It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Does Obama Bow Like a Weakling?

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I'm amazed that anyone sees bowing as sign of weakness. The only thing I see with Obama bowing when perhaps it isn't culturally correct is the need to get some better protocol advisers.

To those who refer to North Americans when they mean citizens of the U.S., you might remember that the U.S. only accounts for 3/5 of the North American population and the rest of us don't exactly share the all the same views of the world held by many of the posters here.

It makes me laugh when an American tries to tell us what constitutes a constitutional monarchy as headed by Queen Elizabeth II. Were she to try to dissolve the Canadian Parliament contrary to the will of the Canadian public, there would be a pretty fast track towards a Republic. If she were to tell the Canadian Prime Minister to declare war on a country that wasn't in the interests of Canada, he would probably look at her as if she had grown another head and promptly carry on as if she had said nothing.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by yoesse

And this is why the US State Department protocol office does not encourage bowing by the President and why they have not condoned this as protocol for over 200 years, whether it is meant as a sign of respect or not. It is perceived (obviously by not too many on this thread) as being submissive, especially when two heads of state are to be equals with one another. In order for this to truly be viewed as a respectful act, then it would be expected that the other individual bow in similar fashion.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
lol...ok, bush making out with the sauds = good...obama bowing and shaking hands with china = bad

gotcha

Huge diplomatic error...else who knows...some saudi arabians may become angry at the us, hijack our planes, and fly em into buildings

oh wait...

pfft

I don't think the act of bowing is in itself necessarily bad...as long as it is returned. I think this is a making a mountain out of a molehill in fact.

What I find distasteful is bowing to a man who represents a communist totalitarian regime responsible for the deaths of millions of innocent people. I also don't like the fact that Bush was so friendly with the Saudi's either. The actions of Bush & Obama are both reprehensible in my book.

But to be fair, It doesn't really matter what Bush did anymore than it matters what Abe Lincoln did. That's in the past.

Obama is the President now and what he does now, affects the US & it's people.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Are you serious!? So the president being polite some how becomes breaking news???

How absurd.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I am in no way shape or form an Obama humper, but I'm so tired of of people using his middle name to incite anger in the hearts of the ignorant. I think, by now, we all know what his middle name is and the only people that use his middle name are those trying to smear him. I get it, I'm not fond of him either. Personally, I see the president as a puppet of the banks no matter who is in charged. I'm just too jaded to believe there is more than one political party.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
ATS is beginning to surprise me more and more. What is with the ignorance lately? Bowing in China is the same as shaking hands. It's not being weak, it is just being polite.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx
ATS is beginning to surprise me more and more. What is with the ignorance lately? Bowing in China is the same as shaking hands. It's not being weak, it is just being polite.

I think this is the Problem. Bowing is NOT a customary way of greeting someone in China.

chinesepod.com...

Bowing in Mainland China and Taiwan

The kowtow was traditionally the highest sign of reverence in Han Chinese culture but its use has been extremely rare since the collapse of Imperial China. In many situations, the standing bow has replaced the kowtow. However, in modern Chinese societies, bowing is not as formalized as in Japan and Korea. Bowing is normally reserved for occasions such as marriage ceremonies[1] and as a gesture of respect for the deceased[2]. In both the People's Republic of China and the Republic of China, three bows are customarily executed at funerals including state funerals [3], ancestral worship, and at special ceremonies in commemoration of pater patriae Sun Yat-sen[4][5].

As in Japan and Korea, public figures may bow formally to apologise. Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao bowed and offered his condolences to stranded railway passengers[6]; Taiwanese Defence Minister Chen Chao-min bowed in apology for a gaffe concerning the shooting of former President Chen Shui-bian in 2004[7]. However, this is by no means an everyday practice.[citation needed]

en.wikipedia.org...

I hope this clears this up.

[edit on 4/13/2010 by Sparky63]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sparky63

Originally posted by Phlynx

I think this is the Problem. Bowing is NOT a customary way of greeting someone in China.

chinesepod.com...

I hope this clears this up.

Even if it's not, who cares? It was out of respect. Why do so many folks care about what Obama does?

Focus on his handling of the economy and foreign policies, not how he bows or who has a beer with. We love tearing the man apart for the stupidest reasons, I swear.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

What do you want him to do ??? walk up to the Chinese President and smack him in the face ??? Humbleness is a virtue, and bowing a chinese traditional greeting. If you want to hate on Obama at least find something better than this. Whats next, a thread about Obama's pimp limp.

So why didn't the Chinese President return the same gesture? I thought bowing is a traditional Chinese greeting, then the Chinese president should have followed suit.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Funny.

The president of united states showing that he is not ignorant, and actually knows something else than the ways of the country he represents and what happens? People want to flame him. No wonder a lot of people outside the US thinks that americans are self-centered and very, very ignorant.
I for one, think these threads are stupid, ignorant; and shouldn't be in ATS.
Why? Because these threads are useless. I thought the goal was to be less ignorant, not enforcing it. In case the OP didn't know; bowing in china is like shaking hands in the US; It's a way to greet people and show some respect.

To the OP, I give
for trying to make such a big deal out of this. Shame on you!

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Klavier

Did you even read the post just three above yours?

It is not just like shaking hands and certainly not an everyday thing with the Chinese. And if Obama knew as much as you suggest regarding customs of other countries, then he would have performed it correctly to begin with.

