It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's Supreme Court Short List Includes Six Women

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
abcnews

Fewer than 10 possible U.S. Supreme Court nominees -- six of them women -- are on President Obama's short list to replace retiring Justice John Paul Stevens on the U.S. Supreme Court, according to ABC News sources.

Stevens announced his retirement Friday, and the White House has said it plans to name a nominee by early next month.

The short list includes: Solicitor General Elena Kagan; Judge Merrick Garland of the U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit; Judge Diane Wood of the Seventh Circuit Appeals Court in Chicago; Democratic Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm; former Georgia Supreme Court Chief Justice Leah Ward Sears; Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano; Harvard Law School dean Martha Minow, who was once the president's professor; and Judge Sidney Thomas of the Ninth Circuit Appeals Court in San Francisco.

There are others not on the short list whom the president might consider, including White House official Cass Sunstein, and Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, D-R.I., is being pushed by some on Capitol Hill, sources said.

The White House denied reports that Secretary of State Hillary Clinton would be tapped as the next Supreme Court nominee, despite widespread speculation.

"The president thinks Secretary Clinton is doing an excellent job as secretary of state and wants her to remain in that position," White House spokesman Tommy Vietor told reporters Monday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm sure the right will scream that Obama is "prejudiced" in favor of women, and therefore his nominees are not really qualified for the job.

It's odd that you never hear them scream when a white man is appointed to a high position. There have been how many male justices on the Supreme Court in its long history? The vast majority of them. But that doesn't constitute prejudice, oh no no no no no. We are to assume that white men are just naturally superior.

The truth, I believe, is that there are many people in this country who are qualified to sit on the Supreme Court. Some of them are women. Even if Obama is motivated to rectify past gender discrimination, he will still have a fully qualified candidate to fill the bill.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I'm certain he'll nominate a woman.
There were two on the court until O'Connor retired.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
During the confirmation hearings, I hope someone asks, "Do you believe the Constitution empowers the Federal Government for force citizens to purchase products from private companies?" How many congressmen do I need to bribe to make a law forcing people to buy my products?

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

So who from the right is complaining so far? I like the idea of another woman on the SC. Color doesn't matter, either. I just hope they won't legislate from the bench.

As for his list, the only one I know anything about so far is Janet Napolitano and I do hope she's only on that list to satisfy some temper tantrum that she might throw otherwise. I think she would be the worst nominee in history.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
It always creeps me out when the media keeps harping on an appointees gender, orientation, race, etc.. and dragging out the statistics like "would be the first blah blah blah" while never reporting on a candidates record or published papers or on record statements.

That's all Ive been hearing from the news channels since the retirement was announced. It's like they're having tryouts for the next Real World or something.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I honestly don't mind if it's a man, women, or turtle as long as they bring good things to the table.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I find the story somewhat boring and predictable, but I find your opinion rather childish and rediculous. If you think you already know what obama bashers will do and say, then why make a thread and then ask this question and then also answer it?
kind of looks like political trolling to me.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by UfoSpecial

I consider that a person whose avatar says "Mao Bama" has a definite political position. A troll is often in the eye of the beholder.

new topics

top topics

join