It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Energy Ties Grow As China Resists Iran Sanctions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Energy Ties Grow As China Resists Iran Sanctions

www.reuters.com

DUBAI/BEIJING April 13 (Reuters) - Chinese state oil firms have maintained the pace of project development in Iran while Beijing resists any new sanctions on the energy sector designed to press Tehran to curb its nuclear programme, industry sources said on Tuesday.

China, which has close economic ties with Iran, has much to lose from any sanctions that limit new investment to develop the world's second-largest oil and gas reserves.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
The fact - by Reuters - no matter how much lying US media tries to make "Obama-hope" distortions from it.

China cant afford to loose Iran. And Russia is totally aligned with Chinese in these worldwide strategies and interests by their very deep SCO cooperation.

"Medvedev: Global Consensus on Iran Energy Sanctions Unlikely"
www1.voanews.com...

But there is now a third player in the field, outside from SCO - also showing its commitment with friendly Iran policies: Turkey.

"Turkish PM won't back Iran sanctions"
amanpour.blogs.cnn.com...

Still wondering this is true? Well, here is another news:

"China insists it has not changed its stand on Iran's nuclear program"
www.latimes.com...

- Obama will end this meeting with empty hands.

Russia and China will guarantee now safety of Iran by resisting sanctions and by arming them fast - full membership of SCO is what I am waiting next. New Air defense missiles are soon to be placed, and thats it then - attack toward Iran will be "unacceptable" like Chief of Russian army just said yesterday.

Next question will raise soon after this situation with Iran is going to chess mate - how to secure Syria and Lebanon from Israeli hostilities? (Full SCO safety guarantees for them too?)

But was this situation in US/Israeli minds in first place - to corner SCO to show their cards, but also same time drive Iran to its corner - so it can not make any military movements to help its old allies - Syria and Lebanon if and when war breaks loose. I think Russia and China will not accept any of those from Iranian government.

This is most interesting - but Turkish stand here is something what really has come out from darkness - Its not a SCO country but from NATO. Will their stance be the key player to keep balance in ME region, and in resisting Israeli plans to wage wars against its neighbors?

Woah! What a strategical chess we are witnessing these days! Big time...

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 13-4-2010 by JanusFIN]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by JanusFIN
China cant afford to loose Iran. And Russia is totally aligned with Chinese in these worldwide strategies and interests by their very deep SCO cooperation.

Well that only leaves us with the conclusive that if Israel or America attack Iran they'll also be at war with China and Russia. Once again I have to say like it seems inevitable at this point and were merely going through the motions.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by belial259

We see these cards finally - everybody does, and I think this has been purpose for these meetings to arrange.

I think Iran has just save their asses - attack to Iran in this situation would be madness because of this SCO backing.

Only if Israel really want to start WW3 they would strike and its hard to believe that. Like I said - safety guarantees what Iran now get, will also limit its possibilities to help its old allies: Lebanon and Syria.

Turkey making their stance with Russia and China is now most interesting and needs to analyze. It was great surprise.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
This doesn't come as a surprise. In fact, I made a geo-political analysis on this particular subject here on ATS several weeks ago. The following is a snippet from my thread: Iran - The Battlefield of The Sino-American Struggle for Power, which I think would be of interest to some of you.

...Despised by America and Israel, Iran is such a country that has the resources that China wants. Ranked third on world proven oil reserves with 137.6 billion barrels only behind Saudi-Arabia and Canada, Iran finds itself in a very comfortable position, but with the ruling powers being against them, to whom should they sell their oil? China does not back off from American pressure as America lacks the means to blackmail China politically or economically - the arms deal to Taiwan did not change their position and hence, they continue to trade with Iran and veto sanctions in contrast to most other countries. China, on the other hand, possesses US treasury bills worth billions of Dollars; after the Taiwan arms deal was announced, Chinese officers urged their government to use this financial weapon as retaliation against America. In other words, China has outgrown its position of being dependent on America, dependency is exactly what gives one control over another.

Iran has the potential to rival with Saudi-Arabia as one of the world's most significant oil exporters. Then why is that Iran needs to import gasoline like described in the article hereunder:

Why Is Iran Importing Gasoline?Other oil-rich nations don't have to.

Two weeks ago, Iran's parliament approved legislation aimed at controlling the ballooning cost of the country's gasoline imports by getting Iranians to drive less. This may seem odd, given that Iran has the world's third-largest oil reserves and used to give gasoline away for pennies per gallon. Why are they now importing fuel?

The country's aging and inefficient refineries can't meet its swelling demand for gasoline. Iran may be brimming with crude oil, but it can't convert enough of the raw product into refined fuels like diesel, kerosene, or gasoline. International sanctions and political pressure from the United States and other countries have discouraged multinational energy companies from making large-scale investments in Iran's infrastructure. Meanwhile, Iranian domestic energy policy—including heavy subsidies for gasoline—has encouraged waste and increased domestic demand.

