It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eyjafjallajökull Caldera Eruption

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Latest news is that all flights through UK airspace will be suspended between 12.00 and 18.00 today. Remains to be seen where and when these will actually resume - further disruption likely if the eruption continues.

I'm assuming similar will apply across much of Scandinavia and other parts of NW Europe. First time this has happened in a long time!

Volcanic dust - tiny particles of glass and rock - is deadly to jet engines and can (and has) cause total engine failure.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
How bad will this be?

Obviously flights are cancelled but I'm pretty sure the ash is dangerous to humans too.

It's not so bad that we'll have to stay indoors or something is it?

Or does nobody really know at this point?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

No danger to us at present
Just a chance of some spectacular sunsets and other optical phenomena and, should it rain, finding a lot of dirt on our cars etc afterwards (though apart from Scotland, no rain expected in Britain for the next week).

Mind, there have been reports of sulphurous smells from the Shetlands, which is currently right under the plume.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Originally posted by prevenge
reply to post by MoorfNZ

That's mrs down under

No worries down here, no. The small swarm around the Gisborne area is being watched as a bit of activity there but nothing to be alarmed about. We get thousands of quakes a year here.

I think you're thinking of the Napier quake in 1931 - it was New Zealand's deadliest and was a 7.8.

So, as usual, the vibe here in Godzone is pretty chilled

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
20th Century-Fox secure movie rights to UK’s first volcano disaster

newsarse.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
One thing I didn't know was that even during 9/11 there was still some domestic flights operating within the UK Airspace, the restrictions were flights into/out of the Atlantic Transit routes.

Today the entire UK Airspace network is closed entirely, nothing (aside from lower-level VFR flights with clearance) is permitted to fly into/around/out of the UK.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Breaking news!

mbl.is...

Authorities advise everyone here in Iceland to wear dust masks and have started distributing them at hospitals and other health care facilities free of charge.

I am 99% certain authorities have never done anything of this sort here in Iceland.

ADD: mbl.is...
Ashfall, this scientist describes the ash-cloud is incredibly dark and when you're in it its like it's the middle of the night, it's so dark.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by Rev.Fenrir]

ADD2: visir.is...
more pics of the ashfall. Authorities also warn of lightings in and around the ash clouds.

visir.is...
Story on the effects on flights in Europe. A good explanatory picture in this one

[edit on 15-4-2010 by Rev.Fenrir]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
My thoughts are with the people of Iceland. I hope you all stay safe!
But on the other hand,i have to say what a fascinating and exciting situation this eruption has caused! I am almost naively waiting for huge flakes of volcanic ash to start falling in my garden!

I hope we all have our cameras ready,cos we are gonna get an awesome sunset tonight!

Stay safe Iceland!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Has any one noticed that the web cam is down for maintenance???

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
yeh i noticed that a while ago, maybe it got melted lol

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Zeropoint

Now that would be a cool video to watch!!!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
So can someone please put it all into simple, patronising terms for panicky paranoid selfish old me?

So, when this one blows, the other one will almost definitely blow, right?

And if that happens, Europe is pretty much screwed? Or am I being silly? Just kind of freaks me out, the other day I was reading a thread from someone in the UK saying that someone she's related to is a Dr and he had an emergency meeting at work to be fitted for a gas mask...and now talks of poisonous gasses etc...I want my mum

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by MoorfNZ
20th Century-Fox secure movie rights to UK’s first volcano disaster

newsarse.com...

Excellent

Meanwhile, latest update:

The UK has closed all its airspace until at least 0600 BST FRIDAY. If you were due to fly out, contact your airline. Don't go to the airport. The republic of Ireland has closed its airspace too. They have now joined by Belgium, Denmark, Norway, Sweden. The duration of these closures is all dependent on where the volcanic ash cloud drifts. There has been a partial closure of the airspace in the Netherlands. Germany and France are monitoring the prevailing weather conditions and are considering their options as more accurate forecast data becomes available.

Live updates from BBC: news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Katieeeee

I don't think it'll be that bad, if only 10,000 died the last time around, given there diet and lack of medical facilities etc.. I am sure it's not pleasant, but at least you'll be able to break wind without anyone looking at you strange

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Katieeeee

Gas mask will do you no good. Your looking at a cloud of sulfur dioxide. Pretty nasty stuff. You will need an enclosed breathing apparatus. IE: oxygen tanks. But I wouldn’t panic just yet. Nothing like that is in cretin to happen. We will just have to wait and see.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Katieeeee
So can someone please put it all into simple, patronising terms for panicky paranoid selfish old me?

So, when this one blows, the other one will almost definitely blow, right?

Not necessarily, However, on previous occasions when this has erupted it has indeed led to Katla erupting. So I guess the money is on that happening again.

And if that happens, Europe is pretty much screwed?

As far as a decent summer goes, probably yes. A big eruption would spread volcanic ash across much of Europe, leading to a noticeable cooling. No BBQs this year!

There have been cases of people dying from fumes in the past, but today we'd have enough warning and be able to stay indoors until the risk had passed - which would not be too long (maybe a day or so at most). In the past, no-one knew the danger until they started dropping dead in the fields .... However, it makes sense for medical and other emergency personnel to be prepared for the worst case scenario.

Worth noting that sulphurous smells have been reported now from Aberdeen as well as the Shetlands. However this will not harm anyone.

There could be long term disruption to UK, European and transatlantic flights - which may well cause major problems.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I believe Katla last time had a 2 year delay before it erupted, (after Eyja)
So... 2012 lol coincedence

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Got baby sitting on my knee and his smell very eggy today! By "his" I MIGHT mean mine....

So what exactly would happen if/when the other volcano erupts?

[edit on 15-4-2010 by Katieeeee]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I know someone who is 20 miles from Heathrow airport, he doesn't see a spec of ash in the sky....

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
is there any page we can obtain seismic data from the 2nd volcano????
p/d dutch airspace cloced today at 19.00 houres

[edit on 15-4-2010 by ressiv]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join