It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bodybuilders, Boxers, Fitness Fanatics = UNITE !!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
After having a breif conversation earlier about supplements. I wondered if anyone esle on ATS was into lifting weights, or any other competetive sports.

We can share our programs, best/worst supplements, and any tricks of the trade you've picked up along the way.

Also feel free to show off how much you Bench or Deadlift If you must, anything goes !!!

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I've been listing weights off and on for at least ten years, .... mostly off !! lol.

After years of research, trial and error, I think my program is the best out there to be honest with you. Using the most effecient excercises, planning my routine so the body never over/under trains, and is in a constant state of growth.... using good supplements, at the right time.

However right now I'm in a Boxing stage, and gave up weights in favor of the heavy bag. For overall health and cardio.

I'm currently taking:

Whey protein - of course
creatine
glutamine
lecithin
l-carnitine
Nitrix - NO booster
Powerfull - GH booster
resveratol.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
When it comes to sports I am a bit of a junkie.
I used to love weights but haven't really done much in the past year.
I don't take supplements of any kind.If I do then it is greens plus.Its just alot of vitamins and minerals.
My trick for lifting weights is,believe it or not,I drink half of a beer.I have found that for myself...I get into an aggressive mindset that gives me a little bit more baboom when lifting.Its kinda like my own steroid.

I have done alot of sports in the past but in the past few years I have been into long distance cycling.
If I had to name every sport I have been into then it might be a bit of a long list so I will just stick to what I am doing lately.

For me there is no better accomplishment then when you are on a 50 or 70 km trip and you get half way there and hit the wall and think you might not be able to continue yet nobody is around to save your dumb ass so you have to keep going til you are done.
When you make it to your destination...you feel like you have conquered the world.
One of my most memorable trips was a round trip of 170km with about 40lbs of camping gear on my back.

When it comes to weights I lift according to what I want.
If I am trying to get bulkier then I stick with heavier weight and low reps.When I mean lower reps I mean its heavy to the point that you can't do more then 5.
If I am trying to get lean then I go for more reps and lower weight.

I sometimes like to shock the muscles as well.
Do some real heavy weight and then immediately drop the weight to a lower amount and do as much as you can with it.

I love this thread Instellaburst!!!

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

I know nothing about weights, excercise, supplements or any of that stuff, and havent been in a gym in 20 years, so I can't help out here, I'm afraid, but to quote a very famous tagline...I can watch and not take part.

So please carry on, gentlemen, and I will....observe....um....stuff.....if you don't mind. *lurks quietly in a corner*

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I used to be a very avid bodybuilder in my youth, but have found that since I am now 54, the muscles that were once easy to gain, now take a bit more work.

I have figured out that my testosterone and the like have diminished over the years as it tends to do, so am trying to increase it as much as I can.

So I am trying out a testosterone booster and will see how that goes.

Here is what I am taking at the present time:

Zeus Test Booster
Kre-Alkalyn Creatine
Omega 3-6-9
Green tea extract

and of course Whey isolate

Here is a great site that gives reviews of all of the supplements out there. There are others of course, but since this one doesn't sell anything, I find it unbiased and within the T&C's.
Supplement Reviews

[edit on 4/13/2010 by tribewilder]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

*Joins Cait in the bleachers, hands her popcorn so we can enjoy the show. Keep working out lads, pretend we aren't here..

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
hey guys and girls i have tried alot of work outs over the years but not alot of supliments. im more in to getting wripped and toned then getting huge and bulky. i find that working out first thing on a morning before a shower and last thing at night really helps.

i eat constant crap to be fair i should take my diet more serious but i have allways liked eating what i wanna eat. i am pretty toned at the min as i have allways been active i spent five years in the army and 4 of them i was boxing alot i only last year left and have kept up with the fitness.

does anyone know of any suppliments that can help me loose a little more weight???? i dont wanna over do it cos im not that fat now but im after loosing it between the abs to make me more defined

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

Ooohh...thank you Zazz....*snuggles up*. Somebody go fetch Givenmay...she should be here too!
And we need stuff....like cameras, tape measures, buckets (for the drool). *gets comfy*

And yeah.....guys....pictures, or it didn't happen!

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

hahaha kinky

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I have decided to try to push people to take this instead of supplements.
www.health-n-energy.com...
I VERY STRONGLY reccomend this product as it is natural and organic and gives the body all of what we are supposed to get in a day but never do.

I have even heard doctors reccomending this to cancer patients.

I cannot say enough good things about this product which is why it is the only thing i will put into my body.

