It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Does Obama Bow Like a Weakling?

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Matrix Rising
Man, Obama sycophants are worse than Bush sycophants.

I remember some Bush followers were the same way.

Bowing to communist leaders and leaving allies downstairs why you eat dinner is just silly.

He can show the guy respect by shaking his hand.

I pray you never go to The Empire of Japan. You would be banished and banned in a day. It is a culture issue as for others to respect and recognize American culture respect for others must be shown as well. BTW, disrespecting the traditions or culture is grounds in some nations for not only arrest, but jailing and deportation as well. Learn before you speak.

Even though Japan has no military you do not want to p off the world by disrespecting their cultures because you would not want it to be done to you so why do it to others.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by auraura

If you scanned the last few pages, you'd see where you are entirely off base with a majority of your comments.

Answer these questions:

1. Where did Obama perform the bow mentioned in the OP's post?
2. What are the customs regarding bowing of the country's leader he was bowing to?
3. What does the US State Department protocol office state is proper for a US President when greating foreign heads of state?

I find it highly unlikely that you've spent any time at all reading the last few pages (scanned or not). Your comments are strictly opinion based and are entirely devoid of any factual evidence.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

Really? And what exactly was Japan's reaction to Obama's bow to the Emperor last November? I'll give you a hint...see my post back on page 16 of this thread.

Just how was he diplomatic? Was a treaty being negotiated that we don't know about? Polite..perhaps, diplomatic...no.

[edit on 13-4-2010 by Freenrgy2]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freenrgy2

Really? And what exactly was Japan's reaction to Obama's bow to the Emperor last November? I'll give you a hint...see my post back on page 16 of this thread.

Just how was he diplomatic? Was a treaty being negotiated that we don't know about? Polite..perhaps, diplomatic...no.

A Treaty or arms arrangement does not nessecarily have to be on the agenda to warrant the bow. Most domestically was up in arms trying to demonize and cut down Obama for adhering to the culture of the host nation.

It's like if you entre a Japanese person's home you must take off your shoes and leave them to the left of the front door. All homes in Japan have a little waterproof box for which to place you shoes in. Hence why when you go to a Japanese restaurant domestically where you sit on the floor they have a spot designated to place your footware. They require you to remove your footware before entering the restaurant or else they will not allow to admittance.

The Japanese people accepted it and did not take it personally.

It can't be one way or the highway in cases like this. For someone to show respect to you, you must first show respect to them.

Domestically a handshake is an accepted greeting and encouraged, unfortunately in other parts of the world that is considered a disrespect.

It's not a matter of submitting power or decreeing that the Emperor is somehow more powerful or "better" then Obama. Just a matter os respect.

[edit on 13-4-2010 by TheImmaculateD1]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mryanbrown

All of those things you listed are important and I agree with you 100%.

However, they are not the subject of this thread now are they. For the purposes of this thread, my goal is to present factual evidence that bypasses the knee-jerk reaction that is so often displayed when someone criticizes Obama.

I can have my opinion, but I'd rather back it up with facts. The reason this page is umpteen pages long is everyone is putting their 2 cents in but haven't spent an ounce of time looking up information to prove their case. It's the "I'm right, You're wrong" mentality.

And maybe this is a revealing thread as it displays how little people actually know and how much they rely on second-hand information or personal opinions to make thier decision. I guess this is in some way a reflection of what happens at every election. People rely on what they hear or what they're told instead of finding out the facts about who to cast their vote for.

Maybe a thread should be started that is titled..."How many people jumped on the Obama bandwagon and are now disappointed."

The one thing Obama did for me is that he made me an independent.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1

A Treaty or arms arrangement does not nessecarily have to be on the agenda to warrant the bow. Most domestically was up in arms trying to demonize and cut down Obama for adhering to the culture of the host nation.

