It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery fossil...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
So...I found this thing when I was about 6 years old. I never tried to find out what it was...all I know is that as a little girl, I made a few wishes on this thing and they came true, so I've held on to it for all these years.

My little girl calls it the wishing rock...and when I told her it was a fossil, she asked me what kind it was. I drew a blank. Can anyone help me figure out what it is/was? Here's a few pics, and I can get more if needed. Sorry it's blurry, but it is the only camera I have.

Thanks,
Ventessa

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/963ae4515326.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/011617227fde.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Ventessa

Hello Ventessa !

This may be of some help with your identification .

Identify Unknown Fossils ( by their shape)

I knew there would be a reason for bookmarking that webpage last week .

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
It appears to be a Crinoid. A very common fossil.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Thanks, I tried to find something similar to this on there, but it's different from all of them. This thing is weird... it's like a rock, brown and shaped funny, and on the inside, it has a bunch of shiny crystal looking things. The top has an indentation with lines everywhere... I'm not quite sure what it could be.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Do you think the indentations were made by crystals , it may also explain the geometric shape . Perhaps there were once crystals protruding out of it ?
It may not be a fossil at all .

it's like a rock, brown and shaped funny, and on the inside, it has a bunch of shiny crystal looking things. The top has an indentation with lines everywhere..

[edit on 12-4-2010 by UmbraSumus]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

It's possible. I'm not sure. It's friggin neat what ever it is though!!!
I'll put more pics up so you can see more of it. It might be a while though, I have to send them from my cell phone which takes FOREVER.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

I can`t go for a walk along the beach without bringing several kgs of curiously coloured and shaped stones & pebbles home with me .

Humans will have come and gone off the face of this Earth and that odd rock you have in your possession will still exist .

Thats my ATS for tonight .
See you around Ventessa !

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
hey there!...I'm pretty sure its a piece of horn coral...or the top of a piece that broke of the whole...most fossils in Indiana and Ohio date around 300 million years BP...this whole area was covered by a vast ocean thus most fossils that have not been eroded away are coral, trilobites, et al...

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
...the crystals are more than likely quartz that fused with the fossil...or something like that...sedimentation

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Thanks you guys. I'll put more pics up soon. still working on sending them from my phone. Hopefully they turned out better.
Good night!

top topics

join