If your goal is to gain muscle then you have to eat every 3 hours and treat it like your job and duty.
If your goal is to lose weight then burn as much calories as you can and cut off the foods that are white.(my philosophy)
Breads,pastas,potatoes and things like that.
Fish,rice and chicken are exempted.
Good eating habits are the best supplement which is why that should be the first step before taking anything.

With 3 spoonfuls in a glass of water you get the following...

Soy Lecithin 2126 mg.

Organic alfalfa, barley, wheat grass, red beet:1350 mg.

Hawaiian Spirulina Pacifica:1356 mg.

Apple Pectin Fiber:1350 mg.

Chlorella (cracked cell):350 mg.

Organic Soy sprouts:350 mg.

Brown rice germ: 350 mg.

Sprouted barley malt: 350 mg

Vitamin D: 118 IU

Seven non-dairy Probiotic cultures:200 mg.

Royal jelly (5% 10-HDA):150mg.

Bee pollen: 150 mg.

Acerola Berry Juice powder: 115 mg.

Nova Scotia Dulse: 20 mg.

Dunaliella Salina: 40 mg

Licorice root: 60 mg.

Milk Thistle ( 85.6% silymarin): 60 mg

Siberian Ginseng: 60 mg.

Enchinacea Angustiflora: 60 mg

Astragalus membranacaeus: 60 mg

Ginkgo Biloba: 20 mg.

Japanese Green Tea (60% polyphenols):20 mg.

European Bilberry (25% anthocyanides): 10 mg.

Full spectrum Grape extract:20 mg.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun

If your goal is to gain muscle then you have to eat every 3 hours and treat it like your job and duty.
If your goal is to lose weight then burn as much calories as you can and cut off the foods that are white.(my philosophy)
Breads,pastas,potatoes and things like that.
Fish,rice and chicken are exempted.
Good eating habits are the best supplement which is why that should be the first step before taking anything.

This is the best advice by far in this thread to date. Sometimes, one forgets to put in the basics figuring that everyone would know this, but alas, it is a very common oversight.

A supplement is exactly that, just an add-on to the diet that you are already on. Too many people figure they can do everything just with a supplement and eat nothing but junk, and then cannot figure out why they aren't getting any results other than a lighter pocketbook.

The main supplement I would suggest is whey protein as it is easily taken, cheap, and very necessary to keep one in an anabolic state, which is the goal of anyone looking to add muscle and mass.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Ok after reading all these posts I will chime in.

I was never an avid "body builder" growing up, but as I got into my early 20's...

I decided its better to have muscle than not.
So I lifted for 4 years to put on weight.
Went from 165ish to about 205 in 3 years and looked big.

My secret? Chicken. Milk and lots of chicken. Tuna and artificial crab meat.
All these things have good proteins and low fat.
Milk these days has HUGE amounts of growth hormones in it that they use to pump up the size of cows. Just imagine what it does to the human body if consumed daily.

Water is a key ingredient too.

I used to buy supplements until I realized I was spending entirely too much on my looks and not paying attention to the risk of losing the bulk, once I stopped taking supplements.

I don't recommend supplements, although there is a HUGE market for them and they do have good results. Too much caffeine in them.
But, in contrast, you can obtain just as good of results with just diet alone.

The Human body is an amazing machine.

At one time, I was bench pressing 1.5x my weight and curling half of it.
That was my goal. I achieved it.

Then I came to the conclusion that the body I desired was un-obtainable without the use of steroids.

So, I will maintain my lifting routine with just natural components and be happy that I am in shape, and I'm okay with that.

I did notice the extreme competitiveness in the gym with other "meatheads".
Its ashame, but the bigger I got, the more I "fit in".
Weird.

Oh well, I will continue to just maintain strength and leave the mirrors in the bathroom.

I guess I'm not the average weight lifter.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

its good that your not like most bodybuilders! because the big guys i know are all idiots. swinging there weight about and leaning half the way out of cars. wearing vests all year round even when its winter. these guys i have no time for its like ok your big we know your big you no your big why intimedate the smaller guys to make your self feel big so i say stay the way you are and dont try fit in whth them sort and believe me if your big we will all be able to see it you wont need to show it.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by skillz1]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by skillz1

i eat constant crap to be fair i should take my diet more serious but i have allways liked eating what i wanna eat. i am pretty toned at the min as i have allways been active i spent five years in the army and 4 of them i was boxing alot i only last year left and have kept up with the fitness.

does anyone know of any suppliments that can help me loose a little more weight???? i dont wanna over do it cos im not that fat now but im after loosing it between the abs to make me more defined

There are lots of supplements that will take away most of the subcutaneous fat layer which will then show your abs much more. The problem is that you will need to maintain around a 1 percent body fat in order to have them show the way that you would like.

