It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook game serves malvertisements

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Hundreds of users of Farm Town have reported seeing the ads, which falsely claim the user's PC is infected and can only be fixed by buying and running the anti-virus software being advertised, according to this forum. Farm Town developer SlashKey warned users to ignore the ads but failed to suspend third-party adverts, much to the anger of security experts.

The Register

i knew there was a reason why i don't dig games like this. i'm posting this here to give my fellow ATS/BTS members a heads-up, just in case. why couldn't people use their time to plant/build real farms instead of playing games like Farm Ville and Farm Town?

[edit on 4.13.10 by toreishi]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Yup, don't know if it was from Farmtown, but I did get an infection from Facebook at one time. Message started down at the bottom of the screen, and at some point I ended up with a with one of those fake antivirus infections.

Ctrl+Alt+Del if you ever get the message from an unknown virus program telling you that you are infected. Once you get the task manager up, end that application. Then you want to use a program like Malwarebytes to scan your computer for infections.

Do not click the "X" to close the box, do not click on any button on the box warning. Even the "X" can infect you sometimes.

Troy

new topics

join