It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe divorcing America

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnCJ
Dear Europe,

I realize our relationship has been rough as of late and I can understand you wanting to explore your options. But, I do have to say that we've been through alot together. At first we did move out of your apartment (it was just getting to stuffy) but you did help us out on the first months rent at our new digs. We do appreciate that more than you could know. Please don't forget how well we worked together when your ex showed up- both times. He certainly did do a number on you both times- but we got rid of his ass together both times. Do you remember your crazy neighbor camping on your front porch for 50 years? Man, that was a trip- not to mention the crazy Mexican stand off- whew I'm glad that's over with. Well, as we go our separate ways I hope you can do well for yourself- I suppose after that crazy neighbor cleaned himself up he didn't turn out half bad as a partner, I guess. He's kind of pushy in my opinion, but that's the choice you've made.

Love,
America

Ha-ha! lol!
this was great! funny written!

Europe & America are like semi-retarded cousins whether we like it or not! and we will hopefully never seperate permanently beause of this.

But we have to learn to live with our cultural and social differences - and of course, while there are some minor differences and issuses on the surface, like some of our political world views and foreign policies, but the majority of us are still sharing the same fundamental core values deep inside.

I really hope that we can work things out in the future as friends usually do?

To be fair! some of us €uro wankers sux equally much at times, and we have also done harm to this world - but we have now hopefully got over that 'uncool' phase to be the more wise old owls we are today!

I hope that I didn't offend anyone, too much?

With much love and kind regards from Europe

Oops! I almost forgot! - Stop the wars!

[edit on 14-4-2010 by Chevalerous]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
You mean america england and russia are cousins

Last time i checked europe had no cousins at all. Your cousins were the nazi's

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
To say that Europe wasn't saved by America is short sighted and inaccurate, but to say it was the US that was the only savior is also inaccurate.

France was saved by the US...England was doing alright in being a crazed wombat cornered..Would Germany have eventually overtaken the UK? Perhaps, but not without one hell of a fight..and would have been a dead land overall.

It was the unification of Russia, the Brits, and the Yanks that really ensured the victory in Europe..but not as much the US as we are lead to believe (we were also having issues in the pacific with the japanese.) Its like trying to say which tire on a car was the important tire to make the car drive smoothly...they all worked together.

The true downfall of the German war machine however was their own doing...the invasion of Russia was their biggest doom move and exposed a massive chink in their armor which was exploited. We (The US) deserve credit, of course...but no more or less than Russia and the Brits in the salvation of Europe.

I like the EU...I enjoy travelling there, their culture, the people (except for the overly rude french). Frankly though...if I was pushed to move somewhere that wasn't either the US or the UK...I would more than likely favor the nordic places.

Most people whom travel around are quite fond of places they have travelled to. They realize that people are people wherever you go and there is no major difference as far as what runs their lives. Internet armchair politicians tend to highlight the differences and say we are these wildly different people...we aren't, and chances..those people have never been "over there".

In saying that...middle eastern nations suck...that was my personal experience...scary and angry places (and I was in Cairo...highly moderate place).

I say we drop this nonsense divorce between europe and the US and get a restraining order between us and Saudi Arabia. You want to see a nightmare of a relationship...look there.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I completely agree with most of what Saturnfx has said. I went to college at Bletchley Park, where the enigma(?) codebreakers were based, & although it was mostly Brits there, there were afew Intelligent Yanks there offering assistance too.

To say that the US single handedly saved Europe single handedly, or even that Britain, America & Russia won the war, imo is disrespectful to the brave men from all over the commonwealth who died defending lands they didnt belong to ie, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India ect ect

Edit -
During the Battle Of Britain, 30-40% of the RAF were Polish

[edit on 14/4/10 by Bun-G]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by OLD HIPPY DUDE
As an american I would hope America gets allimony and chid support especially for saving them in WWII.

Your country wouldn't even exist if it weren't for us.

You're welcome.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   

As an american I would hope America gets allimony and chid support especially for saving them in WWII.

HAHA okay then... I'll tell you who saved us....

Winston Churchill... Not the US....

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bun-G
During the Battle Of Britain, 30-40% of the RAF were Polish

Ant that is very rarely mentioned..

The Poles were one of the bravest and toughest groups during WW2 but their contribution to history was all but wiped out by the USSR firstly and Hollywoods retarded attempts to make money out of tickling the Patriotic bone of Yanks secondly.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
You know, Europe isn't like the US, we are not a one country. The EU is slowly digesting the borders in many ways, but we are a long way from the US model. Many of the newly joined countries are fighting to meet the high directives that the EU sets (like Greece, who had to scam their way in).

I also think that the adoration of the US lifestyle is definitely on the rise, all the "hate" is mostly generated by their aggressive foreign politics.