Refineries don't come cheap: In the United States, it can cost billions of dollars to set up a brand-new facility. Iran might be able to put one together for less, given its more relaxed environmental regulations. But the Iranians would still need to make a huge investment to offset their high demand for gasoline and reduce the need for imports. Other countries draw development money from energy companies in exchange for market access. But many companies have shied away from making such deals with Iran. They face direct sanctions from the United States and United Nations, as well as political pressure discouraging involvement. More generally, Iran is known for a restrictive, bureaucratic business environment that can scare off investment.

source

The above chart very clearly indicates the downfall of the oil production that came along with the Islamic revolution. Ever since, it has been very hard for them to develop and modernize their oil industry. Sanctions and an unstable political climate have made it hard to attract foreign investment. This was until China became an emerging power. Last week, the following chart came to my attention:

Unsurprisingly, it is not the Western oil corporations developing, but China's Sinopec and CNPC which are developing some of Iran's biggest oil fields, equalling tens of billions of investment.

July 30, 2009 —
Iran's recent invitation to Chinese oil companies and banks to invest $43 billion in Iran's oil industry was understandably dismaying to U.S. policymakers. After all, Tehran is attempting to trade access to its abundant oil and natural gas reserves for diplomatic support on its uranium enrichment program, and China's growing appetite for energy makes it vulnerable to such temptations.

source

The above makes it very obvious that China is never going to abide sanctions on Iran, let alone back them. With a daily consumption of 6.93 billion barrels a day, their interest in Iran is so significant that their opposition of sanctions is very understandable. An attack on Iran would likely also target its oil industry and it would be interesting to see how China would react should an attack take place.

[edit on 13-4-2010 by Mdv2]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Yes, your thread was most educative, thanks!

In many ways we have seen in past that China and Russia is acting independently - I mean without Zionist influence directly at their top, but lack of evidence has been just a fact. That is why thus recent development has been most interesting - I think we really see now in world politics where is the invisible lines...

Illuminati is easy to see as master of everything, but still we are far away from their main goals and New World Order. I think its most interesting to see now - where is the opposition - those who still are independent from banksters influence.

How many discussions here we have had in ATS, if China really is already in banksters hands - or Russia? I think situation with Iran tells us finally the truth - who is Illuminati ordered from its shadow governments, and which countries are not.

You agree?

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Another...

China cools U.S. hopes of Iran sanctions breakthrough: report

www.etaiwannews.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by belial259
Well that only leaves us with the conclusive that if Israel or America attack Iran they'll also be at war with China and Russia. Once again I have to say like it seems inevitable at this point and were merely going through the motions.

No it does not. There is no military pact between the countries.

It does however mean that the chances of getting draconian sanctions through the UN are somewhat unlikely. Furthermore, the chance of the US acting militarily is reduced by the fact that there is no consensus and the Obama administration will (I think) avoid any military act which isolates the US. It just would not do the Obama public image much good if he was likened to Bush!

That leaves Israel. I just don’t think Israel has the capability to act militarily (a look at an Atlas would help), although I know that many armchair generals in this forum think that Israel could – or at least that’s what they seem to dream. Iran is safe, at least for now.

That said, sanctions from the EU would harm Iran, so Chinese and Russian appeasement does not completely save the day. Of course, because of the rather poor US/Iran relations over the last few years there is not much trade between the two nations, so the US would end up quids in (as usual) as they would not be disadvantaged. Sanctions cut both ways, so the EU would be disadvantaged, which is why they won’t do much except expel hot air because to do anything more would hand all the trade to the competition (China).

Don’t you just love the Chinese. No morals. The dictatorships will all end up supporting each other because that’s the real New World Order.

Regards

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
this is similar to how much in bed we are with Saudi Arabia.

Such a complex web we weave...time to find a new worldwide energy source and abandon oil all together (well, except for plastics anyhow)

Oil is going to be the death of us all, one way or another.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Talk about the US and Israel finding themselves between the rock and a hard place in ushering support from two important security council members in the UN, China and Russia, for sanctions against Iran. Things are certainly coming to a head and almost zero hour. As some have said, it seems this summit held by President Obama is a means to feel out the Chinese and Russians about Iran. It seems to be working like a charm, because just the other day a Russian general indirectly gave his country's stance on the issue and now the Chinese. Both countries seem to be revealing their cards on the subject?

We could wake up one morning and hear on the radio or TV that Israel has just bombed Iranian nuclear facilities. They never told anyone when they bombed Osirak, Saddam Hussein's foray into weapons of mass destruction. It stands to reason that Israel will do just that again, and I am quite surprised at their patience up to this point. When Israel decides to respond, it will pull the world into chaos over night. US will have to defend Israel, and the Chinese and Russia will side with Iran to protect their investments with the country.

