It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquakes - Is This Normal?? Experts please

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Wanted to put this out there and have some of our resident experts check it out.

I was doing my regular glance at the USGS site today and noticed an abnormality.

The USGS page i normally visit, here, is showing an unusually high number of quakes right now.

It normally shows about 300 quakes on the page, right now the number is at 809!

So i tried to find out where they all were and found that 619 of them seem to be swarming around the San Andreas (i think) fault.

Check it out - USGS link

I'm not looking for responses who tell everyone to 'chill out' and stop being 'paranoid' bout these types of issues, what i am curious to is whether this frequency happens regularly. And let's be specific.

I have never noticed this before in my years of checking USGS.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by srsen]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
They are mostly aftershocks as a result of the large (7.7) quake in Baja.

At one point there were over 3,000 quakes showing on the USA map of the area (for one week's worth). Activity is dying down now.

There are a few threads on this already.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by MoorfNZ]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
It's ALWAYS normal all the time. Nothing to worry about mate nothing at all

carry on the discussion - I'm just posting here to tell you that there is absolutely nothing wrong

It's perfectly normal and it's just the way the earth acts. Yep it's as simple as that

Make your self a sandwich and enjoy mother natures...She's beautiful isn't she

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Thanks guys!

That is all i wanted to know

I have seen a few threads around talking bout this kind of thing, but the ones i saw were the more fear-based ones and people were a bit worried that worse is to come.

I understand that viewpoint, and who knows, perhaps worse IS to come, but i just wanted a non-fear based answer to the question in this thread i guess.

And wow - 3,000 quakes in a week! Over 400 a day! That's a lotta earth shakin.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by srsen
Thanks guys!

That is all i wanted to know

I have seen a few threads around talking bout this kind of thing, but the ones i saw were the more fear-based ones and people were a bit worried that worse is to come.

I understand that viewpoint, and who knows, perhaps worse IS to come, but i just wanted a non-fear based answer to the question in this thread i guess.

And wow - 3,000 quakes in a week! Over 400 a day! That's a lotta earth shakin.

It's natural...That's what the earth does. Or if you believe in haarp

Either haarp or the earth. Take your pick - No one even believes in haarp

So on a neutral side i just say it's natural

Now unless the united states of america openly admits exactly what they have to cause earthquakes...It's just a huge conspiracy theory in all it's glory lol

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Yea but these quakes were happening well before the 7.2 quake in Baha. I check it every day. The sheer number of earthquakes around the 'ring of fire' has increased massively lately. Normal, I don't think so. However, with the Cascadia Subduction zone from N. California to S. Canada sitting off-shore it could be predesessor quakes. That subduction zone gives about every 700 years and it is due to give sometime around now. I watched a documentary on the history channel or learning channel on it not long ago. To just blow it off, when it was happening before and afteter the 7.2 is a little too dismissive IMHO.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Normal? Sorry but i dont agree at all. Guess im just stuck in my ways. Earthquakes volcanic eruptions and lary weather? all following solar activity. Sorry but i dont buy the "normal" excuse anymore. I think that we are still kept in the dark regarding this too and also think that there is not enough focus on whats going outside our planet.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Last night, there was a report on NBC evening news about California earthquakes. Apparently, there has been a larger amount this year than last. I can't remember the numbers, but I think it was double so far (April) as opposed to the entire 2009 year.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Hmmm interesting guys - 2 sides to every coin i guess...

One thing i must add, I find this whole earthquakes being linked to solar activity very alluring.

I rely on my intuition quite heavily, and my gut is reacting to this concept.

It seems to be proven more than disproven, and numbers such as those Maybee just discussed would add to it.

Last year had very little solar activity.....

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
If you look at small windows of time you can find periods where the activity APPEARS to be higher than normal. But if you look at a longer period of time you'll see that things level-out. Sure there are peaks and valleys but overall activity is relatively normal. Now we're only a bit over 25% into 2010. We won't be able to say for sure if things have suddenly increased until the year progresses.

Check out this page at the USGS to see what I mean:

USGS EQ Stats

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by maybee
Last night, there was a report on NBC evening news about California earthquakes. Apparently, there has been a larger amount this year than last. I can't remember the numbers, but I think it was double so far (April) as opposed to the entire 2009 year.

ABC News reported that there are already more quakes in Cali this year than all of last year. IMO, I don't think that all these quakes are really normal, and yes, I've read all the arguments about it on all the other various threads on the subject.
I believe we are seeing the beginnings of things to come. I guess we will know as the months go on......

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by maybee

Yes, that is probably correct considering the area just had a quake with many aftershocks. But the problem is it is just one relatively small area. If you looked at an area that had a significant quake with many aftershocks last year, you may find that this area is having much less quakes this year. That is not justification to say that "earthquakes are decreasing", though. It just shows that, as always, there is a natural variation in events such as earthquakes.

I'm yet to be convinced that there is a significant increase in major earthquakes. Obviously there are many more quakes detected now than 100 years ago, as sensing technology improves in quality and quantity, so it is hard to make an accurate comparison. But it would be wise to always be aware of the possiblity of quakes, or any disaster, at least.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Text Purple

It's not just you, I live in Northern California and I think something is brewing. I check the USGS website often and today i noticed some activity in central California and in Nevada. A little strange After the one's in Nevada happened then the one's in Cali happened.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by moniquevas

well here is a link for you in the west earthquake.usgs.gov... Utah is active as well i thought is was just road work, oh well shake rattle and roll.

new topics

top topics

join