It's like if you entre a Japanese person's home you must take off your shoes and leave them to the left of the front door. All homes in Japan have a little waterproof box for which to place you shoes in. Hence why when you go to a Japanese restaurant domestically where you sit on the floor they have a spot designated to place your footware. They require you to remove your footware before entering the restaurant or else they will not allow to admittance.

Way to dodge my question to you. Did you find it yet?

Also, this individual was Chinese, not Japanese. Is there a difference regarding the custom of bowing between these two countries? Certainly!

Friend, I say again that you haven't the foggiest clue as to what you are talking about.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Way to dodge my question to you. Did you find it yet?

Also, this individual was Chinese, not Japanese. Is there a difference regarding the custom of bowing between these two countries? Certainly!

Friend, I say again that you haven't the foggiest clue as to what you are talking about.

From Wikipedia :
en.wikipedia.org...

Bows are the traditional greeting in East Asia, particularly in Japan and Korea. However, bowing is not reserved only for greetings. Bowing is a gesture of respect. Different bows are used for apologies and gratitude, to express different emotions, humility, sincerity, remorse, or deference, and in various traditional arts and religious ceremonies.

Basic bows originate at the waist and are performed with the back straight and the hands at the sides (for men) or clasped in front (for women), and with the eyes down. Generally, the longer and deeper the bow, the stronger the emotion or the greater the difference in social standing.

Bows can be generally divided into three main types: informal, formal, and very formal. Informal bows are made at about a fifteen degree angle and more formal bows at about thirty degrees. Very formal bows are deeper. In extreme cases a kneeling bow is performed, which may be so deep that the forehead touches the floor. There is an extremely complex etiquette surrounding bowing, including the length and depth of bow, and the appropriate response. For example, if the other person maintains his or her bow for longer than expected (generally about two or three seconds), it is polite to bow again, upon which one may receive another bow in return, often leading to an exchange of progressively lighter bows.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   

From Wikipedia :
en.wikipedia.org...

You seem to have missed this:

Bowing in Mainland China and Taiwan:
The kowtow was traditionally the highest sign of reverence in Han Chinese culture but its use has been extremely rare since the collapse of Imperial China. In many situations, the standing bow has replaced the kowtow. However, in modern Chinese societies, bowing is not as formalized as in Japan and Korea. Bowing is normally reserved for occasions such as marriage ceremonies[1] and as a gesture of respect for the deceased[2]. In both the People's Republic of China and the Republic of China, three bows are customarily executed at funerals including state funerals [3], ancestral worship, and at special ceremonies in commemoration of pater patriae Sun Yat-sen[4][5].

As in Japan and Korea, public figures may bow formally to apologise. Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao bowed and offered his condolences to stranded railway passengers[6]; Taiwanese Defence Minister Chen Chao-min bowed in apology for a gaffe concerning the shooting of former President Chen Shui-bian in 2004[7]. However, this is by no means an everyday practice.

en.wikipedia.org...

chinesepod.com...
(read some of the comments from the Chinese people themselves)

Bowing is not a customary way of greeting people in China.
A handshake is the standard way of greeting people even heads of state.
Obama did not bow because he was honoring their customs.

He did it for more personal reasons.

[edit on 4/13/2010 by Sparky63]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sparky63

From Wikipedia :
en.wikipedia.org...

You seem to have missed this:

Bowing in Mainland China and Taiwan:
The kowtow was traditionally the highest sign of reverence in Han Chinese culture but its use has been extremely rare since the collapse of Imperial China. In many situations, the standing bow has replaced the kowtow. However, in modern Chinese societies, bowing is not as formalized as in Japan and Korea. Bowing is normally reserved for occasions such as marriage ceremonies[1] and as a gesture of respect for the deceased[2]. In both the People's Republic of China and the Republic of China, three bows are customarily executed at funerals including state funerals [3], ancestral worship, and at special ceremonies in commemoration of pater patriae Sun Yat-sen[4][5].

