It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do So Many People Want The End of The World?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Is it HAARP messing with people's minds?
Floride in the water?

I can understand "if it happens it happens" or " I'm right with God" but the people who say " I hope it happens" or "I can't wait" or are looking forward to it happening, that I have a hard time trying to understand.

The ones that have watched Mad Max to many times and think that they will take over make sense in their own warped way. Have alot of people just given up on the Human Race? Do we need to be punished? Is it that their lives suck so much that they want to take everybody with them?

On some of the smaller scale scenarios that are aimed at the root of all evil in the world, the U.S., I can understand that they just hate the U.S., but the worldwide destruction of billions of people, plants and animals, as something that you want to happen, that you wish would happen...Why?

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Hey its simplier than having to deal with the complexities of life

Also it makes you feel better if you think its the world that is screwed up and not yourself.

It's also a form of excapism from the humdrum reality of life. Afterall if energywave or the others REALLY believed the crap, then they wouldn't be sitting here tapping away stupid posts about it, would they?

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 07:42 AM
link   
cause we all know its gonna happen so why the hell wait..bring it on

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gryffen

Im with you, I would rather see it coming. Than be waiting around blind to all the real bad in the world.

Nice new avatar Gryff.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
It's also a form of excapism from the humdrum reality of life. Afterall if energywave or the others REALLY believed the crap, then they wouldn't be sitting here tapping away stupid posts about it, would they?

After surfing around some people have dropped out, some seem like it's almost "you guys are going to die and I can't wait"

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gryffen

So it's, enough with this something could happen anytime c**p, we got a date lets get it over with?

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:10 AM
link   
maybe its for the better. in the humans short riegn (compared to most species we have only just begun) we have wiped out many other animals, infected every contenent on the world bar antarctica, replaced hundreds of habitats with our urban jungle and pushed the world to the brink of destruction not to mention our love for weapons like the atomic bomb, guns, fire... why does every one love guns? even i do. we all know what there designed for. man the human minds wierd.

don't get me wrong i love life but we are so destructive maybe it would be better for our planet if we went.

now who wants to yell at me

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:17 AM
link   
we pretty much deserve to get wiped out

we're the root of all problems..we've #ed #ed #ed up the planet...our lives and the whole damn living thing because of personal greed and advancment.

we cant say we have had harmony on the planet...we havnt lived in peace at all..so we either need a feckin big war or an bigazz meteor to come wipe us out...thats if earth doesna do it for us...think shes pissed off and want to let us know with all this funky weather and #e

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I don't think the majority of people living on this planet want the planet itself destroyed, but rather society as we know it destroyed. After all it's a small percentage of people that actaully pull the strings. The ultra rich. They are the ones that influence world governments, laws, wars, and the general day to day actions in all financial branchs of all countries.

There are only two scenerios that could change life as we know it.

1) Destruction of the world's societies.
2) An awakening.

The destruction would diffinitely be the easier course of action, whether performed by man or a cataclysm from space. The awakening would mean that every human being would one day wake up and change our course of living. I cannot see the awakening happening unless destruction happens first. If every patriot group, in every country, one day attacked the powers that be, the battle would be short due to technological power that the rich control.

IMO the only logical outcome would be 1 causing 2.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I dont really WANT the end of the world, as there is pain and suffering predicted. However, I know that man has failed miserably in leading himself and it will take getting through that 'cleansing' to get God to rule us as he originally intended. We as humans thought we could do it ourselves and now look at the world.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
you've hit the nail on the head there rockmea its not so much people as society if we were like monkeys it would be much more enviromentally friendly not to mention those funky tails wooo hooooooo!!

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   
rockmea, i tend to agree, also.
I don't think that it's the end of the world were after, but a "change"!
I think people, especially in the US, are seeking a "kinder-gentler" time.
Kinda like that movie, Pleasantville. With things having gone the way they have the last few years, it's no wonder.
The last 14 years have been frought with a type of madness.
Technology hasn't helped much either. And, it seems the world has become a much smaller place. I see way more foreigners in this country than i ever used to. Not that that's bad, just is. The bad part about it to me is that they take the jobs, get the low interest loans to go into business, and even take their toll on the US's welfare system.
I, personally, knew that a BIG change was taking place during the first Gulf war when at one moment we were looking at the newscaster in NY, or DC, and the next in Riyadh. I knew then that technology had changed tremendously and we were at the beginning of a new age.
rockmea, you're right, "an awakening", or "destruction", and i'm not sure an "awakening" on the magnitude necessary is possible.
=====================================================

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I think there are two schools of thought on those that wat the end of the world too come.

The first and most common are people who do not like life, or at least life the way it is. They see the bad sides of humanity and think it should end. I have had moments like this myself. But in the end because so many more people realize the good that also lays in humanity we strive to better ourselves rather than end it all. If you life is mostly reading american news and ATS then yeah, we seem really bad. However I have seen enough of humanity to know that people are just judging us on a narrow view. Despite war and terrorism, there are many loving healthy people out there doing good things. THere is hope for our species. But even this broad view of humanity isn't the root cause for most of these people, it is something personal, having been abused or perhaps just not wanting to accept modern life for what it is.

