It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Security chip added to the Swiss Army knife with Self-Destruct!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Aritcle(s):

The Victorinox Swiss Army Brands people, taking a page from the "Mission: Impossible" archives, recently introduced a new thumb drive in London that fits into some models of its multitool knife. The memory chip in the drive, called the Secure Pro and available in sizes up to 32 gigabytes, self-destructs if any attempt is made to tamper with it.

These people are serious. It is the most drastic security measure on the device, but there are others, including a fingerprint identity function that's aligned with a thermal sensor. In other words, the thing won't work if the finger is detached from the finger-owner's body.

Source: www.denverpost.com...

Naturally the information you store on the stick is encrypted, but there are also physical security measures (and not just the fact that holders are inherently also carrying a knife). It can only be operated by the owner thanks to a fingerprint scanner… and a heat and oxygen sensor makes sure that finger is still attached to a living person. Any attempt to physically break into the stick triggers a self-destruct mechanism which ” irrevocably burns its CPU and memory chip.”

Source: tech.blorge.com...:%20/2010/03/26/swiss-army-knife-offers-ultimate-usb-security/

Well, have fun with this for those who can affort it. I have to ask, if they can put this tech in a knife and mass sell/produce-why can they or aren't they with guns?

Seems to me like it would be a doable task-to make a gun inoperatble if someone other than the intended user got a hold of it. I know some tech is out there but not to to general public.

I wonder what the Swiss will incoporate into that little thing next? Maybe a gun?

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
So someone decides to be nosy with your important information.
Then you lose it all?!
I'd rather it be a password, let alone the warm finderprint idea, isn't that good enough?

Unless of course the information could start WWIII, then destroy the info by all means.

All I really want for my Swiss Army knife is a new spring for the scissors, my thumbnail gets sore as a nesting pivot point for the scissor handle.

The spring self destructed one day.

[edit on 13-4-2010 by Toadmund]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Any attempt to physically break into the stick triggers a self-destruct mechanism which ” irrevocably burns its CPU and memory chip.

If they collected information from the computer from the challenger space shuttle distaster, (I think it was challenger) couldn't infomation be retrieved from this even after self-destruction. Or is the newer system for destruction even better now, than what the computers went through on challenger (the explosion & the resulting fires from the rocket fuel?

I know the average person doesn't have acess to this sort of technology to do the info retrieval, but say it was police/fbi etc trying to crack the problem.

[edit on 13-4-2010 by acrux]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
How do you know if its affordable or not, the article didnt mention a price tag, unfortunately journalistic standards everywhere seem to fall short these days.

I think it is a nice idea, but I misunderstood initially.

I thought the self destruct would mean the entire knife becomes a detonation device if you are in a tight spot.

Here is the swiss army knife website. I could not find the knife on sale yet, but there are pdf documents and word docs referencing this product if you search for it.

Even at a couple hundred bucks, thats affordable, in terms of high end gear.

Now they need to start working on MY idea!

www.swissarmy.com...

[edit on 13-4-2010 by hotbakedtater]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   

In other words, the thing won't work if the finger is detached from the finger-owner's body.

No problem that thirty seconds in a microwave won't fix...or if you have no microwave,you could just warm the severed finger up by holding it under your armpit for a while...

[edit on 13/4/2010 by Silcone Synapse]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Little bit of a different slant on secure data isn't it? It makes a certain kind of sense these days - Portable, carried on your person, encrypted, a dash of protection against unauthorized search and seizure. Good idea.

Probably won't be too long before data devices are included along with computers in warrantless border searches. Seems like it would be great to store all your passwords and financials, knife concept makes it a bit suspicious for air travel.

gj

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
well as a photographer i like the idea i recently had some one still a jump drive containing about 400 dollars worth of photos i had taken and posted them for sale on a place where you sell adult photo sets to adult website owners. luckily my sets were watermarked and i was able to get them taken down but it would have been nice if they couldn't use it in first place.

new topics

top topics

join