It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a business point of view

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Greetings to all ATS members. I have been visiting this site fo almost a year and decided to join your ranks. I am a huge science fiction fan as indicated by my user name. I love a well written story. I have found that some members have a very compelling point of view and present some very intelligent arguments. I am a 52 year old guy who has traveled a different path. What pushed my buttons and made me join was my desire to respond to several posts I felt needed some perspective. A different point of view if you will. There has been a steady drumbeat on this site of overall negativity toward big business. I own a fairly large company with many employees. We owners are not all bad. Most of my employees have been with me for many of the 18 years I have struggled to build this company. Some from the beginning. The secret to success is surround yourself with talented people, pay them well and let them do their job. It has been a difficult journey and I wish to dispell the notion that all business owners are out to shaft the little guy. My philosiphy from the beginning is to run a business the way our grandparents did. A man's word was his bond and a handshake sealed the deal. My company motto is "Quality, Honesty and Integrity". I provide my people with the best possible health plans on the market today. I also offer the best possible retirement program avaiable today. I pay them better than well and share all unexpected windfalls with them according to tenure. My business was not built on winning life's lottery. It took many years of hard work, long hours, no vacations, worked weekends, hot and dirty part time jobs and paychecks sitting on my bedroom dresser until the funds were there for me. Whatever it took to keep my doors open. My employees come first, always have and always will. They know this and have risen with the financial tide along side of me. My core belief is that I would rather have a group of people willing to fall on the sword for me rather than throwing me on the sword. I will stand in front and take the arrows when needed. I had an opportunity to sell my business last year. During our discussions regarding a sale some things were said that troubled me. I chose not to because I believed that at the end of the day the new ownership would not treat my employees as good decent people rather as laborors to be abused. I am not alone in this country. I know many business owners who share my ideals. We travel the same circles. I do know that there are badly run companies out there. I have worked for some and that is what generated a burning desire to build something better. My dream from the start was to have a business that people wanted to work for. The money was never what drove me. I know what doing without is like. I lived it for many years. What you think you need to live on is quite different that what you actually need. So I look forward with some anticipation to engaging the business haters out there willing to lump us all into the bad catagory. My only regret is that I am not able to provide more people with an opportunity to better themselves. Money is important but it is not everything when it comes to overall job satisfaction.

Scotticus Prime
Supreme Commander of the Truth and Light Brigade

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Well, if what you say about yourself is true..then you, sir are a rare breed of businessman.
Welcome to ATS.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Welcome to the forum. I am not against big business and I don't think most are. What I am against is politically connected big business that uses the legislature to stifle free markets namely thier competition.

Plenty of misguided lefties think that not enough government regulation is to blame for those politically connected corps who run roughshod over the people. But they are wrong it is precisely this regulation and stifling of free markets sold to the people under the guise of protecting them that allows these big corps too run rough shod with little or no natural competition

Congratulations on being an honest man and building a business the old fashion way. Nothing wrong with that.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

It is true. I was raised to believe that everyone has something to offer. As I stated in my post I am not alone. We have keeping our nose to the grindstone for so long that we fly under radar. Not all business owners are greedy as tha MSM would have you believe. My desires are to have my employees reach their maximum potential. Unfortunatly no two people are the same. Some of my employees bring more to the table than others. That does not make the others less important. I treat my engineers and comtrollers the same way I treat the new young kid pushing a broom.
I truly believe that paying it forward is the key to my success. Did I ever think I would earn as much as I do now....no I did not. I never gave it much thought. I am thankful for that and I love to see the look on my employees faces when I give them a check out of the blue. You can't buy that special feeling of giving.

sp

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by scotticus prime

Welcome friend, I too am quite the business owner, I look forward to discussing these events with you and provide this "alternative" side of thinking you have.

I would suggest however, that you break up your posts in paragraphs, your OP is VERY hard on the eyes and you'll get far better response if stuff is properly formated.

Just at thought.

Enjoy your stay.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

You are correct in your post. The system is broken. Very large corporations often times deserve the condimnation of we the people. I do not disagree that politics and big business are doing great harm to our country. You would not believe the complicated tax crap I must endure every quarter. I believe that if every worker in this great coutry would have to sit down at their kitchen table and write a check to the goverenment every payday there would be a revolt. It is obscene what we send to DC every payday on behalf of our employees.

sc

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Thanks for the tip. I have seen so many different writing styles here. Being new I don't yet know what is best. I prefer to write in proper style. I did not think it mattered. I will take you advise the next time around.

sc

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by scotticus prime

Welcome and best wishes to you sir. It's nice to hear from someone in business as the broader the range of perspectives presented, particularly on matters of business, the better we are placed to make an informed oppinion of said matter.

My biggest concern with big buisness is the shareholders. I understand a company needs to make money but if profits must increase every year than at some point, something has to give to meet the expectation and it can lead to a lot of people getting shoved around.

It is a breath of fresh air to read what you have said.

Cheers and welcome to ATS.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by thebulldog

Stock owners are along for the ride. They can and do divest themselves at anytime. The markets are like a living organism. There is an ebb and flow that is constantly changing. When the economy is down as it is now earnings are down. Investors know this and accept it as part of the risk of investing. I believe that the unfettered greed we are seeing today is directly tied to the compensation CEO's get based on their production. People who are inclined to cheat will "cook the books" to enhance their bonus and overall compenastion. The 800 pound gorilla in the room is a company's board of directors, not the stock holders. The BOD has the CEO by the "nads". All board members are wealthy and looking to get wealthier. They tend to all be the same kind of animal. In a word greedy and manipulative. They care not for the multitude of people and their familys that are affected by their decisions. I have had many head butting sessions with my fellow board members. They don't have a clue as to the wants and needs of my employees. All they care about is the bottom line. I am no Einstien but I was fortunate enough to realize back when that I had to have at least 51% of the company shares to maintain control of what I wanted the company to be. Sure they bitch about the distributions I frequently disperse to my employees but there is nothing they can do about it.

I have experienced managing a company where the owners could not have cared less about the employees. That experience taught me the true value of what a good employee is and how not to treat them. It was a revolving door and I was constantlly training new people. I would hire competent people and once they figured out what was really going on above me they would quit. Bad time in my life experience. But it taught me a valuable lesson.

I am not a church going man but I do believe that we will answer to something greater than ourselves. I do believe that there is something after this. I try to treat people like I want to be treated. There is something inherently wrong with hurting someone else for ones personal gain. My hope is that I can make some difference to someones life. The more the better. It is said that the the pendulem swings both ways throughout life. I have taught my children well and maybe the next generation, their generation will swing this country back to the way it was 30-40 years ago. Wealth and opulance have become the goal of many people today. The simple fact of the matter is that when you die its game over. You can't take it with you.

sc

new topics

join