It is only a matter of time when this little soap opera we have been shown over the years becomes a bare-knuckle boxing match between the three super powers of the world. When that occur,s try to be somewhere else because it will be one hell of a war. Out of frustration, one of the combatant nations will use the nuclear option, and then all bets are off. We all know what will come after one nuclear weapon is detonated in a warfare scenario. Personally, I see the US and Israel having backed themselves in a corner and will have no other choice but to respond militarily. Maybe, that is where China and Russia wants the US to find itself, and they are using this Iran crisis as an excuse to pull up the curtain on their grand finale? It is certainly an interesting time.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
China continues in its path - Latest news:

At Nuclear Summit, Hu Avoids Discussing Efforts Against Iran

online.wsj.com...

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   

China says military ties with US still suspended

Military exchanges between China and the United States are still suspended, a People's Liberation Army spokesman said Tuesday, despite a recent warming of relations between the countries.

China cut military ties with the United States earlier this year after the Obama administration said it would go ahead with a planned sale of $6.4 billion in military hardware to Taiwan.

Read more: www.sfgate.com.../n/a/2010/04/13/international/i022957D95.DTL#ixzz0l5F2DLNN

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I would imagine the US has made assurances to China/Russia that, if Israel attacks, they'll keep the oil flowing east. Sure, China doesn't want its resources jeopardized - but that's better than being wiped out in a nuclear exchange!

Getting scary, huh?

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
If Isreal goes to war with Iran, they are going to cut all oil shipments and probably make strikes at other oil fields as to disrupt the flow of such to other parts of the world. It is what I would do, and then sit back as the world scrambles for oil till things calm down. Iran is betting that China and Russia will block and veto any sanctions that will hamper there goals and prosperity. But something tells me the first time they bite the hand that feeds them, as it were, they may find those veto's turn to yeses real quick.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
No facts from China accepting any sanctions...

China to send Iran gasoline

SINGAPORE — A state-owned Chinese refiner plans to ship 30,000 metric tons of gasoline to Iran after European traders halted shipments ahead of possible new UN sanctions, according to Singapore ship brokers.

Beijing has growing commercial and political ties with Iran and has resisted US pressure for sanctions to press Teheran to abandon its nuclear program. Chinese officials say the country is entitled to energy trade.

Unipec, the trading arm of China Petroleum & Chemical Corp., or Sinopec, plans to load the oil tanker Hongbo with the gasoline Thursday in Singapore, said the brokers, who asked not to be identified further to avoid jeopardizing customer relations.

They said the tanker will likely go directly to Iran.

www.jpost.com...

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
There is a lot I don't like about the Chinese government but on this issue I feel they are handling it the right way with a cool headed and pragmatic approach. Would Iran with nukes really be that much more of a threat to China than N. Korea, Pakistan or India? I doubt it. Anyway it's unlikely sanctions would stop them from building nukes if they really wanted them badly.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
No oil sanctions, no nuclear sanctions... Washington ends up with - Nothing.

Sanctions no threat to Iranian nuclear plant launch - Russian MP

Possible new sanctions against Iran should not affect the launch date for the country's first nuclear power plant, a senior Russian member of parliament said on Wednesday.

The United States and other Western countries suspect Iran of developing nuclear weapons under the cover of a civilian nuclear energy program and are seeking new sanctions following Iran's move to enrich uranium to 20%.

"New sanctions will have no impact on the timeframe for putting the [Bushehr nuclear power plant] into operation," said Leonid Slutsky, first deputy head of the State Duma International Affairs Committee.

en.rian.ru...

I think this will not please USA/Israel in their goals... Nuclear materials and oil still flowing to Iran by SCO countries.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
That is where China lacks the ability to become a superpower. They depend on import for a lot of energy. If the US were to go to war, they would simply cut the supply lines and watch China fall. As for US, they have their own oil reserve and Canada's.

People don't realize that the Chinese are dependent on the US market. Who else are they going to pass off their garbage made things to? If we were to cut ties, you could be assured that those cheap products will stay in China. The people will become hungry than a revolution will occur because there isn't enough money to pass around.

Russia is our only problem. As long as we got NATO and big players in the EU we are good.

As for the Iranian 'problem', I think we should allow them the ability to have a nuclear facility. If they bomb Israel, they are the ones who will suffer economically and physically. But I am sure that the Zionists are wanting the Iranians to bomb Israel. That way they could say "I told you so" and "We have been persecuted our whole lives", to gain even more power. It worked in WW2 and it will work again.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
GO supporters of iran good on yas ..

nO RUSSIA and china will allow attack as we promissed to not stop the russian or chinese supply just until we dig in ..grow up if we attack iran its ww3 simple ,
or we attack and build even bigger embassy in new green zone bigger than iraq which we will leave as soon as we depopulate oh i forgot we done with that hardly any iraqis left ,,weres my nwest drink..
#in merica should be walled off period

[edit on 4/14/2010 by dashar]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by JanusFIN
"Medvedev: Global Consensus on Iran Energy Sanctions Unlikely"
www1.voanews.com...

www.democracynow.org...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join