It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Awesome Drummers" Thread!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Hello all fans of awesome drumming!

In this thread, we will post awesome drummers in action.

Any genre is welcome, but my contributions will probably be just metal!

Please, don't only post a vid or link; try to elaborate and motivate your choice with a short presentation of your favorite drummer (and why you think he/she is so awesome).

If you are a drummer yourself; please tell us something about that too!

I'll begin with a presentation of myself as a drummer;

Started taking drum lessons as a kid (I must have been 9 or 10 years old then). I remember when I was much younger than that, I thought that the drummer was the one in the band who sweat the most, therefore he had to be the hardest at work, and therefore the coolest and thoughest one!
My grandmother wanted me to take accordion lessons, but that never happened...

Soon, my best buddy (who also took lessons) and I got a kit together; a black TAMA standard kit (rathter small) with only one cymbal; a Meinl crash (yeah, we used it as a ride as well... :shk: )
At the age of 13 (I think), I got my first drumkit; a white MAPEX Venus Series (nothing fancy), with a Sabian Studio crash, a Zildjian Scimitar Bronze ride (nice, heavy sound) and a Sabian Stage Hat (and as my buddy quit playing, I got the Meinl crash as well).
I had the kit set up in my room (I an appartment, to my neighbours great discomfort) in the same place for years on end, making the sunlight turn the kit 50% original white and 50% cream yellowish-white!
The line between the colours was almost prefect through the middle of the kit!

I kept taking lessons for 9 consecutive years, but I was a pretty lazy student. I could have become much better if I had only payed some attention instead of just goofing around...

I played in several bands throughout the years, both cover-bands and ones where we composed our own music (I'll see if I can upload some later). I've played some gigs (more than I can remeber) with the biggest one being in a mall (this must have been in '96 or '97) with the current band "Dead Lennons" (yeah, we mostly did Beatles covers). However, it was more likely that my bands had to pay for a gig rather than getting payed... But what the hell, I drum for the sake of the drumming!

My peak was back in 2004-2006, when I was in the band "Bed for the Dead" (now known as "Love it Loud"...bah! :shk: )
Here are two tracks from our (now: their) demo: Bed for the Dead There is much to be said about it, like both songs were recorded at too slow pace and me beating the skins too soft and yadda-yadda... Won't bore you with that.

After that, my talent (if I had any) started to falter, mostly because since I moved out of my parents place, the kit did not come along, making practice rare...

Now, that old MAPEX kit stands in my friend's parents basement, combined with some rotten old kit from the 60's, making it double in size!

I've begun playing again, struggling hard to master the double-pedal...

If I get to chose, I prefer to play stoner/grunge rock (like Kyuss) or thrash (like Megadeth).
But at the moment, I am playing some old school death- and black metal...

Keep the up noise!!!

(continued with my personal favourite drummers...)

[edit on 14-4-2010 by Raud]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
John Bonham is my personal favorite.

He pioneered the "huge" drum sound by holding back on cymbal hits, smacking the living hell out of the other drums and letting the compressor do it's thing.

Genius.

TheAssoc.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
My favourite drummers (in no specific order):

Drummer no. 1:
A Russian drummer of the highest class, known only as "Sloven" from the band Pagan Reign.
Not much is known about him, but it is said that he quit the band for medical school...
I hope he will turn up in some other group soon because a talent like his mustn't be wasted!
This man is a true pagan metal GOD of drumming!

You might not fancy this kind of metal (or metal of any sort) but listen to the drumming (the mixing on this record is crystal clear) at least.
Take extra notice of the last part of the song (at 6.00) as he hammers the ride bell with extreme accuracy!

Drummer no. 2:

From the vast forests of Finland comes elite drummer Kai Hahto.
He is known from numerous bands of different genres: Arthemesia, Cartilage (Fin), Enochian Crescent, Swallow the Sun, Vomiturition, Wings (Fin), Wintersun (these mentioned ones are the metal bands he played/plays in, but from his homepage you can see that he does other genres too).

My God he's fast!

However, his best band, according to me, is also the least known one; Vomiturition (split-up in '96). A totally underestimated and over-looked death metal masterpiece!!!