I agree that this is silly to argue about. The way I look at it is that he's created a new bow altogether (combination of bow and handshake).

Maybe they should call it the O-bow-ma.

P.S. Can you feel it? I can. This thread is starting to die.

[edit on 13-4-2010 by Freenrgy2]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klavier
Funny.

The president of united states showing that he is not ignorant, and actually knows something else than the ways of the country he represents and what happens?....In case the OP didn't know; bowing in china is like shaking hands in the US; It's a way to greet people and show some respect.

To the OP, I give
for trying to make such a big deal out of this. Shame on you!

Perhaps you are unaware that bowing is not a customary form of greeting in China.
Bowing to a Chinese person because they are Asian is akin to holding up your hand and saying , "How" to a native American.
It is not culturally correct.

Obama knows this this but bows anyway for personal reasons directly related to his faux pas of when bowing to the Saudi King. This is my humble opinion.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by piddles

Sure, call on the "guys" to bail you out. Why don't you let me know?
Just like a typical wannabe gang banger. Call on the rest of the hood
to come to your rescue. Wow. What a cheese !! Calling on the rest of
the unknown planet on here so you can get your LAST WORD.

[edit on 13-4-2010 by endtimer]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
It really doesn't matter

If he didn't bow, the right would be screaming that he is being rude to leaders of the world and making us look like elitist arses.

You cant "win" with them, so just ignore their fake outrage. Its still just a bitter pill they wont swallow called defeat.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Matrix Rising

www.chicagonow.com

And for the award for the bowing-est president evah goes to: Barack Hussein Obama. Give him a round of applause, folks.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen and Democrats, too, this most supplicating of all president is at it again, bowing to the Chinese in a recent meeting. What is wrong with this man?

Here are the "best hits" of our weakling president lowering himself and our nation in front of kings, tyrants and foreigners the world over...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Keep in mind all of your complaints and epithets when we all remember the recent President Bush kissing the Saudi King...several times. It's all about custom and keeping friends. ESPECIALLY KEEPING FRIENDS...whose trade, resources, alliances, or money America needs or TO WHOM AMERICA OWES HUMONGOUS DEBT. And why does America owe such big debt...because Americans like cheap foreign goods (Walmart, Costco, Home Depot, etc).

Let's get serious - America is deep in it.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Look. The President represents us all. He is bowing for each and every one of us since we share in the (un)balance of trade with China and since China has so obligingly bought our IOU's.

Not to sound harsh, but Don't you get it that America, because of our wars, our love of accumulating stuff, our outlandish energy consumption, our waste (packaging is one of our biggest consumer sectors), our internal worship of luxury spending and our general feeling the world serves us, ...America is down trending.

America is now in a debt position where we should all show the world big, wide smiles...else we all might live to see a reverse situation where America is doing Chinese laundry.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Matrix Rising

www.chicagonow.com

And for the award for the bowing-est president evah goes to: Barack Hussein Obama. Give him a round of applause, folks.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen and Democrats, too, this most supplicating of all president is at it again, bowing to the Chinese in a recent meeting. What is wrong with this man?

Here are the "best hits" of our weakling president lowering himself and our nation in front of kings, tyrants and foreigners the world over...
(visit the link for the full news article)

I dont think he bows like a weakling, he is being respectful.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Bowing may be a form of social decorum in some situations in Korea and Japan, but it is significantly less so in China.

In China you DO NOT/SHOULD NOT bow to anyone non-blood related, unless you have really done something terribly wrong to them that is very unforgivable, or the person you are bowing to are really great people like war heroes or religious figures.

That being said, there is no coincidence in politics and there is no inappropriateness in diplomatic. Everything is carefully planned and executed. Even the photos were specifically shot in a way to send the correct message.

My interpretation of the message is that Obama is simply below these figures in the world's power hierarchy system which is separate from the stage show that we are presented with.

Will Kissinger or Brzezinski be required to bow to the people Obama bowed to? I don't think so.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
In international relations the correct hierarchy is that emperor outranks president. Not just that fact, but Obama was on the emperor’s homeland, thus even more respect is required. The United States is not, contrary to what many believe, the most powerful nation in the world, and has no more rights than any other to violate court protocol. Bowing is a sign of reverence, if you fail to accept other nation’s cultures then do not be concerned when they do not invite your president back for diplomatic talks. Do you wish your president to be treated as a child, or as an adult? I apologize for my sharp tone, but some of the comments written here are most distasteful and show a lack of respect for both culture and proper court protocol.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darcia
In international relations the correct hierarchy is that emperor outranks president. Not just that fact, but Obama was on the emperor’s homeland, thus even more respect is required. The United States is not, contrary to what many believe, the most powerful nation in the world, and has no more rights than any other to violate court protocol. Bowing is a sign of reverence, if you fail to accept other nation’s cultures then do not be concerned when they do not invite your president back for diplomatic talks. Do you wish your president to be treated as a child, or as an adult? I apologize for my sharp tone, but some of the comments written here are most distasteful and show a lack of respect for both culture and proper court protocol.

First of all the Chinese president is not an Emperor.
Second; Obama was not in the Chinese Presidents homeland. They were in Washington.
Bowing in not a customary form of greeting in China.
China did not invite Obama for Diplomatic talks. It was the other way around.
Proper respect for the Chinese culture would involve being aware that bowing is not appropriate, even for a head of state.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join