It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eyjafjallajökull Caldera Eruption

page: 43
<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I shall mis it to,we have Queensday here and that means PARTY!!!! The Vodafone webcam is again offline (software Trouble)

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Rren

Seems as if you have not been answered.

I am positive that is the Valahnuk cam. 63°40'55.94"N, 19°31'45.63"W

Originally posted by MoorfNZ

The lava has nearly reached the end of the glacier I believe so that is what all the steam is about.

I think we all realised that - and to watch it from its ingress at the top to the massive outpouring at the bottom as it happened was amazing

Sorry, there seemed to be many maybes so I was just confirming what I had found.

[edit on 30/4/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Yo!

Poro cam is half visible

and that water area below the glacier looks huge!

huger then usual. ya think?

eldgos.mila.is...

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by berkeleygal
Yo!

Poro cam is half visible

and that water area below the glacier looks huge!

huger then usual. ya think?

eldgos.mila.is...

yes it is bigger then usual , nice catch,

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
vodafone is up !

www.vodafone.is...

and here is sat view also with a static view

www.sat24.com...

hoping for some clearing later on

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I haven't checked the Katla cam for a couple of days. Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but WHERE IS ALL THE SNOW ON KATLA? How can this not be underground magma getting closer to the surface?

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Things are getting very steamy on the poro' cam at the minute, the vent is very visible.

This threads been unusually quiet today....are we catching up on some well deserved sleep?.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Catch_a_Fire

I've just been diagnosed with pneumonia after 2 weeks of flu
hence why I'm a bit quieter
plus the weather has been terrible so webcams not showing us what's going on

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

So i wish you the best, i have the flu to. But still here to watch over Iceland.

I saw yesterday evening that the water on the foot was rising a lot. and some steam to. I mis the show from here!!!!

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Eruption in Eyjafjallajökull - Status Report: 17:00 GMT, 30 April 2010
Icelandic Meteorological Office and Institute of Earth Sciences, University of Iceland
Compiled by: MJR / MTG / FS / GS / SSJ

Based on: IMO seismic monitoring; IES-IMO GPS monitoring; IMO hydrological data; web cameras of the eruption site from Vodafone, Mila, and Múlakot; IMO weather radar measurements; information from scientists at Gígjökull; and aerial observations from the Icelandic Coastguard (observation plane TF-SIF).

Eruption plume:
Height (a.s.l.): Detected by weather radar at 15:20 GMT at an elevation of 2.8 km over the eruption site. TF-SIF observations at 15:40 GMT confirmed a steam plume rising to 4.5–5.1 km (15–17,000 ft). Clouds of ash at lower elevations observed drifting south of the eruption site.
Heading: South and south-west from the eruption site, but probably remaining close to Eyjafjallajökull due to light winds.
Colour: White (steam) clouds at higher elevation; dark grey (ash) clouds seen intermittently at lower elevation (see above).
Tephra fallout: Dark, fine-grained ash-fall reported over a 10 km region south of Eyjafjallajökull between Núpur and Skógar.
Lightning: No detections today over the eruption site (17:00 GMT).
Noises: Booming sounds reported in the vicinity of Eyjafjallajökull.

Additional note: Plumes of white plume were noticed over Gígjökull (15:40 GMT); this steam probably represents the position of the northward-flowing lava flow.

Meltwater: Web-camera views show continued discharge of water from Gígjökull due to lava-ice interactions. At 05:00 GMT a flood was detected leaving the Gígjökull lake basin. The flood reached a maximum discharge about two hours later at the old bridge over Markarfljót, ~18 km downstream. The flood was comparable in size to yesterday's gauged flows. At 14:00 GMT, meltwater flow beneath the bridge was ~200 m3 s–1. Discharge from Gígjökull decreased during the afternoon. Steaming blocks of rock are being deposited in the Gígjökull basin; these blocks are probably solidified lava from eruption. The electrical conductivity of Krossá and Steinholtsá remains high (see reports from 28 and 29 April for details).