As in Japan and Korea, public figures may bow formally to apologise. Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao bowed and offered his condolences to stranded railway passengers[6]; Taiwanese Defence Minister Chen Chao-min bowed in apology for a gaffe concerning the shooting of former President Chen Shui-bian in 2004[7]. However, this is by no means an everyday practice.

en.wikipedia.org...

chinesepod.com...

Bowing is not a customary way of greeting people in China.
A handshake is the standard way of greeting people even heads of state.
Obama did not bow because he was honoring their customs.

He did it for more personal reasons.

What exactly was he suppose to be apologizing for? Nothing, we don't owe them an apology.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
because he does not know who he is.... Which is another sad thing for me to encumber...

[edit on 13-4-2010 by Bicent76]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   

That my friend is exactly why the bow was inappropriate.
Obama's constant bowing is a weak attempt to deflect the embarrassment of his faux pas of bowing to the Saudi King.

Instead of just admitting he was a noob and that he screwed up he has made conscience effort to make it look like bowing is just the way he shows respect. So now he even bows to despots & tyrants.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
have any of them bowed in return, or is obama the only one bowing? This may have been addressed already and i missed it.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by doublehelix
have any of them bowed in return, or is obama the only one bowing? This may have been addressed already and i missed it.

Look at the pic provided by the op and you clearly see Akhito returning the bow. Just the angle he had to bow was of a shallower degree as not to cause him to bump foreheads with Obama.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
since when does american respect customsof other nations, concidering we are a nation founded on.....

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
This is kind of a ridiculous post. I don't know why it's so popular. Hmm... maybe this is the reason though?

Obama Can't Change

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Obama's bow is not a bow

rather the art of deception

HAARP is at it again...About 300 people have died and others are trapped under rubble in Qinghai province after an earthquake said to be magnitude 6.9, say Chinese media.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Freenrgy2

You wear your political leanings on your sleeve.. it's slightly amusing of course.. but erroneous.

When it comes to Bowing.. it is a matter of "Station" .. it is first and foremost a matter of respect.. you bow to someone showing you respect them and their "Station" .. however, over doing it shows "mocking" not doing it at all shows disrespect, mocking, or ignorance.

When it comes to world leaders they should all bow at the same level.. for instance, the Emperor of Japan would incline at the exact same degree that Obama would, since they are of the same Station (national leaders) .. In this particular case the incline should be a fractional bending of the back and a slight bending of the neck with eye contact being made. This shows equal status. To incline beyond your counterpart, as Obama did, would most likely be seen as ignorance, or else a sign of submission to that particular ruler.

In the West we don't bow, we shake hands. The matter of control in the West is about body placement, and not the degree of incline of the back.. for instance, whenever Bush were to go to a summit, the photograph would almost always shows him on the left hand side with the right hand extended and the other national to the right. There were times when Bush would go to shake someones hand, do a little dance, and end up on the "dominate" side of the hand shaking.. it's a matter of photographical dominance.. especially when it came to Asian countries and Russia. The reason being the left side if what we look at first, and their hand is on top of the others.

Anyways.. There is no if ands or buts about it.. what Obama dose is culturally ignorant.. but, as I say, I simply wonder why he does it..

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Come on man, your just too serious. I see no problem in bowing and showing respect towards others. There's nothing wrong with that.

The world would be a much better place if we all just showed some #ing respect towards each other.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

thats just the point your making about being of equal status , obama isnt the equal of an emperor of japan he is a royal , not a president !

he is the decendant of a blood line stretching back to the beginning of japanese empire

if it was the president of japan then surely it would have been an equal bow , however that was the emperor , im sure obama would have done the same to the queen of england !

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
what is this all about

4.bp.blogspot.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

here is a video on this site hilarious ! at 1.39 ! near the end ! bow verses kissing and holding hands ! brilliant !

www.sodahead.com...://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a81/kos 102/2009/Rogues/nixon-bowing.jpg&q=president%2Bbowing

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20 >>

join