Bodybuilders who are not in a contest phase will not appear as "cut" at all like you see them in the magazines. The reason is that it is dam near impossible to maintain this percentage of body fat over a period of time, most of the time they are at least 5 to 6 percent body fat.

Also you would not be able to eat whatever you wanted and would have to subscribe to a very strict regime of diet.

Don't ever let anyone tell you that they have always had a visible 6 pack and it's no big deal. It is a big deal, and many have said 6 pack hiding under a layer of fat. (you can see this in a lot of before and after photos in the magazines, all they have done is cut down their body fat)

So before you spend any money on supplements for this, you would have to make sure that you would be able to stick to a very strict diet. Otherwise, you would just be wasting your money.

In my opinion anyways......

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
It's funny, everyones personal philosophy on health is comparable religion. Everyones is different yet they swear their method is the best.

I've had some of my friends who know absoloutely nothing about nutrition try to convince me that a certain supplement does this or that. They look at what the advertising say's and not the labels.

What really pisses me off these days are those commercials for these so called " super fat burners" which are now available WITHOUT prescription !!! oh my !!. their bullcrap, and just large doses of caffeine usually.

SKILLZ1: the best fat loss stack IMO is still the ECA stack. Ephedrine, Caffeine, Aspirin or Synephrine. I don't think its available in stores, but it's still around online. Another easy way to get rid of extra fat is the dreaded low carb diet.

You'll feel like crap the first 3 days, but after your body adjusts its possible to lose as much as 5 lbs in a week. and another positive side effect is this diet produces an effect on the body as close as steroids as you can get. Your GH and testosterone will be through the roof. The last time I was on it I was working out 3 to 4 times a day and never getting sore. So it helps build muscle as much as it helps burn fat.

DRUMSRFUN: I love green supplements, all the nutrition without all those pesky greens. Although most people cannot stomach the taste , these are very good for you, and produce noticeable effects.

I'm taking this stuff called ChiaPro right now, ..... sounds familiar doesnt it ?? do you remember ChiaPet's ??? well it turns out those seeds are somewhat of a superfood, so now they've ground them up for our consumption. I tried it because it was on sale, but the effects are so great I ordered 3 more bottles, better than any greens supplement I've tried.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

In case anyone wants to take a peek... chiapro.net...
Pretty interesting and thats the first time i have ever heard of it.

To quote you...It's funny, everyones personal philosophy on health is comparable religion. Everyones is different yet they swear their method is the best.

I totally agree which is why I have always said what works for me might not work for you so you always have to do what is good for YOUR body and you have to listen to your body.
Your workout should always be tailored to whats good for YOU.
We all have different metabolisms and different body types.

I can't do a Brock Lesnar workout but i can sure do a DrumsRfun workout.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by DrumsRfun]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I used to lay Bricks on site, then go Kickbioxing and alternate that with weight sessions in the Gym.
The thing to remember is that the first few pounds lost is just excess water, which can easily be put back on again.
I always used to do pyramid training in the Gym.
And for cutting up, id do reverse pyramid trainning. Id do an explosive set first of about 10 reps of just under my max then id drop the weight down and then double the reps. Then Id repeat until failiure.

The worse thing for me was maintaining a balanced high protein diet.
I love my pizzas and other junk food to much!!

With the recommended suppliments ive seen, the Green health product mentiond, these suppliments are everywhere. You can even get wellman which is the same.
What id find, its just the same as drinking water. Keep hydrated and your body will adjust. Plus its a lot cheaper.

I had a bad experience with fat burners which ill also share, the caffine, L-carnite, Gurana cocktail was mental! There was more in it yet I Cant remmember what they were.
But what i found is that any exercise that i did, even if i Walked up stairs my heart would start beating with such an intensity I thought I was having a heart attack!
And like I said earlier, I also did kickboxing and tacking a fat burner at the time made me sweat so much that when i was doing press-ups my hands kept slipping out from underneath me.
Anyway, needless to say, I binned the supplement.

Best advice has allready been said I recon.
Just try and find out your own workout that best suits your needs and goals. Some supplements are better than others, yet always beware of the effects on your health.
Also with exercise you cant spot reduce. Targeting your ABS with millions of sit-ups and cruntches wont work, also it can make your gut seem larger because your abs are muscles too and all strength exercises increase size and appearence.
I usually found id lose weight from my abs last. Other people may be diffrent though, but thats just me.

new topics

top topics

join