It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NBC ADMITS: Using "behavior placement" on popular T.V. shows to shape behavior and sell ads

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
This has been going on for years. Most women I know are complete soap addicts. They get very annoyed when I tell them that they're called "Soaps" because it's the tool used for brainwashing.

In soaps we see ordinary people (well, ok, maybe not in American soaps. I'm thinking Coronation Street and Eastenders, that sort of thing). We have the good characters, and the bad characters. We see demonstrations of how good people behave, how to spot a bad person, and of course we always see the bad people get what they deserve.

If you don't think soaps change our perceptions, think of this. There's absolutely no way society in general would have raised their acceptance of homosexuality if it weren't for soaps. Brookside (an old soap in the UK. The last episode was the best - Jimmy Corkhill sitting on an armchair in his front garden having a good old rant about the state of British television) was a major player in this, being the first British soap to have gay characters with full on, in your face real relationship stuff.

Soaps change our perceptions, and they're also one of the most effective distractions on television, ensuring that when we're having our coffee breaks in work, that we have a common subject to discuss, and won't wander off and talk about the real issues in our society.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by devildogUSMC

such as healthy eating or eco-conscious habits

How sinister. My God what will they do next, spread the word about how puppies are cute as can be

Haven't they been doing this for years? Lot's of shows have a moral to the story, lot's of shows try to preach to us. How is that at all sinister compared to, let's say, the ten hours of commercials for every 30 seconds of programming (at least that's how the ratio seems to me every time I reluctantly flip on the tube)? All those years as a kid was Full House teaching me to love TPTB? I've never watched much NBC, aside from Conan, but I'm guessing the messages in these shows weren't as subtle as they would have you believe.

Maybe if it was discovered that they were sending messages of violence - oh wait, a lot of TV shows do contain violence, must be some sinister subtle message telling me to stab people

The sad part is I know and believe television has been used to brainwash and sedate us into the lethargic people many have become but I fail to see how anyone is surprised by it and I further fail to see how this case, a case in which most of the messages being made were positive ones about being nice to the environment and eating healthy, actually has people using words like "Orwellian".

Of course they are going to use TV to change your behavior that's the purpose of every commercial and product placement out there. People get up in arms about the small offenses and then fail to see the larger picture, that TV has always been used for these purposes and that the message they've been sending could be a lot worse than "go green".

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

Yeah my mom was blabbering on how cool it would be to have a RFID chip in her hand or head and how easy it would be for the transactions and things, and she gives me life advice at the same time?

It's sad and pathetic. How can I respect her thoughts or suggestions when she thinks like that.

I hope the younger generations will be more aware of these sort of thought manipulations and be wiser to it.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

Yes it is all true. You guys finally figured it out. Now I have to completely redo EVERYTHING. It was all working so well. With the Beatles I got you to do drugs, Rolling Stones turned you into sex fiends, Ozzy made you commit suicide, War of the Worlds incited racism, Beavis and Butthead convinced you all to burn down your non-cable trailer park, and now "Community" is being used to trick you into wanting to eat an apple now and then. Muah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. It was all working so well until you pesky kids started snooping around. Oh well, now you know. It is all true. Santa Claus is real. God is an Alien. Oz is over the rainbow, and Midian is where the monsters go.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by K J Gunderson

I'm at a loss for words with what you said.

Anyway, I think most tv shows or newscasts are no longer vaild as a useful medium and that uncensored internet access will be humanity's savior, and the powers that be know this, and this is why the internet is under constant targeting by them.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar

I'm at a loss for words with what you said.

...and yet you took the time and effort to post that?

