It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California sees uptick in sizable earthquakes since the Mexicali temblor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

California sees uptick in sizable earthquakes since the Mexicali temblor

latimesblogs.latimes. com

If you’ve been feeling more shaking this year, it’s not your imagination. The number of quakes greater than magnitude 4.0 in Southern California and Baja California has increased significantly in 2010. There have been 70 such quakes so far this year, the most of any year in the last decade. And it’s only April.

There were 30 in 2009 and 29 in 2008. Seismologists said they are studying the uptick but cannot fully explain it.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Thought this was interesting considering the campaign online by various pseudoscientists to convince everyone the data showed no increase. Lets hope they think twice in the future before making fools of themselves.

[edit on 13-4-2010 by Risen]

Mod Edit: Copy the Exact Headline: BAN Guidelines

[edit on 4/13/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Mod Edit: Copy the Exact Headline: BAN Guidelines

[edit on 4/13/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   

There's a difference between a general increase in earthquakes and a increase of earthquakes in one particular location.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippoThere's a difference between a general increase in earthquakes and a increase of earthquakes in one particular location.

They said the data showed it was a normal year in every way, people were imagining things, and nothing unusual was going on.

Also from there:

Earthquakes have been in the forefront of public consciousness this year after January’s devastating temblor in Haiti, which killed tens of thousands. It was followed weeks later by a destructive temblor in Chile.

And then came the Mexicali quake, which was stronger than Haiti's although much less destructive.
Hauksson said it’s easy to read too much into this year's quake uptick.

Easy to downplay it too. For now at least. They didn't even mention all the increased powerful activity around Tonga among other places.

There will be a point where the increase is undeniable. Mark my words. There's plenty of the year left, and by the end of it there will be no doubt this year had unusually high activity globally.

[edit on 13-4-2010 by Risen]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Finally! Now the people who say, "it's just an earthquake it happens everyday" can finally just shut it! This was only obvious especially if you live in quake prone areas you've noticed this as I have.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Risen

the increase is already undeniable.

the psuedo-scientists can say all they want, but i watched the unusual swarms move all the way up the line since chili. disregarding all the other notable quakes around the world, the ones in my area of longitude have me most concerned.

first chile, then mexico, now southern cali keeps shaking.

san francisco bay area is next, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to follow a line, and up here were sitting on top of at least 4 parallel faultlines that are all overdue

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by LurkerMan
reply to post by Risen

the increase is already undeniable.

the psuedo-scientists can say all they want, but i watched the unusual swarms move all the way up the line since chili. disregarding all the other notable quakes around the world, the ones in my area of longitude have me most concerned.

first chile, then mexico, now southern cali keeps shaking.

san francisco bay area is next, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to follow a line, and up here were sitting on top of at least 4 parallel faultlines that are all overdue

I think california is long overdue for a heavy earthquake, and this is just the beginnings of it.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
California is definitely overdue. However, I believe (because I dreamed it) that the next major EQ in North America will be in Alaska. Then San Fransisco and then L.A. In that specific order. This a recurring lucid dream I have been having lately.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
My apologies for not quoting the exact headline. I will be sure to in the future.

In order to help you make this site run as smoothly as possible, i'll explain how that second post happened, which i erased and asked you to delete. When i was submitting the article it claimed to have failed and sent me back to the submission form because i didn't write enough text myself, so i wrote more text and hit submit again, only to find the first submission had actually gone through, and the second one with more text went below it.

If you want to leave that second post there, and use it to repeat something you said in the first post, that's your decision.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by Risen]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Wasn't there a large earthquake there recently? (well, near by geographicaly speaking) So, couldn't we just call them aftershocks?

Or am I missing something? (despite the obvious before I get a smart ass reply
)

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Funny,I live in Arizona,and as well in So California,and the only quake I felt with any real movement was the recent one in Baja,seems had other years with stronger ones,but I'm 57 years old and I can remember at about age 6 hearing how LA will slip into the ocean anyday,but I have a feeling eventually they will be right,maybe when my kids are my age,I'm thinking next big one is going to be in an area not know to be earthquake prone,but just my 2 cents

new topics

top topics

join