on Earth 80 yrs has passed. That is a basic way to explain time dilation. The higher your velocity or speed the slower your time goes relative to everything around you.
It's sounds like sci fi but its proven in physics. I keep trying to push the idea of negative time dilation in physics forums but i get shut down all the time lol.

Also look it up on youtube theres some good clips that help explain it

[edit on 15-4-2010 by Havick007]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
wouldn't it be a hoot
if the radio transmission is deciphered and it
reads:

Nibiru is real, don't take the red pill!!!

lmao

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

That is crazy stuff man.

I don't know if this is just me but when i travel in a car, the people walking outside appear to be in a slight slow motion. Next time your in a car try and look out for this.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
The weird thing is how do we even know what 4x the speed of light looks like when I thought you can't see things moving faster then the speed of light.

The illusion may have something to do with time, 4D and the expansion of space? idk lol

Time bubbles or maybe time is even breaking up there or from our point of view here.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacebot
IS IT THEIR BUSINESS TO CORRECTLY 100% UNDERSTAND ASTROPHYSICAL TERMS?
NO!

So, what is it with your scientist friends that they CAN'T get a damn article right

What astrophysical terms? The term 'apparent velocity' has nothing astrophysical about it, it's about understanding plain english.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

reply to post by Havick007

That is crazy stuff man.

I don't know if this is just me but when i travel in a car, the people walking outside appear to be in a slight slow motion. Next time your in a car try and look out for this.

Well according to physics they appear that way but it's actually the opposite. As you would be travelling faster you are the one going slower. They are actually in fast motion, of course this is a very small scale compared to space and lightspeed.

Have you ever had a day at work or school when you say oh the day went fast or oh the day went slow.

The more you do or the faster you go the slower your time goes. I can tell you that 2 hours watching a good movie or doco goes faster than 2 hours jogging or working.
I used to think it was in my head untill i discovered time dilation.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
ok just for the above posters

an example of time dilation
a satellite or space station is travelling at 27 thousand km/h, the clocks on board have to be built differently to those on earth because the clocks on earth run slightly slower than the clocks orbitting the earth at 27 thousand km/h.
If the clocks aboard space stations were identical to those on earth, they would end of running slightly faster over time.

Essentially astronauts are earth's time travellers by about a fraction of a second.

Here's something i thought might seem interesting, an idea i thought up.
If our galaxy is travelling at a certain speed, and we are moving around that galaxy at a certain speed, and the earth is rotating with us on it at a certain speed, do these factors mean that OUR time is created by those factors. For example, if the galaxy and us stopped moving through time and space altogether, would time grind to a halt?
Or if our galaxy as a whole decided to half it's speed away from the centre of the universe, would time elapse at half the speed it does currently on earth.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by Mr Zeropoint]

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join