It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eyjafjallajökull Caldera Eruption

page: 51
<< 48  49  50    52  53  54 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
nothing of interest but

There's a thin white cloud directly in the centre of the katla cam hugging the floor, it's coming from roughly the same spot and it's been there for over an hour, gets thicker then thinner etc, it's strange i hate the katla cam it's #ing #, i wish they had chose a better position so i can at least distinquish cloud's from volcanic smoke.

Anyway, thought it might be worth checking out

19 earthquakes at eyja, nasty stuff, those pictures are excellent and vodaphone looks great.

Regards x

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
There definately has been a major change in the mountain. I thought there was a massive landslide, but it looks as though the meltwater has carved a large sunken bowl. The steep face is still there, and the meltwater is not flowing over the face, but is undermining it as the melt carves channels through the spillway. It now appears as if there is a pool of melt which is being held back by a dam. I don't think it will be long before this dam collapses and we have a major landslide. Some of the recent earthquakes may have been from the collaspe cause by the glacial run. It doesn't even look like the same mountian. It awfully fun to watch the earth changing at such a fantastic rate.

Here's to hoping for clear skies.

EDIT

Incredible action happening right now. Hope someone with more computer savy than myself is catching all this. There will be an outburst soon. You can see the steam running down the trench. The dam face is crumbling at the top. Any time now it will collapse and there will be a massive lahar. Sorry. It's the anticipation. There's no way the dam can hold back the meltwater much longer. It must be like swiss cheese from all the channels carved through it. I'm just guessing, but I think it will fall in four hours. I don't think the dam will survive the day.

And if you have a webcam open, don't close it because you'll have difficulty connecting again. There must be a huge demand on the site now that skies have cleared and the since the view is spectacular.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Robin Marks]

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Robin Marks]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
2 more earthquakes

21 total today

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I have been watching the Poro cam today. I seems that, over a period of a few hours, the water level below the glacier has dropped significally. Has anyone else noticed this? And if I am seeing that correctly, what would it mean?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

Here you go Robin. This is a current screen shot from This camera.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Brandyfro

wat could melt is melted ?

pity.. wind direction has chanced....:-(

[edit on 4-5-2010 by ressiv]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Brandyfro

Just before the clouds started rolling back in, it seemed to me that:

1. There was a new vent to the right (I marked it on the pic)
2. The steam coming from the vent down the center was starting to turn
brown a little above the center.
3. The water flow HAS definately decreased
5. Seismic activity has increased, while tremors are declining today after
a spike, as seen here
6. The whole side of the mountain has 'sunk' as Robin described it.
7. Increased ash output these past 12-24 hours
8. Scientists claiming to become ill from gas releases

What does this all mean? *shrug* I am not a volcanologist but it seems to me that with the increased seismic activity and output and sharp tremors yesterday with the drop today coinciding with the seismic increase (I'm thinking outloud here so bare with me)....perhaps the magma movement to the surface has slowed, increasing the pressure which creates the seismic activity? Would this then lead to a more explosive release?

[edit on 4-5-2010 by westcoast]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

not so bad idee...if the top has collapsed a bit that could mean that the pressure can build up... think Eyja has an hat-trick in mind...

could mean that flights in europe can be stalling again... we have north winds in holland now... Eyja north west...

PS only cam with clear sight :
eldgos.mila.is...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
and another 3 EQ's are counted...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Quite a show today. Like you all, I keep expecting that section just under the steam vent to collapse, look dramatic for a second, and then make us wait a half an hour for the steam to clear to see what happened.

Apparently the last quake or two were very deep. What lurks in the depths? Can't wait to find out. (Provided this remains entertaining and not terribly dangerous.)

Edited to add: can anyone post a link for earthquake data? USGS doesn't post them because they aren't big enough.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by quakewatcher]

never mind, answered my own question. Earthquake list for Iceland:
hraun.vedur.is...

[edit on 4-5-2010 by quakewatcher]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by quakewatcher

anotherone special for Eyja and katla..

en.vedur.is...=table

you have table and map...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
who can restart the poro-cam HP computer? or at least click away the pop-ups lol

EDIT: to say thank you

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Dumbass]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Dumbass

after 8 there appears an N in poro you mean??? hihi

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Is it just me, or does the rockface look like a face. In fact it looks like a Hawaiian tiki god. Feel free to post an image you think it best looks like. There is still lots of meltwater. It's steaming away just on the other side of the dam. I can't pull myself away because I know that's the moment it will let go. I don't think it's a matter of if the dam breaks but when. As I finished that sentence the clouds have come back. Drat.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

I love your pictures, there very well detailed

Looks amazing, thanks again mother nature.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

LOL I have been thinking for some time that it looks somewhat like a skull, although less now due to the collapse, but the lower jaw is still there..... LOL

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Robin Marks
Is it just me, or does the rockface look like a face. In fact it looks like a Hawaiian tiki god. Feel free to post an image you think it best looks like. There is still lots of meltwater. It's steaming away just on the other side of the dam. I can't pull myself away because I know that's the moment it will let go. I don't think it's a matter of if the dam breaks but when. As I finished that sentence the clouds have come back. Drat.

Robin, check out my thread here: Iceland's God of thunder in volcano? You might get a kick out of it!

Here is the pic that goes with the thread:

[edit on 4-5-2010 by westcoast]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

That is an amazing picture westcoast!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
i love the cat in the pic you posted westcoast... right under in the white dot...crawling to the eruption...
btw EQ 25 is an fact,,,
Tuesday
04.05.2010 20:40:04 63.631 -19.644 9.0 km 2.1 90.05 9.5 km WSW of Básar

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

One word AMAZING! Brilliant picture westcost

new topics

top topics

<< 48  49  50    52  53  54 >>

join