It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could the Russians get to Mars first?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 04:22 AM
link   
From this piece in Pravda it seems that the Russian cosmonauts are psychologically and physically prepared for the long flight to Mars.

english.pravda.ru...

They are even carrying out a simulated voyage to Mars to put this to the test.

Do the Russians have the money and technology to get man on Mars before the United States or does this simply guarantee them a few seats on a US-led expedition?

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Doubtful. Russia can barely fund the program they have today. They have to rely on NASA and space tourists paying $10 million per ride just to keep the program alive. A trip to Mars would take hundreds of millions of dollars to plan, test and execute.

My money is on China making it to Mars first. I can see them bypassing some of the ethical considerations around astronauts lives. I would expect them to launch numerous missions within the next 10 years and not tell anyone what is happening until they have either succeded or the news somehow leaks out.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I believe the Russains are completely capable. The American philosiphy of building something is to just throw money at everything to make the biggest, best and brightest. If a small bulb burns out, it will cost $10million to repair and develop a bulb that doesn't burn out (i refer to NASA spending millions on making a space pen where the russians use a pencil).

Russia for many years has been able to keep up with the USA technologically on a much smaller budget. The best way to get to Mars is with a global contribution. Russian and European cost saving knowhow with American determination and finances. China wouldn't stand a chance.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Agree, a global co-operation would be the best way.

However, it appears from this article that the Russkies are taking it very seriously by simulating a trip to Mars in its entirety.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Russia could do it despite money and technology concerns...

Russians are hardcore about doing thing cheap and easy. Even if they have to stuff a guy in a steel bubble with a tank of O2 they will try.

American likes to do things precisly but at minimal risk. Russians tend to think the goal is greater than high risk.

top topics

join