It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eyjafjallajökull Caldera Eruption

page: 72
<< 69  70  71    73  74  75 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Ash cloud heading towards UK and Europe again. More airspace restrictions expected.

Daily Telegraph

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Major event occurred yesterday - surprised you all didn't see it...

it was...

MY BIRTHDAY

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Happy birthday for yesterday.......but wait ...im in the uk, doesnt that make it your birthday today?

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Sure does - and as I was born in the UK I guess I can have two

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
If you have two birthdays then you age twice a year!

Now its getting dark the lightning within the ash cloud is getting easier to see, gonna be an active night me thinks.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Happy Birthday, twice!

Does look like an interesting night. I called it up on thermal. Sorry to be dense, but what is the crosshair indicating?

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!
- Have a shot of Whiskey and smoke on me
-

Nothing other to report at the moment though - been in the garden for 14 hours
- stupid cold though - should have planted the veggies a week ago - i'm still just turning the garden - snow a few nights back - idk -

Hope it's not a forewarning for volcanic winter to come
that would stink.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Cheers peeps!!

Anmarie - just prepped all my veggie patches for winter - hoping to get some snow on the Alps overnight (first rain here today for ages) - we're overdue - local resort due to open in 4/5 weeks and it's bare! *clink* & *puff*

Eyja doesn't seem to have changed much in the last few days... she's having a nana nap

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   
happy birthday also...:-)

Hekla webicorder pretty black..
www.simnet.is...
there was an eq yesterday...

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Happy birthday friend. Sorry I missed it. Work is a pain at the moment. Not even time for any ATS!

Sorry I missed it.

I hope you enjoyed.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Happy birthday to you

Good morning to you all, here is the official report from 15 may:

Eruption in Eyjafjallajökull - Status Report: 15:00 GMT, 15 May 2010
Icelandic Meteorological Office and Institute of Earth Sciences, University of Iceland

Compiled by: Steinunn S. Jakobsdóttir, Sigrún Hreinsdóttir.

Based on: IMO seismic monitoring; IES-IMO GPS monitoring; IMO hydrological data; IMO weather radar measurements, web cameras, ATDnet – UK Met. Offices lightning detection system, NOAA satellite images and web-based ash reports from the public.

Eruption plume:
Height (a.s.l.): Mainly ~ 6 - 7 km / 21,000 - 24,000 ft, occationally reaching 8 km / 27,000 ft.
Heading: Southwest and later south.
Colour: Grey.
Tephra fallout: Ashfall reported south of Eyjafjallajökull and ashdrift southeast of Eyjafjallajökull.
Lightning: Some 30 lightning strikes were recorded on the ATDnet during the last 24 hours.
Noises: No reports.

Meltwater:
Low water discharge at Gígjökull.

Conditions at eruption site:
No flight observations, but according to web cameras and instruments there are no major changes.

Seismic tremor:
Similar to previous week.

Earthquakes:
An earthquake swarm started beneath Eyjafjallajökull just before midnight. In the period between 23:54 and 02:45, more than thirty earthquakes were located at depth greater than 20 km and magnitude less than Ml 2. A few more earthquakes were detected until morning.

GPS deformation:
Horizontal displacements towards the center of Eyjafjallajökull volcano and subsidence. Some irregular movements are seen in the height of the stations closest to the volcano.

Overall assessment:
No major changes are seen in the activity, the ash cloud is slightly higher than yesterday. Presently there are no indications that the eruption is about to end.

www2.norvol.hi.is...

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Happy birthday mate!

Edit: Just checked out the Hekla link above, lots of tremors earlier - I wonder if that is significant? I think its anyones guess as to wether Katla will eventually erupt or perhaps one of the others also // instead! don't forget Laki is in there too!

[edit on 16-5-2010 by Temperature Drop]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Temperature Drop

I need some help here.
Just a quick question with hopefully a quick reply?
Right, correct me if im wrong but on the thermal image, yellow IS hot right? Or am i totally wrong here?
Because if yellow-white is hotter, then why is the land infront showing much higher temperatures than the actual plume?
eldgos.mila.is...

I have noticed over the last few days the ice in the valley melting and also steam coming from the ground.
Today however in the bottom left of the volcano a hot spot has moved from left to right?
Am i right Yellow hot?

If i am right, is this common ? Surely that would mean the magma/lava was very close to the surface?
Also, is moisture in the ground capable of been evaporated to an extent when it turns back from vapour to liquid upon reching the surface? and cause small streams?

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

If you look daily at the thermal cam, comparing early morning to later afternoon / evening, then you'll see the morning images show a lot cooler with darker colours.
What I think is happening is that the sunlight is heating up the rocky foreground sufficiently to give the brighter colours on the images, then cooling off again slowly after sunset.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

Well how is it that the crosshair on the thermal camera is focusing on the ground thats infront of the volcano? Surely the crosshairs that locate the hottest temperatures would be where the plume is? I cant see the sunlight increasing the temperatures that much

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

There is a lot of cooler low cloud between the cam and the caldera, which effectively masks the heat at that range, therefore the cam will pick up nearer warmer sources. Same as if I ran around a bit to work up a sweat, then stripped off and stood in front of the camera, it would pick me up as the warmest source.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

Sorry but im not convinced at all here. I think that if the thermal is correct then maybe a wider area needs watched

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I live in Iceland and I am seriously considering moving abroad should predictions of more frequent volcanic eruptions come true.

As if worrying about Katla, Laki, Grimsvötn, Hekla and Eldgja wasnt enought now scientists are warning that Icelandis LARGEST volcano Bardarbunga is showing signs of waking up. It hasnts done so in thousands of years. The main caldera that is but eruptions in the vicinity of the volcano have taken place and are linked to the Bardarbunga syste. Its eruption about 8000 years ago produced the largest holocene lava on the EARTH and put the Laki and Eldgja eruption to shame.

The Bardarbunga caldera us under ice like Katla. The Katla caldera is 10 km in diameter and covered with 500 m of ice on average. The Bardarbunga caldera is 12 km in diameter and the caldera is about 700 m deep.

Series of large earthquakes have been occuring straight under the Bardarbunga caldera since 1996. This year 2 quakes bigger than magnitude 4 have been measured.

The Bardarbunga caldera can be clearly seen in a picture in this link under ice:
rses.anu.edu.au...

www.volcanolive.com...

[edit on 16-5-2010 by Gassinc]

[edit on 16-5-2010 by Gassinc]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Gassinc

thank u for the info...
would that suggest that the hotspot under iceland is overheated?

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I've started watching the cam off and on for about a week now. I just went to check it and see this...? Where is the volcano? And why is everything red and orange in the thermal cam? Anyone have any ideas or reports?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5ab871a52c5b.png[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dc560efa7fd0.png[/atsimg]

new topics

top topics

<< 69  70  71    73  74  75 >>

join