I will never understand why someone takes a post to inform people they have nothing to say.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Hmmm... is it just possible that Shakespeare's "Henry V" was a subtle attempt to "program" the British masses to accept British imperialism and die for Queen and country? Shocking! What's it called again? Propaganda, and it's as old as the Bible. If it's propaganda that encourages you not to litter or smoke or burn your neighbor's house down, I don't see the problem.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Yes it is all true. You guys finally figured it out. Now I have to completely redo EVERYTHING. It was all working so well. With the Beatles I got you to do drugs, Rolling Stones turned you into sex fiends, Ozzy made you commit suicide, War of the Worlds incited racism, Beavis and Butthead convinced you all to burn down your non-cable trailer park, and now "Community" is being used to trick you into wanting to eat an apple now and then. Muah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. It was all working so well until you pesky kids started snooping around. Oh well, now you know. It is all true. Santa Claus is real. God is an Alien. Oz is over the rainbow, and Midian is where the monsters go.

What do you call this gibberish then?

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
In a wave of nostalgia, I just watched the final episode of Brookside on youtube, just to hear that final rant of Jimmy Corkhill's, and as it turns out, he'd fit in quite well around here.

The rant was written, if I remember correctly, by the creator of the series who was angry that Channel 4 had cancelled his hard hitting drama to make way for more reality shows.

www.youtube.com...

Watch the whole episode (it's a good watch), or if you don't want to sit through it all, skip forward to about 1 hr 11 minutes and watch from there. It's interesting stuff.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Well I think it's quite obvious that this is going on. If you don't realize and acknowledge this, then you're just not too bright, imo. Just stop watching the tele guys! It's really not like anyone is forcing you to watch mindless, brainwashing garbage. I stopped watching the tube years ago, and am pleased to report an annual increase of IQ between 2 & 200

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

What do you call this gibberish then?

A response to this nonsense

Yeah my mom was blabbering on how cool it would be to have a RFID chip in her hand or head and how easy it would be for the transactions and things, and she gives me life advice at the same time?

You offered up this cute little anecdote as some kind of confirmation of the OP. I am simply pointing out that we can make that case every decade for the last 50 years so your example is simply proof that the OP is basically crying about old, very old news.

Your mom must thin RFID chips are ok because of this behavioral programming and blah blah blah. This is old. People have been blaming MSM for crap like that as long as it has been around.

Got it?

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Yeah, definitely pretty creepy and down right rude IMO! Seriously though, just do like I do, and don't watch it. Then, they have no power over your conscious or subconscious decisions, or pretty much anything for that matter. I say BOYCOTT!

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Your mom must thin RFID chips are ok because of this behavioral programming and blah blah blah. This is old. People have been blaming MSM for crap like that as long as it has been around.

I just made a point to explain how people think things are okay if media makes it out to be. This goes for everything, news, advertisements, shows because they think if it's on tv it must be true. So, yeah MSM is partly responsible for people too stupid to think for themselves. They are the ones contributing to the problem along with government and corporate leaders.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   

I just made a point to explain how people think things are okay if media makes it out to be.

I just made a point that you are pointing out the obvious which would not apply to the OP as this is supposed to be breaking news. You were making my point.

This goes for everything, news, advertisements, shows because they think if it's on tv it must be true. So, yeah MSM is partly responsible for people too stupid to think for themselves. They are the ones contributing to the problem along with government and corporate leaders.

...and they always have been. That is my point.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
if something as "innocuous" and calm as Tina Fey tossing a bottle in a bin could cause millions to be more likely to copy her behavior...
And NBC puts trust in whatever socio-psychologists that were paid a good amount of $ to consult them to do so...
Then I wonder what is to be said of the incesstant bickering and ridiculous yappings of reality TV?
The innane fighting over ridiculous minuscule events... that escalate to animalistic violence...
or nono.. wait.. how about COPS... or .. wait no... the response of people in the series "V"..

if some people join resistance grous in the "V" show then others will be more likely to do so upon a real visitation.. etc etc...

I could go on..

but if NBC is openly saying they've payed people to tell them to do this because it shows to work in tests..(otherwise they wouldn't do it) .. then if it's as effective in a bottle and bin action..

what about more violent acts.. more impactful and traumatic events viewers witness??

hmmmmm?

aaaah steering the herd... such a delicately brutal science...

-

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join