It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neil Armstrong: First moonwalker blasts Obama’s space plan(video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   

The first man to walk on the moon blasted President Barack Obama’s decision to cancel NASA’s back-to-the-moon program on Tuesday, saying that the move is “devastating” to America’s space effort.

Apollo 11 commander Neil Armstrong’s open letter was also signed by Apollo 17 commander Eugene Cernan, the last man to walk on the moon; and Apollo 13 commander Jim Lovell, who is marking the 40th anniversary of his famous lunar non-landing this week.

Source: www.msnbc.msn.com...

NBC actually did a nice video news report on the story (about 5 mins long): www.msnbc.msn.com...

In an open letter obtained by NBC's Jay Barbree, former astronauts Neil Armstrong, James Lovell and Eugene Cernan urge President Obama to reconsider what they warn would be "devastating" new policies for the future of NASA.

The actually open letter by Armstong, Lovell and Cernan: www.msnbc.msn.com...

Pretty powerful stuff. I hope they are able to convince Obama to stop messing with the program and that it is part of the solution-not the problem.

[edit on 4/13/2010 by anon72]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

While the President's plan envisages humans traveling away from Earth and perhaps toward Mars at some time in the future, the lack of developed rockets and spacecraft will assure that ability will not be available for many years.

Armstrong hasn't courted a lot of publicity in recent years so these points he raises must be important to him. I'm a person that takes a broader view of some things and has an eye on history. The recession will come and go...what we accomplish for science and humanity in general becomes part of a grander history.

We bail out banks and their unscrupulous managers. We pump billions into warfare and politics. Billions are spent each year on marketing to sway our spending habits. Black budgets swallows up...who knows? You see where I'm going here? Science has to go begging and subject to politics. Before folk turn this into an Obama issue...NASA budgets have been sliding for a long time...

Space exploration is a noble aim and should be celebrated.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

It's not about making it political just for the sake of making it political. You say "NASA budgets have been sliding for a long time", but Obama has actually increased the budget!!!

Obama increases the budget, but then cancels the goals and doesn't set any new ones. Let's put the blame where it is deserved, and that place is squarely on Obama's head. The facts don't have anything to do with him being a democrat or political spin.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by fieryjaguarpaw

but Obama has actually increased the budget!!!

Could you please put a source up that would confirm this statement. Not disputing you but I was looking around pretty good and didn't see that. I could be wrong.

Thanks.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I'm sure you could find a better article if you dig a little, but this is the first thing I came across with a quick search...

itn.co.uk...

Basicly Obama's 2010 budget proposal gives NASA a $6 billion budget increase over the next five years. Congress has not approved this budget yet, and many are upset about the budget calling for what many (including Neal Armstrong) see as the death of NASA's manned space flight program, so who knows if it will get approved as is or not.

This is the whole reason for him giving a pep rally for his non-plan on the 15th.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by fieryjaguarpaw

Thank you. I did find some stuff. This in particular. See, the problem is SO WHAT he is increasing the budget-he is still grounding the NASA progam for a long time to come-therefore making us fall behind (even further).

No Liftoff: Obama's Plan Grounds NASA

here's some good news: even in hard economic times, President Obama would actually increase NASA's budget — to more than $100 billion — over the next five years. But space junkies had better be satisfied with that positive development, because it's just about the only one.

Bolden filled his prepared remarks with all the usual promises to "blaze a new trail," answer a "bold challenge," "spur innovation" and, of course, inspire young people, the fact of the matter is that the new plans will keep America on the ground for most of the next decade or longer. And whenever U.S. astronauts finally do return to space, they won't be going very far.

Former NASA administrator Mike Griffin, who built the NASA-centric programs that were canceled on Monday, is, perhaps unsurprisingly, no fan of the new approach. "With this policy," he says, "the U.S. human space-flight program is grounded indefinitely, because no date for the availability of commercial human spaceflight can be reliably predicted."

Source: www.time.com...

This article is an excelent breakdown of the problem surrounding Obama's plans. And, it is TIME. Even they see the problem and they are pals of his.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
It will be announced tomorrow (Thursday) that the Constellation program will be partially re-instated. A bit of a back-down by the administration.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Kudos to Armstrong and his fellow astronauts for speaking their minds. Why should this nation settle for mediocrity in this day and age. Especially when our nation's Science and Technology wizard just announced that our nation can't expect to be number one any longer.

Why not?? Our public schools are a mess, the govt. won't let anyone fail and the message to our nation and its youth is Oh Well, don't expect to be number one forever.

Gimme a break!!

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Mrmerak

Anytime this POTUS admin backs down just means they are planning around way around the problem.

I see this story isn't getting much play in the MSM. Can't discredit Obama or have it appear anyone who is someone disagreeing with him.

So now goes the Space program on a southward trail.

2012 can't come soon enough.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
here's the problem as i see it.

nasa has no real concrete goals. they want to go back to the moon, go to mars, etc etc...but they don't know when and spend millions of dollars trying to figure out how with no real sense of achievement. their budget is crap. last year it was 17.3 billion. we spend what 200 billion a MONTH on war, if not more?

here's what needs to happen.

Nasa needs at least 50 billion a year. The very structure of nasa needs to be redone, less bureaucracy is good for any company. Goals need to be formed for each year. (i.e. this year we need to set our sights on designing engines for interplanetary travel. next year we need to design the structure of our exploratory ships) Nasa needs to start working with private companies to achieve their goals, design and implement new technology, and share the pool of talent our nation has but never acknowledges. Nasa needs to return to the moon, and with help from private american companies , build a permanent staging point for both resources and ease of travel from the moon to mars. Nasa also needs to start planning for manned mars mission, seriously.

rovers are nice and safe and all, but what we learn through them takes years. what we could learn from a week of human interaction on mars would surpass everything the rovers have learned through all these years.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I don't see Neil Armstrong speaking out a lot, but I'm glad he's doing so on this important issue.

We need to get our priorities straight and become a 2-planet species just in case one planet gets decimated by an impact like the one 65 million years ago that wiped out the dinosaurs.

We may be the first species to evolve on Earth that can prevent our own extinction and it would be a shame if we drag our feet and fail to do that.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

We may be the first species to evolve on Earth that can prevent our own extinction and it would be a shame if we drag our feet and fail to do that.

Great statement. I forget that sometimes. Thank you for the reminder-this is the real big picture-saving ourselves.

I don't think we can do that currently-like there is no feeling of Us against Them (earth vs whatever is out there etc)-no World unity/goal etc. Maybe if we were to be attacked by some alien race that would change.

As it is now, I see us hell-bent on killing ourselves.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
He's speaking out because although he never made it to the moon, he believed what they did would have emboldened future generations to actually do it. Knowing he might not see a real lunar landing in his lifetime would be devastating.

new topics

top topics

join