It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble Confirms Existence of Dark Matter (VIDEO)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Daily Galaxy

Interesting little video. I don't know about the whole dark matter thing because they claim that we know because of the expansion of our universe but how can we possibly judge that if we can only see a small fraction of it.

We have no idea what the size of our universe is, it could be only the observable, or it could be trillions of light years across.

Interesting video none the less.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Doesn't prove anything. All it proves is that all the laws of the universe are not known.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
..."a dark-energy dominated universe..."

Doesn't that sound just a little bit ominous?

I'll skip the biblical interpretations for now,but trust me,this is NOT good!

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   

A new study led by European scientists presents the most comprehensive analysis of data from the most ambitious survey ever undertaken by the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope. These researchers have, for the first time ever, used Hubble data to probe the effects of the natural gravitational “weak lenses” in space and characterise the expansion of the Universe. Dr. Martin Kilbinger of the Junior Resarch Group “Observational Astrophysics” at the Excellence Cluster Universe is one of the co-authors of the study to be published in an upcoming issue of Astronomy and Astrophysics.

A group of astronomers led by Tim Schrabback of the Leiden Observatory, conducted an intensive study of over 446.000 galaxies within the COSMOS field, the result of the largest survey ever conducted with Hubble. In making the COSMOS survey, Hubble photographed 575 slightly overlapping views of the same part of the Universe using the Advanced Camera for Surveys (ACS) onboard Hubble. It took nearly 1000 hours of observations.

www.universe-cluster.de...

1000 hours of observation time, half a million galaxies studied, countless man and computing hours all seem like a resounding confirmation to me.

I'm hesitant to say this is the final word on the matter though as we still don't understand the mechanism of either "dark" anomoly, but this is definatley a step in that direction.

Watch out Pred the "skeptics" are going to pound you on this one I think.

S&F

[edit on 12-4-2010 by constantwonder]

new topics

top topics

join