It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eyjafjallajökull Caldera Eruption

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Volcanic Ash Advisory maps of Ash/Aerosol drift in the next 2 days over Europe. I'm just within the Red box (the heaviest of the ash being at 20,000ft) so I won't be too surprised to find Volcanic Ash/Advisories for my area soon (if deemed necessary by the Met Office.)

I'll still be conducting a Ashfall experiment anyway using simple water, a pan and evaporation to see what Ash comes out the sky during any rainfall.

www.metoffice.gov.uk...

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I thought it was global warming melting the glaciers. Stupid me for not thinking it could be anything else.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

I am watching the bottom cam at:
eldgos.mila.is...

Does anyone else see the weird light spectrum's, almost northern light like in appearance, or is this some sort of lens anomaly with the cam?

It's not appearing constantly but so far I have seen two long periods of these weird light things.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by Cherryontop]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Its just the camera. Its fairly sensitive to subtle changes in light/contrast, and what looks like a dark grey day is actually quite bright when I saw the camera equalise itself out. Its just Sun Glare and a over-reactive lens.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Bit of a snow fall on Fimm... watching what was black landscape a minute ago turn grey.. white... and now back to black..nearly 3am, I should hit the sack

[edit on 14-4-2010 by MoorfNZ]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
This is fascinating being able to watch a live eruption.

Just how exactly does one pronounce the name of the thing though ?

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Discotech

AY-uh-full-ay-ho-ku

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

I guess from those maps it will be hitting Ireland as well maybe on the 16th

Interesting if nothing else

[edit on 14/4/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Check this out.

Amzing video of the eruption and flooding, a lot of water..

Video

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Compulsionist

Wow, great footage!

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Yikes, here's more footage....

http.ruv.straumar.is...

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by russ212
I thought it was global warming melting the glaciers. Stupid me for not thinking it could be anything else.

Beat me to it. Yup, I think they need to redo their research a little and find out just how much volcanic activity is melting the glaciers, I thing the finds'll be very surprising and prove man isn't the main cause for global warming. Not saying we're blameless but I think nature adds a lot herself.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
That footage is just...wow. Words kind of lose their meaning in a situation like this.

About the ashfall advisory, I did not really understand if it is a definite or not. Is it? If so, I think this weekend will be interesting where I live, eastern part of Norway.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I remember the Heimaey eruption on Vestmannaeyar in 1973...I worked at the local AFRTS studio in Keflavik and both I and my dad , who was the First Sergeant at Rockville, the local radar installation, headed there. He coordinated rescue and salvage activities...an entire fish factory was dismantled and loaded onto boats, and everything that could be saved, from toilets (WC´s) to bedroom doors were removed and loaded on boats. The island was shoveled out and reoccupied before the next Sjómannadagur (Seaman´s day). One thing I know for sure, Icelanders are hardy and quite prepared for this type of emergency. We here in the USA could take a lesson from them on disaster preparedness.

Compulsionist,

Bestu óskir mínar og bænir fara til þín og fjölskyldu þinnar, og allir aðrir snerti við þennan atburð.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Im originally from Keflavic, wonderful country, amazing people. Its a shame whats happening to them right now, but theyre standing up for all free humans.

The volcano is quiet amazing too when its not erupting...

Good luck you guys up there!

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
How big is this in comparison to normal volcanic activity in Iceland. Isn't Iceland always volcanically active?

I mean, how long has it been since there has been an eruption of this magnitude?

How much will it effect the whole Island?

It sounds like a major event.

Between the Earthquakes and the volcanoes, this whole 2012 thing is starting to look possible. Another poster reported Mt Etna erupting in Italy in the last few weeks.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
oh no maybe his brother hfsioyfgsdkfjsh will erupt soon ?

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Compulsionist
I got it from DVa news outlet in Reykjavik.
The picture was taken by the Coast guard and Im sure you will find updates at these links.

Here are the most notable news outlets.

MBL.is
DV
Eyjan

Just talked to a friend on the phone , he told me that there hasnt been an eruption there for 200 years and usually Katla follows.

Now THAT will NOT be nice....

Add : Apparently this eruption is about 10-20 times more powerful then the recent one. The "crack" is now about 2 km length. They are expecting a lot of flooding.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by Compulsionist]

Yeah the katla eruption in the 1700's I think cooled the entire northern
hemisphere enough that in winter the mississippi river froze all the
way to new orleans.

Something that has not been seen by those alive today.

Excerpt from paragraph 7

Iceland's Laki volcano erupted in 1783, freeing gases that turned into smog. The smog floated across the Jet Stream, changing weather patterns. Many died from gas poisoning in the British Isles. Crop production fell in western Europe. Famine spread. Some even linked the eruption, which helped fuel famine, to the French Revolution. Painters in the 18th century illustrated fiery sunsets in their works. The winter of 1784 was also one of the longest and coldest on record in North America. New England reported a record stretch of below-zero temperatures and New Jersey reported record snow accumulation. The Mississippi River also reportedly froze in New Orleans.

So I am willing to bet on a shorter growing season, and possible gas
poisoning in the UK.

Pretty nasty beast volcano there.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MoorfNZ
Potential for a phreatic eruption..

Volcanologist Haraldur Sigurdsson said there is a risk of a phreatic eruption in Eyjafjallajökull glacier in south Iceland, which occurs when magma makes contact with water. The crater at the glacier’s summit is filled with ice which is starting to melt.

www.icelandreview.com...

Hour by hour comments here: reykjavik.mydestinationinfo.com...

[edit on 14-4-2010 by MoorfNZ]

Some additional info on this type of eruption here, for those
very few who do not know about wikipedia or others like it.

Phreatic Eruption

I am willing to bet this is part of why the 1783 eruption of Katla
was so bad.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised if we are going to go through a magnetic pole reversal.

Volcanic activity is rising:

Earthquake frequency is rising:

Magnetic Field Intensity is at a minimum:

Dr Michio Kaku: Leaks Found in Earth's Magnetic Field. Solar storms in 2012 from the solar reversal could wipe out global communications.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join