It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sandia complex photograph

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
A recent issue of the Sandia lab news thoughtfully provided a nice photograph of the complex. Well, better than anything I shot from the border. I yanked the photo out of the pdf and cleaned it up a bit:

Sandia complex at the Tonopah Test Range

This is the control tower for the Sandia tests, not to be confused with the Tonopah Test Range control tower. If you are not familiar with the Sandia operations, they have a network of very high resolution tracking cameras distributed around the range. Per the last document I found, they were still using fikm, but that may have changed. There are a few scenarios for the instrumentation. Sometimes they just observe a plane in flight. If that is the case, the plane orbits over the range. I've seen this done for maybe a 90 minute stretch. They also film drop tests and I suppose missile launches. The tower appears to have a number of microwave dishes on it, presumably going to remote instrumentation.

Sandia tower

The water tower is known to hold a few microwave dishes. In addtion, there is something on top, but this shot isn't clear enough to indicate what it is. Obviously with this being an airpor, there is a beacon on the tower, but I think there is other gear as well.

Sandia water tower

The Sandia article can be found here:
Sandia news

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by gariac

Hi gariac,

Another great find. The photos themselves are interesting - especially the 'technological water tower' but I found the article even more interesting. Didn't realise that the facility had been under threat for so long and was dependent on old equipment.

Also interesting to read general background - numbers of personnel deployed (then and now).

Peace!

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Cool photo. For a second I thought it was a setup for a bombing range

So when you say/state that they observe a plane in flight, does that mean any plane? Sorry if its a dumb question, but Im really curious since I never heard of this place before.

And whats this place used for?

And btw, whats that object at the far right of the second mountain (did that make any sense?)

[edit on 13-4-2010 by Oozii]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
That object is in the Air its unidentified and its flying! so only one way of saying it a UFO!

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by DCDAVECLARKE
That object is in the Air its unidentified and its flying! so only one way of saying it a UFO!

Haha
I shoulda known!!!!!!! Very well put together explanation I should say.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

Hi Oozii,

The link provided probably tells you (some of) what they are doing now.

It is just to the south east of the Tonopah Test Range Airport (an AFB from where stealth aircraft were based and initially flown).

Link below for TTR from Wikipedia;

en.wikipedia.org...

Also Google Earth for the TTR Airport.

PEace!

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Ugh wiki, the source of well, whatever.

Check out this page:
TTR odds and ends
There is a photo of a drop test on the page. Further down, you can see the orbit data from some very old test document I found. The TTR even did the drop test for the F111 "saucer separation".

The range has camera stations. The orbit is a route that is set up so that the range can photograph the aircraft. They also have long rang optics similar to Edwards and Vandenberg, i.e. any place that does missile testing.

I have no idea the quality of the tracking gear they current use since I haven't found any documents later than the mid-90s, when they were still using film.

The White Sands website has a photo of the old cinethodiltes,
white sands

I have more TTR data here. The top links open new pages. The next batch of links are anchors. Quite a few mission statements for the TTR are on the page, but they are USAF uses for the range, not Sandias.
TTR

While I think 99.9999% of youtube is horse droppings, but there are a few declassified videos from the TTR on the website. You can watch the originals at the Atomic Museum in Las Vegas. It is in the "reading room" and free.

Here is one of the films:
Tonopah Test Range outdoor laboratory
It is a mixture of different tests, which makes the video kind of confusing.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

The drop inert bombs at the TTR. That is they test flight dynamics, not explosive capability. South of Site-4 they drop the real thing. You can see the clouds of dust from the viewing locations near the TTR, but not the ground contact. Most of the live bombing is done along route 95, i.e. the west side of the range, though that range near the Tikaboo Valley (61) can be hot.

new topics

top topics

join