It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eyjafjallajökull Caldera Eruption

page: 46
<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
another vent, real small

see it?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I'm wondering if we'll see a big (make that gigantic) piece of the glacier break away soon - the new vent is in an area that looks fractured - almost as if it could slip/break off... you see what I mean?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by berkeleygal
another vent, real small

see it?

Other than the one in my piccy? Where in relation?

Nidwin - sure is fascinating - the birth of a vent and the death of a glacier.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Ahh, can now see another vent below the other new vent lol if that makes any sense....

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
jeez, took me long enuff, pc is sweating

new small vent in circle

and , its just my imagination but the arrows are pointing to two ice dragon heads guarding the glacier

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Yep, that's the one I posted on previous page - there's a new one also - I'll see if I can capture it.

I couldn't as it's hard to see unless you see its movement.

I've highlighted the area below - it's the lowest of the two circles..

[edit on 2-5-2010 by MoorfNZ]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

I see the newest baby, its even lower down

ooooo me thinks we are in for an awesome avalanch

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

I've marked it on pic, above, is it the same one you're seeing as they seem to be popping up all over the place!

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I think this entire area (highlighted) will slip soon.. or at the very least a burst of the glacier en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 2-5-2010 by MoorfNZ]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

yep, that would be the one.

I'm so happy the cloud god is being nice to us today

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Yes, great viewing weather!

Notice the meltwater is steaming again now and appear to come out of the crevice and not the old mouth which still appears to be blocked or dry

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Well, I know what I'm doing tonight while working..

Hello all, just another watcher here..

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
ahhh very nice,, been a couple days since I could catch the cam. Very impressive right now and fun to watch. Has the steam been going out of that part for awhile now? Last time I looked it was just out of the mouth part...

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
The large area I highlighted above is definitely changing in appearance... don't you think? Not long now I don't think!

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
You guys missed the show last night, it was fanatastic, it's slowed down significantly today, I was up till 3 watching this lol!

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Official report from 1may:

Eruption in Eyjafjallajökull - Status Report: 18:00 GMT, 1 May 2010
Icelandic Meteorological Office and Institute of Earth Sciences, University of Iceland
Compiled by: MJR / HB / FS / SSJ / BO

Based on: IMO seismic monitoring; IES-IMO GPS monitoring; IMO hydrological data; web cameras of the eruption site from Vodafone, Mila, and Múlakot; IMO weather radar measurements; information from scientists at Gígjökull; aerial observations from two scientific overflights: TF-SIF (10:30–11:00 GMT) and Eagle Air (16:40–17:15 GMT).

Eruption plume:
Height (a.s.l.): TF-SIF observations at 10:30 GMT confirmed an ash plume rising to 4–5.4 km (13–18,000 ft) near to Eyjafjallajökull. Clouds of ash at lower elevations observed drifting south-east of the eruption site. No verifiable detections from the weather radar at Keflavík Airport.
Heading: South-east from the eruption site. Plume track detected up to 400 km from the eruption site on AHRR and MODIS satellite imagery (12:11 GMT and 13:30 GMT).
Colour: Dark grey (ash) clouds observed up to 4 km a..s.l. (~13,000 ft). White (steam) plumes rising from Gígjökull, north of the eruption site.
Tephra fallout: Dark, coarser-grained ash-fall reported at Ytri Sólheimar (11:00 GMT), located 22 km south-east of Eyjafjallajökull.
Lightning: No detections today over the eruption site (18:00 GMT).
Noises: Booming sounds reported in the vicinity of Eyjafjallajökull.
Additional note: Plumes of white steam extend partway down Gígjökull. The uppermost plume represents the position of the northward-flowing lava flow, whereas the lower plumes are from hot meltwater.

Meltwater:
Discharge remains high from Gígjökull due to lava-ice interactions. Aerial observations of Gígjökull show that warm meltwater has carved a trench partway down the glacier. The electrical conductivity of Krossá and Steinholtsá remains high (see reports from 28–30 April for details).

Conditions at eruption site:
A 200-m-wide eruptive crater is visible within the ice cauldron. The rim of the crater appears to be ~30 m lower than the adjacent ice surface. Lava has propagated ~1 km north from the crater toward Gígjökull. Although steam is forming over the lava front, no large emissions of steam originate from the eruptive crater.

Seismic tremor:
Intensity comparable to the preceding eight days of eruptive activity.

Earthquakes:
No locatable seismicity detected beneath Eyjafjallajökull.

GPS deformation:
Horizontal displacement towards the centre of the volcano, in addition to vertical subsidence. These observations are consistent with deflation of a magma reservoir beneath Eyjafjallajökull.

Magma flow:
No measurements possible today.

Other remarks:
No measurable geophysical changes within the Katla volcano.

Overall assessment:
Plume elevations and magma discharge levels remain similar to the preceding eight days of activity. Lava continues to flow north from the eruption site and down the Gígjökull glacier. Today's explosive activity and ash production represents a fraction of conditions during the height of the eruption (14–17 April). Presently, there are no measurable indications that the eruption is about to end.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
60 Minutes crew visits Iceland volcano

A team from the world famous American current affairs programme, 60 Minutes is currently in Iceland. Read the full story

www.icenews.is...

Maybe i go on vacation this year in Ice land, than i can see it with my own eyes.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Im a new "watcher"...damn does it erupt like that all the time!?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Shant

Hello Shant, no she's is some wilder today. She was very quit fot a couple days. I hope you enjoy the show. There are very nice people here to watch with you. Have some fun here!!!!

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
New area t6 watch. This vent has been increasing in activity over last hour - and getting bigger.. more steam.

new topics

top topics

<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join