It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eyjafjallajökull Caldera Eruption

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

oh nos run! It's the Mother ship!

Nice lenticular cloud building up there...

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Update on activity
Eruption in Eyjafjallajökull, Iceland

Meteorological

Monday 19th the eruption was still ongoing with the height of the plume 2-3,000 ft above the volcano, but the plume ascended to 20,000 ft above sealevel when it drifted southward. Later in the afternoon reports indicated maximum plume height around 15,000 ft with ash clearly visible in the clouds. Decreasing windspeed Monday evening will slow the advection of the plume. Southerly winds and rain on Tuesday evening.

On 17 April at least 115 lightning strikes were recorded in the vicinity of the eruption. On 18 April only 17 strikes were detected. Taking this activity as a measure of ash load in the plume, fewer fine-grained particles are being jetted into the atmosphere. At present, no lightning has occurred on 19 April; see: andvari.vedur.is...

If phreatomagmatic activity intensifies again and ash is ejected to elevations over 6 km (~20,000 ft) a.s.l., then a low-pressure system presently SE of Iceland will cause southward-tracking ash clouds to be deflected eastwards toward northern parts of the UK; see: www.metoffice.gov.uk...

Details on the composition and grain-size of the erupted tephra are available from the University of Iceland: www.earthice.hi.is...

Seismic

Volcanic tremor at a dominant frequency of 0.5 Hz remains continuous. Since ~11:00 GMT on 18 April, tremor levels have intensified beyond levels maintained since 16 April, as shown in the following real-time plot: hraun.vedur.is... We presently don't know the source mechanism behind the heightened low-frequency tremor, although presumably phreatomagmatic conditions still prevail at the eruption site.

Locatable seismicity since the beginning of the Eyjafjallajökull eruption can be seen here: hraun.vedur.is... The epicentres delineate an elongated zone of fracture orientated NNE-SSW. Few earthquakes have occurred beneath Eyjafjallajökull since the pre-eruptive swarm ended in the early hours of 14 April, as shown here: hraun.vedur.is...

Geodetic

Daily solutions from continuous, 15-s GPS stations around Eyjafjallajökull, operated in conjunction with the University of Iceland, show centimetre-scale horizontal movements toward the centre of the volcano, with some stations registering centimetre-scale vertical decreases too. An overview of GPS time-series from nine stations around Eyjafjallajökull is available here: notendur.hi.is...

Glaciological

During overflights on April 19th it was apparent that the ice cauldrons over the eruption site have coalesced to form a larger cauldron.
(See also www.earthice.hi.is...)

Following an initial period of glacial flooding on 14-15 April, relatively little water is draining from the northern flank of the ice cap. Significant ponding of meltwater at the eruption site doesn't seem to be occurring, as there seems to be a largely open pathway for drainage over and through the Gígjökull glacier.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Ahhh such beautiful images. Back in the office now (yay!) so I can finally catch up with everything.

hehehe mothership hehehe

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
view from Þórólfsfelli webcam

view from Valahnúk webcam

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Ugh, I don't have enough posts to tell you & Annmarie96 how to upload your screenshots via U2U! So sorry to anyone who already knows this but I hope the mods see I'm trying to be helpful _javascript:icon('
')

1. First, they have to be uploaded to your "My Pictures" section of "My ATS."

2 Go to "My ATS" and then click on "Member Tools" next to "U2U" & Click "My Pictures"

3. Click on the Album you want them uploaded to ('My Pictures' is the default)

3a) NOTE: Just make sure the image is smaller that 640 x 480 pixels. If you need help on how to figure that out let me know. I'm a graphic designer on the side.

4. Click Upload Photo on the right, select it from your hard drive & add info as indicated.

5. Then you step back to view your album, and click on the picture you JUST uploaded, and it gives you the following info on links:

- Use as ATS Avatar
- Use as your mini-profile background on ATS
- Embed on ATS

6. It's the third link, "Embed on ATS," that you then use to copy and paste into your replies

7. Preview your post b4 posting, and you can see if your image is too big or small.

8. Click submit, and you're done!

Again, let me know if you have more questions!

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Thanks for this update.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by IWant2Believe323

Thanks, got that bit - even managed to post a pic on the Volcano Watch thread - but I can't get them the size that means half is off the page

[edit on 20-4-2010 by MoorfNZ]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   

outstanding updates and links.
Seems apparent this may continue for some time. According to the NBC Nightly News there has been some increasing activity.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Eruption getting stronger.
The ashplume is getting higher and higher.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   
My little Eyja Cloud movie.

This took me a few hours to put together.

I love clouds, especially lenticulars

media.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Good morning!
Clearly you had a great show this night

No new news, eruption is about same but ash is shrinking because there is not so much explosions going on, just lava touching the ice on the glacier that is making the explosions now.

Keep you posted!

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Goodmorning to you all.

I found this video from today: http.ruv.straumar.is...

And todays news: Lava bombs the size of Jeeps”

www.icenews.is...

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Awesome

My Eyja Cloud movie
media.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
*I Love This Thread*

another good pic site- www.boston.com...

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

iceland's president talking about katla.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Check out this amazing Eruption video.

You can even see the shockwaves travelling through the plume.

Eruption Video.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Compulsionist

www.mbl.is... - the same video? I can't see the one you sent in..

www.thedailyshow.com... - hahahahahaah!!! nice one

[edit on 20-4-2010 by skjerulf]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
*I Love This Thread*

another good pic site- www.boston.com...

thank you tons

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
hekla cam check it out

www.ruv.is...

it's shaking up and down right now, earthquake it seems, it wasn't doing this earlier.

EDIT: also, check seismo
hraun.vedur.is...
sharp peak appeared at the time this camera started shaking.
what's going on ?

EDIT: Seem's it's stopped shaking, that's definetly clarified now that i can see it isn't shaking, that it WAS shaking, i swear this to you.

EDIT (again): Oh and WTF is that on the end of the GOD seizmo? hraun.vedur.is...

????????????????????, is that a harmonic tremor that everyones talking about?,

[edit on 20-4-2010 by Mr Zeropoint]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Zeropoint

Harmonic tremor is all the line up off the bottom of the charts! - as for the GOD you are looking at, I think - am almost positive that would just be a instrument malfunction.

new topics

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join