I couldn't care less about the borders, If it would be possible (now), there wouldn't be any if they asked me
So i think the situation is the quite the opposite that the OP suggested.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Insomniac

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Actually, when I was living in England, they tended to be far more pro-America than pro-France or Germany, etc...
Some even became quite offended when I referred to them as european...they claimed either they were western, or simply british...denying their forced linking to the continent..

Yep, I think this true for most of us - certainly in England... I think the Scots like the French because they are both our traditional enemies, but I can't really speak for Scotland. But yes, Saturn FX is right, culturally we're much closer to the US than Europe... And no, I don't consider myself to be European.

These are some very interesting points...how come England feels closer to US than EU ?

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnCJ
Dear Europe,

I realize our relationship has been rough as of late and I can understand you wanting to explore your options. But, I do have to say that we've been through alot together. At first we did move out of your apartment (it was just getting to stuffy) but you did help us out on the first months rent at our new digs. We do appreciate that more than you could know. Please don't forget how well we worked together when your ex showed up- both times. He certainly did do a number on you both times- but we got rid of his ass together both times. Do you remember your crazy neighbor camping on your front porch for 50 years? Man, that was a trip- not to mention the crazy Mexican stand off- whew I'm glad that's over with. Well, as we go our separate ways I hope you can do well for yourself- I suppose after that crazy neighbor cleaned himself up he didn't turn out half bad as a partner, I guess. He's kind of pushy in my opinion, but that's the choice you've made.

Love,
America

Well you just made me feel a tear...nope it was just rain...

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

Sehr Schön...

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by OddTimeSignature

These are some very interesting points...how come England feels closer to US than EU ?

If youre surprised by this, then you're underestimating the power of a common language.

This is a telling detail; when Britain was originally going through the business of joining the Common Market, the process was usually described in common speech as "going into Europe". As if we were not part of Europe already. Even now, I think, "Europe" is, for us, an institution rather than a community.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

So its only semantics...Or is there more some disappointment from the wars, which still slowly growing in the British soul ?...

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lurch
Your country wouldn't even exist if it weren't for us.

You're welcome.

Yeah, I was meaning to thank you guys for that. And for pissing our forefathers off enough to get them rebelling and all that.

You probably won't hear most Americans say this but thank you France as well for helping with that!
I actually enjoy French culture.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by OddTimeSignature

So its only semantics...

Why "only"? I was illustrating the way that language usage betrays an attitude of mind.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Just curious why everyone seems to talk about europe as though it is one country and not one continent? They have the union, fine, but the countries act alone. I've taken several international business classes and an international english course which covered authors from 9 different european countries. The way these authors spoke of their countries made them seem so different people and cultural wise. Yet the author of this thread says europe is one and they no longer want to be like america. I really don't believe that was ever the case. Instead of believing random people that are mad at america read some books.

PS. I especially hate when it comes to business and people talk about europe as one country. It's not...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mackey1224uk

And who did you excactly save in ww2 because it was'nt the brits.

You saved the russians, and the rest of the europen countryts. From what I can remember not one German foot soldier set foot on british soil so can you tell me how you so-called yanks, saved us from Hilter?

what was the name of that island that the germans held there?

I just saw it the other day. It was one of those "consessions" wasn't it?

Some british tv company did a whole mini series on it.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by A Novel
PS. I especially hate when it comes to business and people talk about europe as one country. It's not...

Its a strange region.. Almost a nation but not too much like a nation that it would piss off the inhabitants that retain their sense of nationalism..

From a political and sovereign sense, it is a country of sorts since Lisbon went through.. It may never be a country but it doesn't need to be. European integration is such an insane thing to happen the way it is happening..

But yea, obviously from a business sense, every state has its completely separate economy so they are completely separate from each other that way alright..

On the other hand, since the 1st of Dec last year, I have a EU citizenship that supersedes my Irish citizenship in 99% of aspects.. Including human rights and law.. Also the EU now makes almost 80% of our laws. Its insanely complicated.. And thats probably the only reason it is so successful

If you want to be only from a specific place.. ie British, you legally can.. If you want to be European, you legally can.. Keeps everyone happy..

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by A Novel

Well i think the general idea with the EU is...in the long run, and this isn´t something they speak about, to be a very much alike and a counterpart to the US...so in the long run everything are going to be spoken from Brussels...there are no room for some individual thinking from the member nations...

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Seems like there's a lot about WW2 Germany you guys don't get.

If we hadn't pushed back into Germany and taken out their industrial center, they would have kept producing bombs to lay on London and the rest of Europe indefinitely.

Another thing is they were developing a bomber that could reach NYC, and if we hadn't taken out their industry when we did, a few months or another year and they would've been sending bombers across the Atlantic and bombing the mainland US, and probably trying to prepare an invasion there (and good luck on that one, I would say -- then again Germany didn't invade gun-loving Switzerland did they?). They had developed a version of the ME-262 to do this.

As cruel and evil as the Nazis were, Germany was a freaking powerhouse during that war, you have to give them that much. For a country about the size of Texas, right? Pretty damned impressive military feats.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join