It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eyjafjallajökull Caldera Eruption

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Great shots of the damage done to the glacier - thanks for finding/sharing

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Okay, first let me say that I am in no way implying that Katla is errupting. I want to share an observation. Some members have been talking about steam on This camera. I decided to look at it closely for awhile and THINK let me emphasize THINK that I do see what might be a small steam 'vent'. Now: the camera is titled Katla but I have no way of knowing if it is even aimed at it for sure. It is a volcano, so I would imagine it may not even be an uncommon occurance for it to do some venting. Mount Baker does it some times and it means nothing. I can't find any current seismic activity for it so there is no other indicator that it is getting ready to errupt. I just wanna share this screen shot, pointing to what I am referring to. I may just be seeing things!

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by zzombie

Awesome footage of the volcano you posted here. It would be so great if they can set up microphone near the volcano to record his "soundtrack".

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Watching closely... think it looks like a snow blow or something though..

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Yup, I'm looking at it a little more too. It seems to undulate, which is why I was thinking it wasn't just a rock with the sun shining on it. It could be a trick of the light though....the shadows thrown by the clouds passing overhead on a bright outcrop....I just wanted to point it out rationaly before someone gets too excited about it.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Plume sighting!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0ab918d76dbd.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Yep, still spitting its stuff.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Here are a couple of interesting shots. Taken only a few minutes apart, you can see where some of the cracks have widened or spread.

First shot:

Second picture showing change:

If you look at the live feed HERE, you'll see it's now even more pronounced.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Comparing your bottom shot, circled area, with the current cam and then against your first shot - there is a marked difference - assume it's more melting causing another break in glacier and water finding it's course downwards...

Using Ctrl+ to zoom in makes it easier to see, too

[edit on 21-4-2010 by MoorfNZ]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Ok.. my turn to play "did I see it or not?"...

In Westcoast's post with the images - see the two dark, round areas towards the top of the glacier... is there steam coming out of the top one? My live cam is streaming v. poorly and v. jumpy so can't tell if it's cloud, light play or an emission.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Westcoast - if you go to the Vodafone Picasa site and look at today's images - toggle between images number 23 and 24... that looks like a new flow I think?

I have gone back and forth and I don't "think" it's shadow ... could be wrong, but looks to me like more water flowing down./.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Icelandic volcano continues to quieten down!!!

www.icenews.is...-14278

Its better for the people there that they can go on with there life's

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Screen grab taken a few mins ago, correct me if I am wrong, but is it not also moving now down?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c432cbe73df0.png[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
The only thing I notice is more water flowing, It seems to have doubled in flow according to the live shot compared to westcoast's still pic.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
It definately looks as if it is shifting down also. And you're right about the waterflow....looks like it has picked up. First thought would be that the ice is slimping 'sliding' down the surface of the volcano. I hope so. The other possibility is that the pressure is pushing it up and will eventually explode outward (like what happened with Helen's).

Someone please correct me I am wrong. I believe that this type of volcano has the potential for this to happen. I haven't looked at the seismo plots for today yet...but are the HT continuing or increasing? The increased water flow indicates to me that perhaps more magma is coming to the surface? Ie., melting off more ice and perhaps deforming the ground above it, resulting in the surface changes we are seeing.

Okay....there it is. Fun to postulate. Hopefully nothing is increasing. She is obviously still unhappy....anyone can tell that by just looking at the live feed!

Edit to ADD:

Okay, I think I just found some evidence to back up my theory.. Go HERE

Click on today's date (21st). Go to the slide time stamped 12:10 and go forward a few slides. You can very clearly see a black cloud come out of the fissure rapidly followed by a rush of water!!

Edit to also add! I keep finding cool things on there. Go to time stamp 8:20 and as you go forward, watch the left side of the close-up fissure. You can see it falling in and widening Very cool.

[edit on 21-4-2010 by westcoast]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Might want to take a look Here

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anmarie96

Might want to take a look Here

Forgive my ignorance, but what has changed in this graph that indicates anything different is or might be happening? I have been looking at these graphs for the last 2 days, and they all seem to spike like this. Thanks ahead of time for clarification.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Kansas City

We are having major tremor in the Location of GOD - and also, Mid & HAU. Very sharp full increase.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
ty much for the clarification!

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
EDIT TO ADD: This may not even be Katla. Puterman thinks the Katla cam has been turned to look at Eyja...so ya, um...it's hot there.

Once again, two picture to compare. These are of Katla. The first one is from this morning, the second from a couple of minutes ago. In comparing the two, you can clearly see that while there was obviously some snowfall that covered the foreground...in the background there is marked, obvious melt and 'blackness'. Whatchya think?

(the red arrow was a small area I thought may have been some steam)

I'm not trying to say anything with this, only to point it out for speculation!

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join