It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eyjafjallajökull Caldera Eruption

page: 45
<< 42  43  44    46  47  48 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
For those that don't read the Eruptions blog, here's an interesting link and observation by a contributor, Fireman

From my watching tonight I have prepared an image showing the three glowing areas seen by myself and others, and the corresponding feature by semi-daylight; circled in red in this self-explanatory image:

www.corestore.org...

There seems to be no shortage of lava, and it's progressed further under the glacier than I had suspected.

scienceblogs.com...

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Can anyone get a good view of the mouth where the meltwater has been coming out at the bottom - I can't see it anymore
has it clogged, has it moved?

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

you go girl - perfect
- so, we are looking at steam and new eruption of ash - great shot! - Thank You!

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Check out these amazing shots - they were taken just 3 hours ago by a photographer (who also hangs out on the Eruptions blog)

Amazing and a great overview of what is now occurring ...

www.flickr.com...@N08/show/with/4570132526/

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by MoorfNZ
Can anyone get a good view of the mouth where the meltwater has been coming out at the bottom - I can't see it anymore
has it clogged, has it moved?

vodafone is a good view but it is still too early, still a little dark, but you can see the bottom of the glacier

i will take a shot when it gets lighter

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Ohhh it's gorgeous isn't it! I am so obsessed with this damn eruption - gives me goosebumps and gets the adrenaline going!

Berkeleygal - I think you ought to be named the Eyja thread official head of screenshots - you always provide great and timely images

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Yep, it's the Voda cam I'm monitoring for the mouth - hopefully view will improve - you can usually see the flow quite clearly. Wonder if it's found another route or whether it's turning much more of it to steam than before...

In fact, having just had another good look, the striations or layers seem to indicate that nothing is coming from the mouth now and it's coming from the crevice to the right and still coming down in that wee white waterfall that began a few days back.

Does anyone have an image or link to what the geology below the glacier is? This will give us a clue as to how this might progress if we can see the rock formations along the edges and below the ice.

[edit on 1-5-2010 by MoorfNZ]

[edit on 1-5-2010 by MoorfNZ]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I feel I'm talking to myself (I'll blame it on the meds)! Anyway - have a look at the snow adjacent/surrounding the lower-most steam vent on the glacier - the patch to the SSW is changing in texture - I wonder if we're due a cave in? The water's exit is blocked at the mouth of the glacier at the bottom so perhaps something is building up ?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
eldgos.mila.is...

New vents, lots of steam and activity..

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Oilbourse2006

That'll be what we've been discussing the last two pages

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
On Poro we can clearly see it's venting through 3 may be four new places.
As was mentioned by someone it looks like a fissure, could see a straight line, with 3 or 4 holes. For the moment it looks like a lot of ice is melting.
Would be interresting to see if these new "vents" are going to merge.

Nid

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
two white and a 3rd Black vent just started.

will this mean more Ash for europe?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by puzzled2

Not for the moment.
The new vents are mainly steam from melted ice.
Also the "main" vent erupting magma is still too low to have a real ash impact on Europe.

My thoughts of course and it could change coming hours or during the day

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Nidwin

I think they have already merged to a certain extent. A few days back you could track the flow of lava via a small steam trail - that has obviously grown immensely and it's one big line of lava flowing down.

Initially there were about 3 "vents" or small meltwater craters - these have now been consumed and eroded away by the now increased flow.

The question now is, where is it going under the ice? The meltwater flow at the base of the glacier is no longer flowing - perhaps blocked? Or perhaps it's flowing elsewhere. If blocked we could see some significant flooding again soon - on the scale of the first meltwater event we saw when the lava entered the meltwater vents.

My bet is it will next flow/vent to the SW of the lowest current vent - pure speculation - no scientific basis - gut feel

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Nidwin

I agree - more steam than ash and all low level. Mind you - this lady changes her mood as often as I change my mind - which is a lot - so you never now what might happen next - that's what I love about Mother Nature - she has a mind of her own

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Definitely water movement now on voda.

I am going to have to drink some 5 hour energy

should go to bed, afraid I will miss something

ack, do I see another steam vent coming up just down the incline?

[edit on 2-5-2010 by berkeleygal]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by MoorfNZ
reply to post by Nidwin

My bet is it will next flow/vent to the SW of the lowest current vent - pure speculation - no scientific basis - gut feel

I was right! Here it goes....!!

There's also a new steam vent a way down below the lowest big steam vent - look closely. Things sure are on the move - and there's more meltwater coming out at base!!

[edit on 2-5-2010 by MoorfNZ]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
yeah I am watching that now, watching the new steam vents appear lower and lower.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
New plume forming....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6dc3b4ff0075.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Birth of a new steam vent live.

Sorry, but it's so "fascinating"

new topics

top topics

<< 42  43  44    46  47  48 >>

join