It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neb. governor signs landmark abortion bills

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   

LINCOLN, Neb. – Two landmark measures putting new restrictions on abortion became law in Nebraska on Tuesday, including one that critics say breaks with court precedent by changing the legal rationale for a ban on later-term abortions. Republican Gov. Dave Heineman signed both bills, one barring abortions at and after 20 weeks of pregnancy and the other requiring women to be screened before having abortions for mental health and other problems. Both sides of the abortion debate say the laws are firsts of their kind in the U.S.

news.yahoo.com...

Abortion is an extremely touchy and emotional issue...I do however think these are good bills. I do not live in Nebraska however, so this wouldn't effect me anyway...nor would I ever willingly have an abortion myself.

This will likely anger people on both sides...however I do feel this is a step in the right direction.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Wow. See, Im pro choice but where I tend to differ is on late term abortions. I dont like those. I think you've had enough time to figure things out. Now, if you develop a medical problem, then do what you have to do. But, if your normal i dont like the idea of you getting a late term abortion.

But, as a pro choicer how can I impose that will on you, it's not my decision to make. Abortion is so touchy and a hard thing to stick up for but someone has to. I think maybe the mental health screening is somewhat ok but needs re-worked. Perhaps, theyre can be some sort of therapy offered for women who've had abortions, to help them deal with it. Not screen them.

I must disagree with these bills myself. Even though I do not like late term abortions.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
My first pregnancy ended in a fourth month miscarriage. I had 2 pregnancies (2 daughters) following that. Then I had an abortion.

My opinion is not just lip service.

It is no one's business but the person making the decision - PERIOD!

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Do you guys think this will be thrown out? I dont think this will stick. I dont even think it will be around very long at all.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
With all the known emotional issues that women have after having an abortion...why wouldn't people want some counseling before having an abortion?

Why are pro-choice people so against informing women of the possible psychological effects an abortion will have on them afterwards?

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I believe this is definitely a step in the right direction. I like the idea of women being screened before she has an abortion. Personally I wonder how many women who have had an abortion regretted it later.

There has to be something wrong to begin with if the woman needs counseling after the abortion. That tells me that she wasn't sure in the first place. I wonder how many women have an abortion as a last ditch effort just because they think they can't afford a baby or take care of one? To me that is wrong.

I wonder what the statistics are on women that regret having the abortion later, and/or need counseling because of the abortion.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
With all the known emotional issues that women have after having an abortion...why wouldn't people want some counseling before having an abortion?

Why are pro-choice people so against informing women of the possible psychological effects an abortion will have on them afterwards?

I agree with you, the option should be out there. If the women want it , it should be readily available. I do know that my mom works at planned parenthood and shes not allowed to say anything to the women either way. Even to ask their feelings for fear of being accused 'swaying their decision' or somehow suggesting she should or should not get an abortion.

I'm sure many women would like that opportunity for therapy. I would have no problem helping fund it with my taxes. I don't think it should be mandatory though.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by VintageEnvy

I don't know why it isn't mandatory like it is for any other medical procedure. They have to tell you all the potential side effects and complications even psychologically. And then the patient needs to decide and sign off on the treatment.

This happens for everything except for abortion...with abortion they don't want them to talk about ANYTHING...just get it done and send them off on their way. I am actually surprised there are not more lawsuits over this.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I’m not sure that the part concerning screening for “mental health and other problems” is such a good thing.

That is, if a woman is certifiably mentally incompetent is she going to be refused an abortion? Meanwhile, if a woman is perfectly sane she would be allowed to abort a perfectly good fetus?

That seems really counterproductive to me: all the crazy women are going to be forced to continue to procreate while all the rational ones will be allowed to abort. Sounds like doom for the human race to me.

[edit on 13-4-2010 by passenger]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

But what if they dont want counseling? Should they be forced to go through that? They're made aware of the physical dangers, the psychological ones I would think were obvious. Not everyone who gets an abortion is devastated to the point she needs counseling before hand. I don't see why they would need it.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

While I strongly support the choice to have an abortion I do think after 20 weeks is very inhumane. I'm sure I'll get blasted for this. I support what nebraska did.