Conditions at eruption site:
Airborne radar surveys from TF-SIF show a well-formed crater. Lava is spreading northward from the crater toward the head of Gígjökull. Ice continues to be melted by the propagating lava front.

Seismic tremor: Intensity comparable to the preceding six days of eruptive activity.

Earthquakes: No locatable seismicity detected beneath Eyjafjallajökull.

GPS deformation: Horizontal displacement towards the centre of the volcano, in addition to vertical subsidence. These observations are consistent with deflation of a magma reservoir beneath Eyjafjallajökull.

Magma flow: No measurements possible today.

Other remarks: No measurable geophysical changes within the Katla volcano.

Overall assessment: Plume elevations and magma discharge levels remain similar to the preceding seven days of activity. Lava continues to flow north from the eruption site and down the Gígjökull glacier. Today's explosive activity and ash production represents a fraction of conditions during the height of the eruption (14–17 April). Presently, there are no measurable indications that the eruption is about to end.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Finally, some decent views.

On Vodafone cams you can see that where the initial water ingress occured up high on the glacier it is now constantly steaming and quite a large chasm.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Hope you both get well soon, your input is invaluable here.

I was watching the cams for ages yesterday that fissure seemed to liven up very quickly, are we to expect more from this?.....just when you think things are quietening down she belches a few out for you.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   

I believe we will see a big change in the right hand side of the glacier as I think the water route down is in that area. The water is still gushing out of the mouth at the bottom so there's still huge amounts of melting - there's also steam coming from the new crater. That would indicate a continuing flow of lava into that crater... so more glacier erosion.

Just my ramblings from observations btw!

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
A bit off topic i know, but i was watching the election saga on the bbc news channel and someone had wrote in quoting your signature (moorfNZ) pretty much to the word....i was just wondering if you'd made this up or had heard it elsewhere. If it was your own then i think we had an ATSer on bbc

[edit on 1/5/2010 by Catch_a_Fire]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Afraid not, I nicked it off someone on Twitter!

When are elections - been away too long to keep up with news in ol' Blighty.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Big dark ash plume visible on Voda cams now.. she's still going...

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   

When are elections - been away too long to keep up with news in ol' Blighty.

6th may got a feeling camerons got it, nothing would surprise me in this day and age though.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Iceland volcano rumbles on, life does too

The Iceland volcano erupting from Eyjafjallajokull is expected to cause ash fall in the southeast of Iceland today due to gentle north-westerly winds. Relatively small amounts of ash fell to the south of the volcano yesterday and Thursday, which temporarily stopped the farm clean-up operation.

www.icenews.is...-14559

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Global warming to blame for Iceland's volcano eruption?

Many people in Europe have somehow been affected by the eruption of the Eyjafjalla volcano in Iceland. Many got stuck in airports on their way home, or had to cancel holidays or business trips.

But some scientists are saying that people themselves may have a growing impact on volcanic eruptions.

www.rnw.nl...

And listen to the radio interview. It's al theoritic, but you never now?

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ni91ck

Well I think I have seen it all now. I did realise the Warmists were starting a fightback campaign because their carbon credit money is in jeopardy, but the way this was announced, with the "But Dr Hooper admits any theory on this topic is not yet conclusive" bit at the end, was just wrong.

OK so at the end of the headline "Global warming to blame for Iceland's volcano eruption?" there is a question mark, but they know darn well that the impact of the headline will stick in the minds of the more gullible.

I consider this to be fighting dirty. There is an element of truth in the fact that a melting icecap will relieve pressure on the volcano, that can not be denied, but the inference is that man has caused this - and that requires AGW to be proven.

I am afraid that so far with all the bent and fiddled data, that is far from being the case.

reply to post by MoorfNZ

Next Thursday.

reply to post by ni91ck

A link to that would have been good rather than a re-post.
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Been there, done that. It put me in hospital for a week. Get well soon.

[edit on 1/5/2010 by PuterMan]

new topics

<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join