Drummer no. 3:

From Austria, I present to you the mysterious Thomas Tannenberger or T.T. from Abigor (also did session drums for Amestigon back in the day).
Note that his name brings to mind the historically significant location Tannnenberg where the Teutonic Order was defeated!

Now, the music of Abigor might not be enjoyed by anyone who doesn't like raw black metal, especially since their records suffer from extremely lo-fi mixing, but if you have patience and an open mind, listen to this extreme drummer at work.

Even though I know "steady beats" kept simple is what a "good" drummer boy should do; this guy rather plays "melodies" with his drumming! There is not a single moment when he isn't up to something!

This next track is even more so "brutal" than "Satan in Me" but the drum track is more clear (even though the album "Apokalypse" was recorded and mixed during a few hours!):

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Cozy Powell

Best of his generation

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Mick Fleetwood

I saw Fleetwood Mac's last ever UK gig - and Fleetwood played himself, literally, he had a suit covered in electronic drum pads. Absolutely fantastic - but here he is being more conventional...

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I also like drummers that go about their business without a care in the world.
Like Matte Modin (who I can't find a good solo clip of) from Defleshed, Raised Fist, Dark Funeral, Sportlov (and others). I saw him play with Dark Funeral back in '99 (I think) and though he sure was "blast-beatin'" like a bat outta hell, he just sat there totally relaxed, only arms and legs moving like a machine!

...or like this fella, known as Torturer
from Belphegor:

Look at that sucka! He's blasting the hell out of the drums like it's the most ordinary thing in the world!

Talking of human drum machines; I must mention Hellhammer (played in more bands than one could mention, the most famous one being Mayhem)

There is no stopping this maniac!!!

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
No mention of Neil Peart yet

Best drummer out there, come on. Writes good lyrics too.

The Professor

[edit on 14-4-2010 by Signals]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
BEST DRUMMER EVER!!!!
Rick Allen

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I don't like getting into "best ever" debates and thats clearly not what this thread is for, but I won't outright contest the nominee of neil peart
. I saw rush live a few years back and it was some of the most amazing drum work I'd ever seen. The solo in and of itself was a masterpiece. He gets up, lets his drum set rotate a bit then plays a different set of instruments. First part was standard drums, next part would be more percussion chimes and whatnot, and he finishes with what I believe to be an electronic set however its been awhile so I'm not sure the last part is accurate.

That said, I have someone to add to this thread who hasn't been mentioned yet. It doesn't surprise me that he hasn't been mentioned yet because he is fairly underrated which is most likely his brother eddie's fault.

Alex Vanhalen

Something about his style and set-up is just unique. Instead of using a double bass, he uses a floor bass and a floor tom which has a very distinct yet equally great effect when compared with a double bass.

Hot for teacher - van halen

Though this song is from the mid 80s, this has basically been his style since the mid 70's, so he might very well be one of several pioneers in the whole double foot pedal scene, but don't quote me on that. Van halen is my favorite band and once you can get passed the equally amazing guitar work, you'll see the excellence of their drummer.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Bill Bruford, here with King Crimson:

King Crimson - Indiscipline - (1981)

King Crimson - Indiscipline - (Nakano Sun Plaza, Tokyo, Japan, 5-6 October 1995)

Turn up the volume and play the whole thing loud!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I can't seem to embed the vids so I will just link them.
Dave Lombardo has always been a favourite of mine.
www.youtube.com...

I have to include this guy as well.
Daniel Adair.
www.youtube.com...

If anyone can embed these I would be thankful.
Youtubes new design is annoying me.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by DrumsRfun]

[edit on 15-4-2010 by DrumsRfun]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
If anyone can embed these I would be thankful.

No problem!

Dave Lombardo has always been a favourite of mine.

I have to include this guy as well.
Daniel Adair.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I thought I would add this one as well.
Sometimes you don't even need a drumset.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

To embed, just copy what appears after the "=" sign on the page's URL...

www.youtube.com...

Then insert RdwXr7wiD6Q in the YouTube video tab above the
icon-

(awesome vid BTW
)

[edit on 15-4-2010 by Signals]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Best one so far!

Are you sure that's all genuine?
If it is...it's simply amazing...