Oh and 2 questions David.

1. How could you even have an abortion?

2. Why did you get two warnings?

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Do think partial birth abortion should be allowed?

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

1. How could you even have an abortion?
2. Why did you get two warnings?

1. Well I wouldn't support my wife having one...I can't have one myself. I had a g/f who had one long ago...the relationship ended shortly thereafter and it has haunted me ever since. Would be 8 years old right now.

2. Everyone seems to be noticing that! I don't like it either...I feel dirty.
Doesn't happen to me very often.

Often, when people speak of abortions...i feel they are usually thinking of one person having one abortion.

I have a relative who is currently dating someone who has had 3 abortions. Isn't there a line that can be crossed...even for those who are pro-abortion?

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
The 20-week limit is probably what should have been all along, and what should have been debated rather than the outright "No".

90% of all abortions occur before 12 weeks. Even with RvW, the state could intervene in the second trimester. I knew one woman who chose to carry her nonviable 7-month fetus to full term, doctors giving her the choice to abort or not. Another woman I read about made the painful decision to a rare late term abortion, when she was informed after tests that her baby had profound problems and could not survive after birth.

Counseling? For what purpose?

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by passenger

I’m not sure that the part concerning screening for “mental health and other problems” is such a good thing. That is, if a woman is certifiably mentally incompetent is she going to be refused an abortion? Meanwhile, if a woman is perfectly sane she would be allowed to abort a perfectly good fetus?

That's a good point and it's not really explained in the article. I have no idea what the exact ramifications of it means.

20 weeks however equals 5 months....that's past midway through a pregnancy. How long does one need to decide to have an abortion?

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by desert

I knew one woman who chose to carry her nonviable 7-month fetus to full term, doctors giving her the choice to abort or not. Another woman I read about made the painful decision to a rare late term abortion, when she was informed after tests that her baby had profound problems and could not survive after birth.

Yeah that's horrible stuff. I'd hate to ever have to make that decision. It's cases like this that make the abortion issue such an emotional one...and most people seem to have a different line of what is right and wrong.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Abortion and capital punishment are still murder.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

Abortion and capital punishment are still murder.

abortion is not murder. Also, if you dont want to be killed, dont kill anyone else, simple.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
This is obviously going to be a hot-button issue (as it always is here on ATS) but I feel I should certainly attempt to add my two cents anyway.

I do not support this legislation. I am anti-abortion but pro-choice. I could never and would never get one, and even in my youth I don't believe I could have done so. If you might look at my previous posts throughout the years you will see I am a woman's advocate and extremely involved in woman's childbirth issues. Call me "crunchy" if you will but I certainly do not hail from the land of bible-thumping in which global reality is somehow black and white...oh no, completely shades of gray-personal to everyone who experiences it.

I must wonder what you libertarians out there think about mental health screenings for personal health decisions....intrusive?

It is intolerably disrespectful and any Nebraska lawmaker does not have the right to legislate against any woman who is probably far more accomplished and emotionally aware than they are. What, so a bureacratic "social woker" can sit there and ask someone questions about their mental state? Disgraceful.

On subject of so called "late term abortion"-obviously there is no such medical term because such a medical term would not exist. It is a term made up by "pro-life" politicians to describe a medical procedure that they know nothing about.

I urge those who believe that all late term abortions are the direct result of some cruel, ignorant young girl to do their research into what is happening in the medical community at the moment taking this option away from families who regretfully, and with much sadness, must resort to this procedure. Some who have tried for DECADES to conceive whose pregnancy is met with tragedy....some who were "pro-life" and "anti late term" before situations beyond their control fell their way.....

I urge those of you not familiar to read this article from the Boston Globe regarding what legislation such as this is doing:

www.boston.com...

No legislator has the right, or probably the strength, to deal with what some of these women have. SHAME ON THEM for assuming they have any idea what they are talking about. And shame on them for doing this.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Taking the life with or without the consent of a defenseless person is murder. Please explain yourself to the families of innocent murdered human beings, that never hurt, let alone murdered anyone else.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join