The second major reason is probably finality. There are so many threat to our existance that some get the feeling we are doomed and they want to see the big boom. I understand this, except that I also acknowledge the possibility that humans may never die out. Sure there are lots of way we MAY have, but despite everything we are still here and in huge numbers.

I'm sure there are other reasons, but these are the two I see most.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Here is an article relating to ''Why do so many people want the end of the world'?

Quote//
GOVERNMENT-SPONSORED ATHEISM AHEAD:
IDOLS, DEMONS, ATHEISM AND THE LAST JUDGEMENT

He that is not with me is against me.

Matt. 12,30

When the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

Luke 18,8

INTRODUCTION: THREE STAGES OF DECLINE

As the Western world gradually loses and, indeed, abolishes the last vestiges of Faith in Christ, sweeping aside His Church and His teachings, so it replaces the worship of the Christian God with the worship of others. This process began a long time ago and consists of three stages. These are the three stages of any sin: distraction by temptation, entertainment of temptation and the committing of sin.

www.orthodoxengland.btinternet.co.uk...

It is up to us to decide what awaits us for today,tomorrow and the future!

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Duke_Nukem
I can understand "if it happens it happens" or " I'm right with God" but the people who say " I hope it happens" or "I can't wait" or are looking forward to it happening, that I have a hard time trying to understand.
but the worldwide destruction of billions of people, plants and animals, as something that you want to happen, that you wish would happen...Why?

Probably so when it's all over and done they can say "I told you so"........(Oh cr@p that one won't work....let me get back to you)

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I think people would rather have God, or some outside force create the change everyone wanst in this world, than actualy doing something themselves to bring that change about.

The idea of the world being destroyed and therby ending the pain and suffering of the planet is to me akin to a man commiting suicide because he can no longer deal with the problems in his life. The thing is, so often those problems that seem so huge, and so indominable can be solved if you stick with it and persevere.

We can't let ourselves be comsumed by fear, we have to have faith and keep on going and when its our turn to act do something to make sure the things we care about do not perish in the face of evil.

Whatever you believe about humanity, and God this world belongs to us and we alone have the power to destroy it, or preserve it. Becoming obsessed with the end of the world is more than an escape, its a rejection of the moral responsibility we have towards humanity and all of the men and women who have sacrificed to build all that is good we know today.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockmea
There are only two scenerios that could change life as we know it.

1) Destruction of the world's societies.
2) An awakening.

The destruction would diffinitely be the easier course of action, whether performed by man or a cataclysm from space. The awakening would mean that every human being would one day wake up and change our course of living. I cannot see the awakening happening unless destruction happens first. If every patriot group, in every country, one day attacked the powers that be, the battle would be short due to technological power that the rich control.

IMO the only logical outcome would be 1 causing 2.

Read 'The One' by Rick Veitch- the destruction itself doesn't have to come- the threat of it will provoke the awakening. I bagsy be a part of the faceless superhero who saves us all. (Only a part mind, but thats all anyone gets, so I can be happy with that) That is fiction, admittedly, but I'm still hoping

People just want the end of the world, cause frankly, its a bloody horrible tedious place. Though the whole ecology thing seems like a poor subject to raise. What, three asteroids are gonna take us out but they're gonna save the whales? If AB's right, and we're on our way out, then we're taking the wildlife with us.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duke_Nukem
Why?
Because collectively as humanity, we are a reflection of the greater process of life itself. We are all the one mind of God in action. Humanity is not separate from each other, but we are all connected, which the Powers That Be will not teach us in school or alter the current system to accompany such an ideology. Humanity depends upon the Earth in which it resides, the organic matrix of life. The Earth has and is under stress and maybe this is why so many feel inside the misery for the change to end it all.

We are puny under the eyes of God.

Well, I can't compete with God, so if God decides to send some asteroids this way, I just have to say, "May God rain his tears(asteroids) upon the Earth to cleanse all transgression."

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Humans are nasty little creatures. In the whole scheme of things us humans are just weeds. We do nothing positive for the enviroment...in fact we destroy everything we touch. Look at the world now, we have caused global warming, pollution, diseases, and well, just total filth. And we as humans are greedy, selfish, hateful, ect. Anyways we deserve destruction. If not by a nautral disaster, then we are just going to end up killing ourselves.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I pretty much agree with Quest on this one.

Humanity does seem to have a desire for self-destruction. For some, it's a religious impulse -- for Jesus to return, the world has to undergo catastrophe. (The scary part about this is that certain Apocalyptics with the money and power to do so are actively trying to make it happen.) For others, it's despair at the perceived decline and corruption of society -- it's easier to wish for a natural disaster or suchlike to destroy civilization instead of fixing what's wrong. Then there's basic sociopathy: "Kill 'em all, let [God/dess of your choice] sort 'em out!" Kind of divinely or Earth-assisted suicide & murder, if you will.

There's been periods of apocalyptic fever in history, with all kinds of signs and portents that the world is about to end. It usually follows periods of technological advancement or social upheaval with its accompanying economic disparity between social classes. Religion then jumps in and provides the scenario for End Times (not just Christianity, either). Millennial fever is not restricted to the recent turn of the century.

I think another factor that has to be considered is that the prophets of doom just don't want to admit they were wrong. Therefore they look for fulfillment at a slightly later date so they can still say "I told you so!"

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join